Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Bleeding (or just bypassing?) rear ABS

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bleeding (or just bypassing?) rear ABS

a few of my brake lines are rusting out, and I am looking to replace just about all of the plumbing for the system. with all lines having been removed, my first question is, what is the ACTUAL method for filling & bleeding the ABS system in this truck? (92 SR5 4x4) Most of the guides are assuming that the ABS lines are still full ("disconnect the battery and bleed like normal"), but in my case im starting with them completely dry - would I need to follow the computerized OEM way of doing it? Id rather just tow the truck to the dealer in that case. Or would a pressure-bleed from above take care of filling the abs components also?

An easier DIY solution, would be to just bypass the rear ABS completely. It doesnt really provide much benefit so I dont mind removing it, but I can't seem to find any information on it. If it is anything like my Honda, it should be no more complicated than just bypassing the loop that originally fed in/out of the ABS modulator, and removing all of the wiring - but there may be something unique to these trucks that I am unaware of, so I would like any advice before I start.

I'm considering removing the LPSV as well, any side effects I should expect? This isn't as big of a deal as the ABS, just looking for insight.

would really appreciate some help, its time to get this thing moving again! thanks.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, my case isn't exactly like yours, but I replaced the rear brake line on my 4Runner last year and ripped out the (more correctly) LSBPV. Bleeding was simply a matter of doing the rears first and then the fronts.

And anyone who is going to chime in that removing the valve will cause chaos, I have yet to see it, since my ABS works and keeps the back end planted. I have had zero issues with it, despite braking hard in snow, rain, and dry road conditions.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my situation was a litte different then yours but i was having issues with my wheel speed scensors so i just pulled the relay for the abs out and disabled the system. i drove for 15 years without abs, i reckon i can get by without it now. if it dont matter to you if you have it i wouldnt waste alot of time worrying about it.