Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Engine sputters, truck jerks 3000+ rpm

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine sputters, truck jerks 3000+ rpm

I wanted to write this thread because it caused me so much heart burn. I have a 1980 pickup but I'm sure this problem could span multiple years and models. My truck would chug, sputter, jerk and all manner of stupidity in the higher rpm range, then started doing it at lower and lower rpm. There would be temporary relief if I pumped the gas when the bafoonery would happen. This is my school of thought on the issue and the things I did to fix the issue.
  1. First of all I live near Salt Lake City and the elevation is around 4300 feet so I thought not enough O2 or a fuel delivery problem, but then I remembered that the same thing happened when I lived in Maryland at less than 100 feet elevation (too bad I forgot this info until later). The problem ceased when I swapped the coil.
  2. I swapped fuel filters, the engine chugged once and everything was fine for the rest of the day. Great I fixed it!
  3. I drove to work in the morning and the engine ran fine(cooler temps), then in the afternoon the chugging would return(warmer temps). So I thought there may be an issue with the temp of electrical components more specifically my coil and my ignitor (crane cams xr700).
  4. I swapped plugs and wires for the second time in 8 months. Problem gone, I FIXED IT!!!!
  5. 2 days later problem persists, this is when I remember I swapped the coil and all was fine, so I swapped it again in the AutoZone parking lot and drove home with it chugging like mad.
  6. Then I adjusted the timing, problem solved! THINK AGAIN!
  7. The days were getting warmer and I thought it had to be a heat issue and that the internals of the ignitor were failing and the problem was due to the heat. I used my old lady's hair dryer to heat up the ignitor and nothing happened. The motor would sometimes chug at idle but not often and I figured this could duplicate the problem.
  8. I ordered another ignitor. The next day I decided to check all the wires involved. I found a corroded wire between the coil + and spark softener. I replaced the wire and discovered the problem was still present but happened with much less frequency.
  9. I removed the ground wire from the coil and used a wire brush to clean the connections. It's been 2 weeks without issue. Now I have a spare ignitor.
Long story short if it's not fuel it's spark. Troubleshooting with your wallet can be effective but it's not the best solution. Try checking all connections in the effected system. I hope this helps someone.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Good grounds and good connections are your friend. Good info
Old 04-03-2017, 12:03 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

So many just look at the wiring and if they don`t seen a glaring problem just call things good.

Glad you figured it out even if it was by the long way.