Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

3VZE horsepower advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:31 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
best mod to the 3.0L power wise is to add .4 liters of displacement to it.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:32 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
gears will give you the best bang for your buck in the pants dyno
Agreed.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
gears will give you the best bang for your buck in the pants dyno
True as can be

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
best mod to the 3.0L power wise is to add .4 liters of displacement to it.
^X2
Old 03-24-2011, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To be honest....im a huge fan of toyota...but id like to stick a gm 4.3 in one, just for the hell of it.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:44 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I've owned both engines, 22re and 3.slo.

22re has a timing chain that is a PITA to change, and to top that it's an interference engine. These are not correctable issues(steel guides do not make this a 300k engine between chain changes, so don't bother arguing that). I personnally like the simplicity of the 22re over the 3vz, but the timing chain is intimidating to the regular DIYer(I've done several).

3VZ-E has a bad exhaust design and possible headgasket issues. These two ARE correctable.

Every engine has it's issues, Pick your poison.

to The OP:
Fix the exhaust issue first, bypass the collector that burns up the #6 exhaust valve, headers will fix this issue, or search for 3vze Crossover eliminator mod, or Chief Pipe Mod(i think).

If you want more then a few extra horses, look into an engine swap, neither the 22re or the 3.0 yeild strong hp numbers from mods.(period)

Search is your friend, use it and be amazed at the mods you will find.
The following users liked this post:
rojogrande (12-10-2022)
Old 03-24-2011, 11:45 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RE-RE
Agreed.
OOOOH, a new pic of the rig in your ID.... ME LIKEY that truck, RE-RE! lol.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:07 PM

Thanks! Same truck, same day even, just a different angle. Those pics are about a year old. New ones to come soon I hope, the trucks so close to running again.

This was my fix for the cross over pipe. Dont have the skill or the time to make my own headers yet, and cant afford pre made ones.

Photo541.jpg?t=1298337429

Last edited by rattlewagon; 03-24-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:26 PM

Wow, you're definitely close! Videos gonna be up of first run, etc.?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:29 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Header wrap? I dont think thats gonna do any good. the Crossover is already covered by a heat absorbant canister. Sure it gets hot, but its not gonna change anything. it gets hot in that cubby where the Crossover sits, this will probably just make it hotter.

If you haven't put the motor back in yet, and are low on funds. I have an idea that you might like:

Pull that ugly crossover off. Go around to your driver side manifold, and cut out a piece of plate that is the exact shape of the manifold connector for the cross over. install the plate, Locktite the studs and the bolts on. You'll never be removing this. You pretty much just made "shorty headers" for your 3.0, but they're still cast iron... So basically from here, you go to an exhaust shop ( or do it yourself ) and install exhaust piping all the way up to both sides of your manifolds, forming a longtube header, and then bend your crossover anyway you would want it. Im pretty sure its self explainitory from here on out... but this should ( or damn close to it ) have the same "gains" and sound as a 600 dollar header would. Its definitely not smog legal, so if you have emmissions, dont even attempt this.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
Header wrap? I dont think thats gonna do any good. the Crossover is already covered by a heat absorbant canister. Sure it gets hot, but its not gonna change anything. it gets hot in that cubby where the Crossover sits, this will probably just make it hotter.

If you haven't put the motor back in yet, and are low on funds. I have an idea that you might like:

Pull that ugly crossover off. Go around to your driver side manifold, and cut out a piece of plate that is the exact shape of the manifold connector for the cross over. install the plate, Locktite the studs and the bolts on. You'll never be removing this. You pretty much just made "shorty headers" for your 3.0, but they're still cast iron... So basically from here, you go to an exhaust shop ( or do it yourself ) and install exhaust piping all the way up to both sides of your manifolds, forming a longtube header, and then bend your crossover anyway you would want it. Im pretty sure its self explainitory from here on out... but this should ( or damn close to it ) have the same "gains" and sound as a 600 dollar header would. Its definitely not smog legal, so if you have emmissions, dont even attempt this.
Another good post, Mak,....I'm bookmarking this for the "IN CASE I pick up something with one of these on a good deal" section.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:19 PM
RBX

Mak's right, that header wrap is going to make the inside of the exhaust hotter, and accelerating the #6 issue. If you didn't have the crossover issue with number 6 the wrap would be a good idea.
I've seen a crossover mod that will follow the same route as you currently have, but then make your own collector just below the driver side down pipe. I think DOA does it on their 3.4s. Use a block off plate like Mak said, and it should remain smog compliant.

edit....Like this
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...r-pipe-138902/

Last edited by RBX; 03-24-2011 at 02:30 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-24-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by RBX
Mak's right, that header wrap is going to make the inside of the exhaust hotter, and accelerating the #6 issue. If you didn't have the crossover issue with number 6 the wrap would be a good idea.
I've seen a crossover mod that will follow the same route as you currently have, but then make your own collector just below the driver side down pipe. I think DOA does it on their 3.4s. Use a block off plate like Mak said, and it should remain smog compliant.
It still wont be smog legal here in Cali. I had a really clean ISR set up, and the referee gave me crap about it because it wasnt a stamped name brand aftermarket. He basically gave me the "no custom home made ghetto booty fab" allowed on California vehicles. It sucks, but whatever.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:42 PM

Mak92, Yes I do think the heatwrap will work, atleast more than no heat wrap. Ive never had any issues with the #6 cylinder, so Im not really too worried about it, it was more of a "while it was out thing." Its more to deal with the HG poping, rather than for the valve. Besides, I just adjusted my valves, #6 is dead on in the center of the spec.

I considered making my own headers, but shop time is hard enough to come by anyway, so I went with what was easy. K.I.S.S.

Last edited by rattlewagon; 03-24-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had no problem with the 3.0 3vze v6. Sure it may not go past 90 mph and it may take a bit to get there but try and get that damn truck stuck lol. Gas mileage isn't terrible and you can easily get to 300k miles if you take care of it.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nix4x4
The 3.0 is the worst engine ever made. All they do is blow headgaskets.
They claim 150hp but its more like 115hp tops. They're complete junk
and no one should ever own one. If you just ought one, you screwed up.
Chances are, it'll take a crap on you within a years time unless you change
oil every 1200 miles, and even then its iffy. Sorry about your luck.

There have been half a dozen threads asking this same question this week.
Search.......

PS the answer is "Not a whole lot you can do."
the reason people blow the head gaskets on 3vze's is due to the fact that most people dont allow for proper engine warm up, thus putting extra stress on the HG. this extra stress causes them to fail. a head gasket recall from toyota with proper warm ups, and this should never be an issue again.

the 150hp claim is from factory ~20(+/-) years ago, you cant expect an engine to retain full hp over that many years.

changing your oil every 1200 miles is a bit ridiculous unless you have the cash, and isnt necessary as the oil made these days is commonly rated for 5k miles

anyway, if your looking for more reliability and possible hp gain(depending on engine condition), look into the HG recall from toyota (had mine done in auburn CA, they did an excellent job) general maintenance tasks are also likely to net you small hp gains here and there, depending on when they were last done
Old 03-24-2011, 03:38 PM

If that header wrap doesn't get wet, I think it should work out ok. But IMO, I do not like header wrap as it accelerates corrosion. ON a street car that never sees wet roads it's fine, but in an offroad rig where your going though mud holes, water crossings etc, it's a bad idea.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:23 PM
RBX

^^^ or its a stainless steel exhaust.
The purpose of the wrap is to keep heat in (inside the pipe), if you never had issues with number six before, why mess with the formula?...just sayin'.

Mak, i didn't realize the refs were that bad out there, that's really ridiculous...if it runs clean...
Old 03-24-2011, 04:31 PM

RBX confused a little, are you saying it's good or bad on SS header to use header wrap?
Old 03-24-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by RBX
if you never had issues with number six before, why mess with the formula?...just sayin'.
Sounded like a good idea. And if it getting wet does ruin it, ill just cut it off. And if the HG goes again, Ill just swap it out....again. Im getting pretty good at it at this point. haha.

Last edited by rattlewagon; 03-24-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by RBX
^^^ or its a stainless steel exhaust.
The purpose of the wrap is to keep heat in (inside the pipe), if you never had issues with number six before, why mess with the formula?...just sayin'.

Mak, i didn't realize the refs were that bad out there, that's really ridiculous...if it runs clean...
Smog tests here are based on 2 components. I believe they test both at 15 and 30 mph? but if you're high on either one of those, you fail. doesnt really matter how bad/good your truck runs.

Quick Reply: 3VZE horsepower advice