Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

5VZ-FE Engine trouble after installing Supercharger and performing multiple repairs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5VZ-FE Engine trouble after installing Supercharger and performing multiple repairs.

I have a 1997 4runner (limited) with the e-locker and factory alarm, 150,000 miles, automatic, 4x4, 5VZ-FE, 1st gen TRD supercharger.

I recently started a project to rebuild and install a TRD 1st gen supercharger on my 5VZ-FE 6 cylinder. The 4runner I'm installing it on was pretty neglected in terms basic maint, the timing belt was original, the valve cover leaked heavily, the plugs and wires were of unknown origin, and the oil filter had rust growing on it.

Timing belt: I've done a couple of timing belts on subarus and a 3.5l 07 highlander, so I'm fairly certain everything was in order when I buttoned it back up. I didn't take off the timing gear, or cam gears, and I didn't mess with the crank or cam position sensors.

After the timing belt I replaced the plugs, wires and injector seals and valve cover gaskets. I used NGK wires, felpro seals with the Denso IK22 2 step colder plugs (in prep for the supercharger)

I rebuilt the supercharger with all new bearings and seals, routed the vacuum lines according to Gadget from URD's page, and I used the newer dynamic tensioner kit on the drive belt. Everything spun freely and looked good based on specs.

I torqued everything to the proper specs, everywhere a spec is listed.

I cranked it for the 1st time today and it started up roughly, but fired on the 1st crank. It sputtered and chuged like I was missing a cylinder, or had blown a plug out of the hole. I shut the engine off and cranked it again, reving a little to see if it was just crud on the valves (heavily sludged when I did the valve covers). No improvement so after a few seconds, I shut it down and started troubleshooting from the top.

I checked everything, Starting with injectors and coil packs. I had read that you can disconnect the coil packs sequentially while the engine is running and determine where you're missing. The 1st two coil packs killed the engine when disconnected so I went to pull plugs on the last coil pack and found I hadn't put a plug in the last cylinder on the passenger side. I was sooooo careful putting everything in place, but somehow I'd missed that plug under the coil pack! Oh well, you cant go back in time.

I thought I had it fixed, put the plug back in, proper torque... went to start it up and it just cranks and cranks, no sign of firing.

I could smell fuel (could smell it in the tail pipe as well) after cranking for a bit and I didnt see any leaks, so I figured the engine may be flooded. I let it sit, but after an hour it still wouldnt crank.

I pulled the plugs and they were wet, but not dripping and the cylinders looked wet but not full of fuel. I dried the plugs, and tested for spark, I had good fat blue spark when cranking. So I reinstalled plugs, cranked it over but it still wouldnt start.

I've now used an ohmmeter to test the cam shaft and crank shaft sensors, all coil packs, the ignitor module and I've rechecked all vacuum lines.

I tried to start it with the gas pedal fully depresed with the key in the on position, just keeps on cranking.

I removed the air filter and sprayed 2 seconds of starting fluid, just keeps on cranking.

Cleaned the MAF and sprayed 3 seconds of starting fluid into the open butterfly on the throttle body while cranking, just keeps on cranking.

I am recharging the battery now, and waiting for advice.

No codes were thrown, and the check engine light illuminates as designed when the key is in the on position.

All fuses are good and the relay was replaced with a known good relay from the tail lights. ECM, Ignition, etc were all checked.

Why would it run only on 5 cylinders (multiple times) but then just crank and crank, with 6 cylinders.

I've got spark, I've got fuel (or even if I don't, I have starting fluid) and I have air, I can see and hear the supercharger turning freely like it should.

I would say timing, but if it ran on 5 cylinders, the timing and components couldnt have been far off.

I even pulled a strong battery and jumped it to mine to get a stronger crank

Nothing seems to check out.

Please help! Thanks in advance.