Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

4Runner newbie, first post, a few basic questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 4Runner newbie, first post, a few basic questions...

Hello all! Two weeks ago I decided that it was no longer worth it to sink money into my Cherokee, so I purchased a 2007 4Runner Sport. So far I have removed the stock roof rack crossbars and set up my Thule racks, put in Husky mats all round, and installed a Westin Ultimate Bull Bar.

My first question involves the Bull Bar- It is mounted properly but when looking at it from the top, one side seems to be about 1/2" further away from the front bumper than the other side. I'm thinking the bar itself was made a little warped. It doesn't bother me, but I noticed it. Has anyone else noticed this on theirs?

I may be able to get a set of PIAA 5164's at wholesale. I have been reading here that many of you use Toyota switches for them. I understand they look better on the dash, but is there anything actually bad about the PIAA switch? Will an annoying LED light up when they are on or something? Just wondering.

I have also been reading some horror stories about these stock Dunlops. I had BFG AT KO's on my Cherokee, but I'm thinking I may go with the Bridgestone Revo's on the 4Runner. I showed my wife what other people have written about the Dunlop's and she agrees that we should eventually get new tires. She suggested before winter, I'm thinking before August. What other info can I throw at her to get them quicker?

Lastly, is it worth it to pick up a K&N filter? I had one in my old truck, but didn't notice too much of a difference. I want to mess with my new truck's computer as little as possible. Proper sized tires, no weird add ons, etc. I did a search but K&N doesn't come up, even though I see it here and there while browsing.

If someone could point me to relevant links, that would be great.

I have been lurking here for the last two weeks and have already learned a lot! I hope to learn a lot more.

Thanks,

Ted

Last edited by Kraeken; 07-13-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to YT, Ted. Can't help answer your 4th Gen questions, but as far as tires, you might tell your wife when you find a set of tires ON SALE. They seem to respond to that pretty well. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tires sound good. Just say they are on sale...

Personally, i think the people that do CAI's are crazy. Keep the stock air cleaner intact and blow the money on other mods. Letting extra air in means letting extra dirt in. Thats not good for a brand new motor.

As far as the bull bar, must be a manufacturer goof up, because i never heard of one like that (unless someone hit a tree...).

Smart choice, btw, to go Toyota! remember, you can look at other Jeeps and their over zealous owners and go, "I got your Jeep thing... Now it hurts when i pee." Watch their expressions..

Good luck and welcome to Yota Tech! There is a great wealth of information on here!
Old 07-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome, stay away from K&N, not worth the money. Yeah, Dunlops are just basic, cheap tires. Get either the Revos, Geolander AT's or Nitto Terra Grappler AT(seems to be popular here).
Old 07-14-2007, 04:16 PM

as far as the K&N most people her use a filter called True Flow, do a search and you will mind TONS of info.

Tires brake soen like this as far as I can tell on this board. Most of us run either BFG's, Yokohama Geolanders and Goodyear MTs

Welcome to Yotatech, and just because you are no longer a jeeper dont think you're gonna save $$$ cause even a new 4Runner has lots of room to improve, in fact you may find out that brush guard is worthless the longer you hand out here. Search TJM or ARB to see what I mean.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:33 AM

Thanks! I know my Bull Bar is mostly cosmetic, but it will serve as a light mount, a tie down point for canoes and stuff, and most importantly, protection from Staten Island parking lots! Plus when my wife suggests I buy something for the car, I don't hesitate. I may wait a few years to install a serious aftermarket bumper. Most of the offroading I do is beach and snow, with some muddy woods here and there.

I'll stay away from K&N filters as well.

Ted