Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

99 4runner 3.4 stalls like out of gas but isn't

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 4runner 3.4 stalls like out of gas but isn't

Hi folks, I'm new to this forum. I've been searching for 3 days and haven't found any posts with the same exact issue as mine so I thought I'd put it up and see if anyone can help.

I've had my 4Rnr for about 3 months without any major issues. It's a 1999, 3.4L 2WD Automatic. It has 209,000 miles on it and about 3 weeks ago I used it to move from Texas to Colorado, pulling a trailer. Half way through the trip the fuel gauge seemed to stop going below half a tank (except when you power off the vehicle, then it goes to E).

I haven't had any major issues with it and just fill up ever 220 miles or so. Then about a week ago I was doing some major city driving, stop and go traffic, running around town. At one point I got in and started the truck and it started up and then started sputtering and died, like it had run out of gas. I tried for several minutes to restart but it wouldn't. I had only gone 116 miles since filling up and it showed "half a tank". Thinking I had a fuel leak or something, I walked to the gas station and bought a gallon of gas and came back. Took about 20 minutes. I tried the truck again before putting gas in and it wouldn't start. I put the gallon of gas in and it started right up. I drove straight to the station and filled up, it ONLY took 7 gallons.

Thinking maybe something was loose in the tank, I kept a spare gallon of gas in the vehicle in case it happens again. Drove all week no problem. Then day before yesterday filled up again and drove from Denver to Colorado Springs and back. Highway, city driving, stop and go traffic. Got back to town no problem. At 156 miles, showing "Half a tank," I was stopped at a light. As I started to go, it stalled in the middle of the intersection and wouldn't restart. Pushed it off the road, but had my spare gallon. I put the gallon of gas in but this time it wouldn't restart. Tried several times and nothing. Waited about 5 minutes and tried again, it started right up. Took it to the gas station to fill up, 8 gallons.

When it stalls, I still have all the power available (lights, windows, radio, etc.) It turns over and cranks like out of gas. I do not have a check engine light coming on or anything. Been driving the past two days without any problems, though getting close to the half tank mark. Any ideas what this might be?
Old 05-22-2012, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE: So I drove it almost 200 miles without a stall, albeit the longest continuous trip was less then 20 miles. Also, the fuel gauge went down to a quarter, even though at 2oo miles in the past it showed empty and the fuel light came on.

I'm wondering, can a bad catalytic converter cause a stall when it gets too hot and not let the car start again till it cools? I don't know anything about exhaust systems, but I've noticed when the car is cold the exhaust vibrates a lot. Also, the truck seems somewhat underpowered for a 3.4L.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds more like a fuel pump problem to me... If the gauge dosent always read correctly, I would suspect faulty wiring, or just a faulty sender...