Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

91 truck not getting fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So when I manually open the mas. The truck sends fuel. So that means my cor is good? Could my tps have anything to do with the problem?
Old 04-03-2011, 12:10 PM

DDoDoeDoes this also mean that my efi main relay is good as well cause I tried with the new and the old efi main and got fuel both times.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:11 PM

Sorry my phones missing and adding letters. lol.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Ya know, i'm not SURE if it means the COR is good or not, Irish. Hmmmm. I think it's a good sign that the AFMeter is not your problem though.

Far as the TPS> ....I can't remember if it wants to start with it disconnected, but you could try, it wont hurt anything to try and start it when disconnected. The truck, when the TPS is disconnected, will go into a "pre set" mode for things, keeping you from causing ping, etc., I believe. Anyway, one of the tests for the TPS is to just remove it when runnning, ....if the idle goes up, it's at least 'effecting change' in there.. Doesn't mean it's adjusted properly, but yeah, it's not 'FRIED', ya know? You can't get it started, so I doubt it would cause you to just 'START' all the sudden...but you could try just disconnecting the connector and turning it over.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by half cocked irishman
DDoDoeDoes this also mean that my efi main relay is good as well cause I tried with the new and the old efi main and got fuel both times.
haha...don't worry bout the typos, I can figure it out, lol.

Ok, so, .."I got fuel both times".. By this I assume you mean, "The fuel pump motor is PLUGGIN AWAY", ....right?

Secondly, I'm starting to think that your issue might be either "Injector" or maybe even "Ignition" related.

Third, .....I have to run for 10 minutes, but I'll be back, and in the meantime, could you just answer me as to whether;

A. you are CERTAIN you have continuous GOOD HOT spark when turning the motor over?

B. you have pulled the cold start injector, turned the motor over and KNOW that it's pushing full pressure through that injector? (Keep a rag there and turn over...it should soak it in no time..more importantly, you should SEE fuel coming out in pulses from the seal you broke loose).

C. Check the book for testing of the Injector Resistor. It looks like an finned Amplifier on the pass fender all, high up near hood, bout 3/4 back from the front. Don't have the book in front of me, but it HAS been at least ONE guys issue on here. A guy I know, who has been very helpful to me.

D. I have to read back in my book, which I don't have on me right now, as to "IN what order do these things occur in order to get fuel to rail, get fuel THROUGH injectors, etc. But, if you turn the motor over, see fuel shooting out from the Cold Start Injector seal, ...then you DEFINITELY have what seems to be a working COR. HOWEVER, they CAN go bad, slowly, as mine did. Mine was more of a "After running for a while, it wouldn't restart". Yours seems MUCH more to do with either EFI/Injector function or Ignition.

Just wondering, .....if you get to where you've tried most everything, and you find "I HAVE SPARK, COMPRESSION, AIR, FUEL, TIMING IS ON WITH DIZZY AT PROPER MARK ON CAM,...YET NO GO GO!' lol...then, would you wanna try to test the ECU connections? It can tell you a lot. Clearly, that would be AFTER verifying the obvious, ya know?
Old 04-03-2011, 12:33 PM

Send me some ecu testing info if u can. I'm checking all those things again. Appreciate all your help.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:11 PM

Yeah, the ECU testing stuff is in a 88MB file on my computer, not the book. I have some of it in Photobucket, but it would be so much easier for you to just download it thru a link from one of these guys( I'll try to get a hold of the guy who sent me the link, ...IT'S GOLDEN to have, ya know? lol.) Then, I can look in mine and kinda help you fish through where you need to be(what pages, etc.).

I'll check back as soon as I can. They just had guests show up, sooooooooo, ...yeah, gotta feed the drunkards by the pool! lol.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:20 PM

I have the same file but only on my phone. So its hard to read.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:48 PM

Hey man, sorry, LONG day that's not even finished, lol.

Can't you upload it to the PC and print out the EFI section? I just printed out the ECU testing pages and the AFM, 02, etc., wound up being like 12 Pages. Then I printed out the ignition section pages that i needed.

Any answers on the questions/list of things to try I posted? I'll check back in later, just a really busy one as they have guests.

Mark
Old 04-03-2011, 06:53 PM

Hey, here's the link to my Photobucket Album that I have large portions of the FSM, etc. I really just don't have time right this minute to search for the ECU section, troubleshooting, etc. But feel free to browse away, man. This is from an 87 FSM that I took pics of after borrowing it from the Foreman at the dealer.....

http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/e...vice%20Manual/
Old 04-03-2011, 06:54 PM

PS> just in case you don't know, Photobucket loads backward, so the first pic there is actually the last I uploaded(last in order as pages) ya know?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:19 PM

I'm now pretty confident the ecu is bad. All efi electrical system checks out good. Fuel pressure is good. Spark and timing are good .compression is good. And injector wiring is good. I'm thinking the truck starts up fine off the cold start injector and for some reason the ecu won't send signal to tell other injectors to kick on so truck dies as soon as it starts. Testing of all ecu wiring to commence shortly. Will test resistance at every pin as described in the fsm.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:41 PM

..... Be sure to read those couple pages carefully as pertaining to the "No.10 and No.20 Tests", as there is one for voltage reading at the ECU for that as well as resistance, .....but I think the resistance is going through the 'Injector Voltage Resistor'..... which I'm PRETTY SURE can cause them to just shut down, if bad. Just sayin,...maybe test that resistor before hitting the ECU?(Pretty sure one of the tests is AT the ECU, lol.. but I think you can test the resistor, itself, as I remember doing it...just now how, lol.

Best wishes, Irish!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:43 PM

Maybe at least put the year, make, swaps it's endured and model of your rig in your Sig, too? Many people will not read back much, especially if they don't know what rig, etc/have to ask, etc., lol.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:36 PM

So I did the tests on the ecu for efi system as the fsm described and my ohms are way off. I believe the one that sticks out the most is VSA to E2 its supposed to have .02-.10 ohms resistance with the throttle valve fully closed and mines putting out 139.6 ohms. And that's one of many errors. Now my question is, my runner is a Canadian / Federal edition, so will it matter if I use an American ecu or should I get a new NG 22r ecu as what's in it right now?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah replace with whats in it in the ecu case. every model from what i understand are different. like Canadian vs us model and state model vs California model...
Old 04-05-2011, 09:48 PM

Thanks for info. Now do u know of a place to get one written a decent price. Seen online one for almost 600.00
Old 04-05-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
call nix up by you, there in everett.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:00 PM

Haha nice. I didn't even think of them. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:51 PM

So I tried my buddies ecu. Exact same as mine and got no improvements. Gonna have to threw all efi wiring again and see if I missed something loose or a ground or something.

Quick Reply: 91 truck not getting fuel