Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

87 4Runner misfiring even with new engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 4Runner misfiring even with new engine

Well, y'all, I thought this $2,500 lifted 1987 4Runner with 33 inch mud tires was going to be an awesome investment for a hunting truck. I am now up to over $10,000 and it's still not running right.

First I had to replace the entire engine with a remanufactured one, because the seller told me the engine only had 40,000 miles on it but neglected to tell me they had assembled it with RTV instead of a gasket set. So the engine was toast. It's a 22REI.

While I was at it, I replaced clutch, starter, alternator, battery, tie rods, exhaust pipes, basically everything under the hood and more.

On my first trip to Austin, I didn't even get out of Dallas before the engine started stumbling and missing, so I brought it right back to the shop, where they decided all 4 injectors were bad and needed replacing.

$800 later, I am driving it from Dallas to Austin (about 3 hours), and on the outskirts of Austin I started noticing that it was running rough, and felt as if one cylinder was not firing. It would drop down to about 50mph going up minor hills. Then it felt like 2 cylinders were missing, and I barely limped it into a repair shop. They told me 2 injectors were bad and my previous shop had forgotten to hook up some vacuum hoses.

About $500 later, I was on the road again, and made it halfway back to Dallas before it started missing again. It felt like 1 cylinder was missing, and I limped it back to the shop in Dallas that had installed the engine. They said 2 injectors were bad and replaced them, and oh by the way the previous shop left a vacuum hose disconnected. But then they decided it wasn't the injectors after all, but a bad ECM.

So they shopped around until they found a used ECM and installed it. $800 later I am on the road again, for about an hour, when it starts missing again.

I pulled it into the driveway and it is sitting there until I find someone who knows how to make an (expletive deleted) 87 4Runner run properly.

They said that the ECM required some kind of "breakout box" to adjust the mass airflow sensor or some other stuff, and they couldn't find anybody who had this breakout box. Is that right?

How can I get the proper adjustments made on this engine so I can drive my $10,000 4Runner? Or should I just set fire to it?

Frustrated and Disappointed in Dallas
Dave