Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Cold Air intake vs Deck plate mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cold Air intake vs Deck plate mod

Ok, i have heard people tell me this one, that one.

So tell me which one you think is better and why. Price is not an issue in this case as a friend has one that i can have just need a new filter. I am looking for the best gain in power and MPG. Noise is not a problem either.

So which is better??
Old 04-08-2007, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
since price is not an issue since its free the choice is yours. i would personally go with the deckplate and isr since its easy to do and looks really clean. definitely get a truflow though.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:23 PM

Definately go with the deckplate and ISR mod if you plan on doing any offroading, cold air intakes are just like a big straw, they'll suck water right in. Thats why I got rid of my cold air. Did the deckplate and ISR with the trueflow filter, I think it sounds better then my cold air did.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

So water is a problem i have heard but can you really drive a stock 4runner through deep enough water to get into it without it messing something up first?

Plus there are not really any deep streams where i off road so it is not really a big deal to me. And i will always have the stock airbox ready to put in if need be. I want to most power gain!
Old 04-08-2007, 03:10 PM

This should really be in the newbie section as there a million threads on this topic. You are always going to have two sides on any mod, Its up to you to figure which side youre comfortable with. If money is not an issue buy a cold air intake (which sits right where the deckplate would)....while the factory box is out, do the deckplate..then switch it up. or why dont you just make a hybrid of the two.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Godzilla
This should really be in the newbie section as there a million threads on this topic. You are always going to have two sides on any mod, Its up to you to figure which side youre comfortable with. If money is not an issue buy a cold air intake (which sits right where the deckplate would)....while the factory box is out, do the deckplate..then switch it up. or why dont you just make a hybrid of the two.

Yes, i admit i am a bit of a noob to modding 4x4's. I have been around cars all my life and can do just about anything and know what does what ect... but one thing i have never had a chance to try is my own 4x4, i have helped many friends with theres but never my own.

And what you said is about what i was thinking, i just want to see what ya'll would say about it. So they will both have about the same power gain?
Old 04-08-2007, 05:11 PM

I think the deckplate is a little bit less. But the security of a sealed air box is worth it to me. Even though if you don't go through a deep water crossing, hitting water fast enough will create a splash that could get ingested. I just got sick of switching out my cold air to stock every time I went wheeling.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by guapo83
I think the deckplate is a little bit less. But the security of a sealed air box is worth it to me. Even though if you don't go through a deep water crossing, hitting water fast enough will create a splash that could get ingested. I just got sick of switching out my cold air to stock every time I went wheeling.
Well since i can only work out enough time to really hit the trails about once a month i think i will go with the cold air. It is so dry here most of the time that water is not a big enough deal to worry about but once every now and then. But when it does rain it makes for some of the BEST off-roading!

Thanks for all the tips!
Old 04-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

The couple of dynoed Tacomas I saw with a $200 intakes on 'em produced the same 7-8whp a deckplate does.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:38 PM

Ya.......most of those intakes are way over priced!
Old 04-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

but i can get a K&N one for virtually FREE If it was not for that i would just do the deck plate mod. But all i need is a standard 3" filter and it is good to go. So for a good brand name about $30 for a cold air intake, not too bad.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:38 PM

If you have already made up your mind, why did you post a question? Everyone is telling you that the Deckplate is better, but you want to do a cold air. Just do it then...post your questions you want answers too...not ones you have already answered yourself.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by k_southman
If you have already made up your mind, why did you post a question? Everyone is telling you that the Deckplate is better, but you want to do a cold air. Just do it then...post your questions you want answers too...not ones you have already answered yourself.
Dude not cool...he asked what has more gains in power and he got answered and ppl told him they're opinions does that mean he has to do it? Dude come on...oh and i vote for the cold air sounds cooler and im almost positive it has more gain! So have fun texas ace and have fun with ur new 4runner and since ur from texas(i think) GO COWBOYS!(hopefully lol)
Old 04-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by k_southman

Actually i had not made up my mind, but the only down side i have been told so far is that the deck plate is better with water, which i don't have to worry about. I still have not 100% made up my mind. As i said the biggest thing i was looking for is power gain and MPG gain. I was wanting to know which was better and what the real differnce would be between them.

Originally Posted by runner4thebeat
Dude not cool...he asked what has more gains in power and he got answered and ppl told him they're opinions does that mean he has to do it? Dude come on...oh and i vote for the cold air sounds cooler and im almost positive it has more gain! So have fun texas ace and have fun with ur new 4runner and since ur from texas(i think) GO COWBOYS!(hopefully lol)
You are correct, i was wanting to know which added the most power and mpg. i had not (and still have not) made up my mind 100%. From past experiances i like the round air filters better and the cold air has worked better but that was also on cars and not 4x4's. I just wanted infomation before i decided one way or another, i always research before i do anything.

And yes i am from the great big state of Texas Baby! And the Cowboys are MY team...lol.

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 04-08-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:29 PM

Read the comparions of the k/n fipk v. stock v. deckplate

http://www.gadgetonline.com/Dyno.htm...20combinations

Originally Posted by runner4thebeat
You have to realize that if you read the vast amount of info on this topic on here all the questions are already answered, and yes it does seem that he wants the fipk/cold air intake beacuse even after all the replies and info he still is considering it..
Old 04-08-2007, 08:40 PM

Dudes

You have to realize that if you read the vast amount of info on this topic on here all the questions are already answered, and yes it does seem that he wants the fipk/cold air intake beacuse even after all the replies and info he still is considering it..

That was my point...It seems like a search would have done alot of good in this case. Sorry dudes. Didn't mean to be "Not Cool." dude.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

THAT is the kind of info i was looking for! Now with some hard numbers i see why there the deck plate is a good idea.

And i have searched the forum for info on this, i could never come up with anything other than trueflow filiters are the best for the stock box and do the deck plate because it is cheap and easy. I never could find a reason for it. The link above is what i was looking for, now i think i understand why the deck plate is better. The reason i was biased towards the cold air is because i have always used them on my cars and they have always done great.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

Expensive intakes do look cooler than the stock box when you open the hood and sometimes that's worth the price.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Expensive intakes do look cooler than the stock box when you open the hood and sometimes that's worth the price.
True and this is one reason i was wanting to go with the Cold air if it gave the same/more power. but if those dyno runs are acurate then i guess you get more power from the deck plate.

But what i don't know is if those results still apply to a NA 3.4L. I know a dyno around here, i might get the cold air filiter and just try them out on my NA 3.4 and see what happends. But i think i will stay with the deck plate until then.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:18 PM

I havent looked into CAIs for 4rnrs, so first a quick question.
Where is the CAI located on a 4rnr?
If its the same location as the stock air box, as someone mentioned, with a little inginuity, wouldnt it be pretty easy to make a splash shield?

I can see it being an issue if the CAI is mounted lower than stock (as with most sedans/coupes), but is its the same as stock...

just wondering.
tdk.

Quick Reply: Cold Air intake vs Deck plate mod