Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Best overall offroad tire!

Old 07-09-2006, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best overall offroad tire!

OK, I did some searching and couldnt find what I was looking for, but if I suck at searching, I hope I'm not beating a dead horse.

I was just wanting some opinions on tires. Which are quietest, which wear best, which perform best in mud and off road, which have longest life....

I know I could slap some street tires on there and get a quiet long good wearing tire... but thats not what I'm talking about. I'm running 265 BFG ATs right now and they seem fairly quiet, seem to be wearing evenly and dont seem to be wearing down too quickly (from what I can tell) but I'm not too satisfied with their mud performance, they fill up just spin, but they do very well on dry or rocky surfaces, so I still enjoy them.

I'm new to the whole offroading scene, so I was hoping some of you more experienced people could guide me in the right direction for my next set of tires (hopefully 285s), and would like to find a quiet even, slow wearing mud terrain tire, but I think thats just asking for a miracle.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think the tire you're looking for exists but from what I've read here, Revos, Nitto Terragrapplers and Yokohama Geolanders might fit the bill.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is what you do. Wheel WHATEVER TIRE YOU HAVE for a while. Figure out what type of wheeling you do, whether it is serious or casual/not very difficult, dry rocks or a lot of mud, etc, etc, etc. Then once you have decided this decide if you want better off road performance enough that you will deal with slightly worse on road performance. If you decide that you like to wheel and you don't mind a louder tire that wears a little quicker then get an MT. MT's are louder on the road and wear faster, if you can't deal with that, then it doesn't matter what kind of wheeling you do, you should get an AT. If you can stand an MT then try to find one that matches the type of wheeling you do. Here in NE where there is a lot of wetness and mud mixed with the rocks, I wouldn't run MTR's if my life depended on it, however, if I were in Moab I might. To sum it up:

1. Decide if you can deal with loud tires that wear semi-poorly. All MT's are like this to some extent.

2. Based on this decision, pick a tire that matches the terrain you do most.

Last edited by Intrepid; 07-09-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Wazioc
OK, I did some searching and couldnt find what I was looking for, but if I suck at searching, I hope I'm not beating a dead horse.

I was just wanting some opinions on tires. Which are quietest, which wear best, which perform best in mud and off road, which have longest life....

I know I could slap some street tires on there and get a quiet long good wearing tire... but thats not what I'm talking about. I'm running 265 BFG ATs right now and they seem fairly quiet, seem to be wearing evenly and dont seem to be wearing down too quickly (from what I can tell) but I'm not too satisfied with their mud performance, they fill up just spin, but they do very well on dry or rocky surfaces, so I still enjoy them.

I'm new to the whole offroading scene, so I was hoping some of you more experienced people could guide me in the right direction for my next set of tires (hopefully 285s), and would like to find a quiet even, slow wearing mud terrain tire, but I think thats just asking for a miracle.
My friend! You need two sets of tires! 285 BFG AT's and 285 Interco SSR's like me.

Aaron
Old 07-09-2006, 05:25 PM

sounds like I should stick with the BFG AT's for a while. I love the looks of the mud terrain tires, and I'm sure they would work a lot better for me, but I do too much on road driving and I would have em warn out in no time. As for the two sets of tires, I would then need two sets of rims, and I need a lift before I upgrade my tires, and while I'm in college, I dont see having money to buy 2 sets of tires, or room to store them. Thanks for the help so far guys
Old 07-09-2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Wazioc
sounds like I should stick with the BFG AT's for a while. I love the looks of the mud terrain tires, and I'm sure they would work a lot better for me, but I do too much on road driving and I would have em warn out in no time. As for the two sets of tires, I would then need two sets of rims, and I need a lift before I upgrade my tires, and while I'm in college, I dont see having money to buy 2 sets of tires, or room to store them. Thanks for the help so far guys

Now your thinking........ yeah I got the lift "SS toyota" lift. Then upgrade tires later from 265's to 285's Bought the SSR's from a guy who needed cash and they were already mounted to the same limited wheels I already had soo pretty sweet. Drove those for a while and ran into a buddy who was selling his 285 AT's off of his Mercedes, because he switches tires like he changes undewear.

But yeah think it out then make your action plan.

Aaron