Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Electrical Issues on my 86 22r HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical Issues on my 86 22r HELP!

Okay, so let me first start by saying I am no mechanic, and I am DEFINITELY not good with anything electrical. (I look at wiring diagrams like they are written in Ancient Cuneiform.)

Well, I love Toyota Trucks and recently purchased a new to me 1986 Pickup 4WD with the 22r Engine. After a day of driving it, I got home shut off the engine, and went inside. I came out later to start the truck and NOTHING. Just a "Click" noise coming from what sounded like under the hood near the starter relay. Well, I inspected the connections and did a little research and decided to replace the starter.

After installing the starter, the truck cranked right up and I drove it for a few days. But last night as I was driving home, I noticed my radio cut out, my headlights starting getting really dim, my dash lights got really dim and so I pulled over and cut the engine off. When I tried to start it again, there was the same "Click" sound and no start. Also my radio was on and working, but when I turned my headlights all the way on, it cut off, and the dash lights dimmed.

I rollstarted the truck and limped home (It's a manual) and parked. This morning the truck actually tried to start! But the battery was dead so I heard "click-click-click"

Here's my question following this lengthy post: Does this sound like an alternator problem, or God forbid something bad deep in the electrical system like a short, or bad ground, etc.?
Old 07-14-2016, 11:54 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Time to break out or buy a Multi meter !!

Get some real world voltage readings!!

First thing put the battery on the charger get it recharged

It could be a failed alternator

It might be a simple bad ground

If the wire from the B terminal of the alternator has never been changed they get old and brittle with age. Along with the other battery cables.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great news! I got home from work and checked all the connections and the alternator, and the alternator was COVERED in black sludge. So, I pulled the old one, got it tested and sure enough it was shot. Replaced it with a new alternator and been running and starting great. Let's hope this solved the problem. Thanks!