Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Coolant system. Need some input on this.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant system. Need some input on this.

My mother told me last night that she needed some washer fluid and stop at a parts store and the guy said he would fill it up for her but the dumb a$$ put the fluid in the coolant reservoir. She went back to the parts store two days later and told them the wiper light on the dash is still on and the guy went to go look then figured out he filled up the wrong one. He drained the coolant reservoir flushed it out and put coolant fluid back in and told mother that everything would be all right. She drove the car for two days with it wrong. My take on this is the coolant it self needs to be flushed. I know the fluids are being transferred from one to the other on the coolant system. The reservoir fluid will change when hot or cold so the washer fluid is in the coolant system. She 3 months back had the coolant system flushed.

Need some input on this.

Thanks
Stone
Old 12-15-2012, 02:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
They owe you a flush Id say.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:57 PM

The part that I am concerned with is the chemicals between the two.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:24 PM

Not really a big deal flush the system and it will be fine. Out of all the fluids that could have been added to your coolant washer fluid is the least abbrassive
Old 12-16-2012, 12:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have used washer fluid in a emergency in the radiator when the only other option was walking several miles to find water .

This was back in the days before cell phones.

I suffered no ill effects and ran this mixture for several months till I had to change a hose .

Then this was before all the fancy new coolant senors .

Tell your Mother to not be so lazy and put her own fluids in and if she does not know how it is time for her to learn.:jessica:
Old 12-16-2012, 02:00 AM

Nonsense, if mothers changed their own fluids they wouldn't be grateful to us for doing it for them, and then where would we be? Without grateful mothers, that's where. The fault here is clearly with the OP for sending his mother to an autoparts store instead of taking care of her like dutiful son should. Shame on you, OP, don't you love your mother?

Washer fluid is a mild combination of various solvents and detergents, she probably just has a really really clean radiator now. But it's not coolant, so drain it, flush it well, and refill. Make the parts store comp you a couple bottles of coolant for your trouble.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:19 AM

Well runner I do take care of my mother when I go home to visit my mother. I live 800 miles from her. So I didn't send her to the auto parts store. My mother is 85 years old. The last time I was home I set it up for her to take her car to this one shop to have her car needs taken care of. I found out this after the fact that she instead went to the part store.

To: wyoming9

If you even worked half as hard as my mother of 85 years old that still works 6 days a week and takes care of all her own financial needs and still drives where ever she needs to go. I think mother is doing just fine. How about you tell me how many 85 year old women you know maintain their own car?

Originally Posted by Utah4Runner86
Nonsense, if mothers changed their own fluids they wouldn't be grateful to us for doing it for them, and then where would we be? Without grateful mothers, that's where. The fault here is clearly with the OP for sending his mother to an autoparts store instead of taking care of her like dutiful son should. Shame on you, OP, don't you love your mother?

Washer fluid is a mild combination of various solvents and detergents, she probably just has a really really clean radiator now. But it's not coolant, so drain it, flush it well, and refill. Make the parts store comp you a couple bottles of coolant for your trouble.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're not supporting your 85 yr old mom? She has to work SIX days a week to support herself? I'm with Utah4runner on this one...

Shame, shame.....
Old 12-16-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe she don't want to be "taken care of? " I'd say, at 85, she's doing great. We all look out for my mom, but she lives close, and she doesn't need to be taken care of.
On topic, I think it'll be fine, but the store should do a drain/refill at no cost. Washer fluid is water, a little methyl alcohol maybe, and some detergents. Nothing horrible.

Sent from my LG-P505 using YotaTech
Old 12-16-2012, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by rokblok
You're not supporting your 85 yr old mom? She has to work SIX days a week to support herself? I'm with Utah4runner on this one...

Shame, shame.....

LMAOROTF!!!!

I moved my mom in with us back in July of 09. She went bad nuts in a month. I had to move her back home. She was p-off because the State of Tn. wouldn't give her a license because she couldn't see. She told that lady that she has be seeing and driving back when her daddy was just a thought. After she got home I called her insurance co and they pulled her insurance till she had her eyes fixed. As long as she has her coffee, smokes (2 pac a day) can work and drive and count her money every day then she is happy as can be.

Perfect health and they have no pills for being an old lady.

The old saying...... If mom is happy everyone is happy and if mom is not happy then no one is happy.

Who am I to argue?

Edit: I told her that the State of Tn did that to her insurance. LOL! Let's just say Tn would not want to talk to her.

Last edited by Heshup; 12-16-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:08 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

For all I knew your Mother could have been in her thirties.

My Mother still milked cows at that age so i know all about stubborn old women.

Just hope she never learns about the insurance or you will never know peace in this life time.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All I know is if my mom is 85 & has to work, it's gonna be hell on me.....

I'm sure your mom wants to get out and about and works just cause she can, I hope my mom does too.... But with all us kids, maybe someone else will luck out and get her.... She can visit me....

(Disclaimer: I love my mom, get along great with my mom, so does my wife and ALL my kids, I am just kidding around. Now my MIL.....different story)
Old 12-17-2012, 04:31 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Yo momma

Honest mistake with little to no repercussions I'd say.

This is why I'd never take my Toyota to anyone but the dealer or a trustworthy mechanic.

Did he check the blinker fluid and muffler bearings?

:wabbit2:
Old 12-17-2012, 05:03 AM

The only problem with this mistake is that some washer fluids contains ammonia, and it could create a problem in the future, just make sure they do a complete coolant flush and you should be ok I recommend the dealer its expensive bur worth it. I hope this helps
Old 12-18-2012, 07:22 PM

Mother went in this afternoon and had the Coolant flushed. All is good. Thanks for the input.