Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Convert topshift w56 to a forward shift w56?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convert topshift w56 to a forward shift w56?

I need to replace my transmission. I have a 91 with a forward shift xfer case. Im eyeing what appears to be a w56A(based off of marlins website). Is it possible to just simply change the rear/tail housings and the transfer case shift linkages around
Old 08-07-2010, 02:18 PM

I got a '93 Pickup with the W-56, standard tranny. The T-case I had on it was a forward shift (the FWD shifter was attatched to the tranny, not on top of the T-case.)

The T-case that was on the truck, was messed up somehow. Whenever in 4wd, whether 4-HI or 4-LO, it would make a loud ass clunking noise, and almost stop the truck when moving. CV's were fine, front diff is fine, drive shafts were fine, so I figured it was the T-case. I could even feel the clunk in my ass. Another reason I figured it was the T-case cause it was right under me.

I picked up an entire W-56 tranny with a T-case. I didn't look close enough at my setup, and didn't do much research prior to buying the donor setup. I removed my T-case and realized I had the "forward shift" T-case, and the donor was a top shift!

After standing around, and smoking a few cig's to relieve some stress, I noticed the only difference between the two, was the shift forks. (If I could figure out how to put pics on here, I'd put them up and show you to make more sense.) Anyways! I started first by taking apart the donor T-case because I've never dug into anything like this yet, and being a student at WyoTech, I haven't gone through the transmission part of the course either. So, I took the challenge upon myself.

After opening up the case, there really wasn't much to the T-case. I noticed that all I had to do, was switch the shift forks for the 4wd SHIFTER. I took the forks out of the donor which, by the way, was quite easy. Just do NOT lose the little detent balls or whatever you want to call them. (If you want more info about certain precautions, let me know.)

After I got the forks out, I took my T-case apart, and took those ones out. Put them into the new donor one, put it back together with some red, Permatex Gasket Maker because the T-case is aluminum, and the red won't eat through aluminum. $16.99 is cheaper than some gasket kits I've found.

The weather has been rainy, and I can't install the T-case back into the truck at school, so I'm waiting for the weather to clear up and get a helping hand to install it.

If you know how to post pics, let me know how and I'll put them up ASAP!
Old 08-07-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by 93yotapickup
After I got the forks out, I took my T-case apart, and took those ones out. Put them into the new donor one, put it back together with some red, Permatex Gasket Maker because the T-case is aluminum, and the red won't eat through aluminum. $16.99 is cheaper than some gasket kits I've found.

If you know how to post pics, let me know how and I'll put them up ASAP!
Permatex eats through aluminum!!!???

Try photobucket for pics....
Old 08-10-2010, 02:39 PM

They're all color-coded for different applications. So, you need to get the correct one. Wherever you buy/bought it from, you need to ask the the seller, or even read the package maybe to make sure it's compatible for you application. I'm sure they have a website with all the info you need.