Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

35 Inch Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Discombobulated
I don't understand what world you guys are living in!!!!!!!!! I put 31's on my truck with 410's and it was a frickin slug!!!!! Sure it will work but bearable? I highly doubt it.

This thread was a facepalm from the very first post and I'm in agreement with snobdds,

SEARCH!!! Plenty of threads of plenty of people that put 35's on and hate it and regeared.

I think just because its in the newbie tech section hand fed info is ok, but on this subject I'm thinking its just the same as any other thread....... Lack of searching!!

K I feel better now.
Agreed on the 31's. My 4runner can hardly get out of it's own way.

People that say it runs just fine with 33s or 35's are full of bovine scat.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

Also regearing shouldn't be that expensive, especially if you remove the diffs and bring them to the shop.

It would probably be cheaper than the cost of the tires you are planning to get.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:25 AM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by bob200587
Also regearing shouldn't be that expensive, especially if you remove the diffs and bring them to the shop.

It would probably be cheaper than the cost of the tires you are planning to get.
And a lot cheaper than doing a V8 swap
Old 07-03-2013, 10:16 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
geez, seems like all these recent gearing question people are getting their panties in a twist because they want to be spoon fed and don't like the answers they get when someone links another thread that god forbid they might have to read and do research on their own. there's nothing really wrong with your original questions as they are legit things to ask, but the regular YT users are kinda tired of seeing this exact question get asked 3x a week, every week, because nobody likes to spend 5 seconds and do some homework on their own.

definitely regear if going up like 4 tire sizes from stock. if you want to know what it's like - try starting in 2nd gear all the time and never let the engine get above 2000-2500rpms before you shift...it's kinda like that...but worse because you have no choice. sure your engine will still be able to move the truck, and some claim they are "fine" - but clutch won't be very happy for long and it's inevitably going to stress that little 90hp 22re....then something people definitely don't think about when jumping to significantly larger tires on a streeted/DD rig is how are you going to stop that big rubber with those tiny little brakes???

as for your question regarding pricing for regearing diffs - technically you should pair 35s with 5.29 gears. Figure a ring and pinion is going to cost roughly $150-200 or more depending on brand/quality, then you will need a gearing install kit which runs around $100-250 depending on brand. If you can't set them up yourself (which most average DIY people wouldn't be able to do successfully without putting a lot of time into) then you're going to pay roughly $200+ for each diff to get setup -- just that right there is at least $600-800 to regear each diff x2. if you're already inside your diffs, then why would you not install a locker "while you're in there"? add another $250-1000 depending on what locker you want in each diff.

figure to regear f/r plus selectable (ARB) lockers will run you somewhere around $2200...unless you already have a v8 ready to go and do everything yourself, i doubt you will be able to swap for this price. then there's the cost of 5x 35" tires (since you'll need a full size spare)....add in at least $1500...also don't forget about new wheels since you won't be able to put 35s on stock wheels without some serious modifications...and a lift or fender/firewall cutting to clear those 35s...

someone mentioned factory 4.88s - you could do this too, which will be cheaper/easier. driving with this would feel more like 31s/4.10 gears. figure a set will run you $200-600 since they are fairly in high demand...and are used so you might want to have them inspected and adjusted before running them due to unknown driving habits of PO.

good luck!
Old 07-05-2013, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to all of you for the help and info. I appreciate it. Maybe 4 grand into the truck right now isn't the best move with a baby on the way lol. I guess I will have to save up for a few months before I regear and go to 35's. Ill probably just wait until the fall when I put the top back on. I wont be able to fit the truck in the garage anymore once I put 35's on it.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:58 PM

I had a 01 zr2 blazer with the queenest lift ever, 6 inch suspension 2 inch body 35's and it fit in my garage by about half an inch, so you might be surprised.

And as you said waiting is your best bet I had the money ready to regear after the 31's and glad I did I was completely disappointed with the truck after the tires and I hated its face

Last edited by Discombobulated; 07-05-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:56 PM

I don't understand what world you guys are living in!!!!!!!!! I put 31's on my truck with 410's and it was a frickin slug!!!!! Sure it will work but bearable? I highly doubt it.
I could smoke my dads 33s in second gear with 410s and took off in 3rd a lot (was learning to drive)...looking back that's probably why the tranny blew up when I was 16.lol good luck bama btw uga is gonna wipe the floor with yall this year
Old 07-05-2013, 08:15 PM

I have 35s on 4.88s. I get 19mpg average. It pulls just fine in all the gears. You better be on top of your suspension joints though, any play is that much worse with large tires. Just depends how well you maintain your truck. If you are neglectful, I wouldn't run 35s.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:17 PM

PS regear. Just do it, or don't go up in size. Or you will enjoy the slow lane in 3rd gear up every hill.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:28 PM

I had a 01 zr2 blazer with the queenest lift ever, 6 inch suspension 2 inch body 35's and it fit in my garage by about half an inch, so you might be surprised.

And as you said waiting is your best bet I had the money ready to regear after the 31's and glad I did I was completely disappointed with the truck after the tires and I hated its face
Yeah it would for sure but I have that light bar on there which adds a good 10 inches to the roof.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by SCToy
I have 35s on 4.88s. I get 19mpg average. It pulls just fine in all the gears. You better be on top of your suspension joints though, any play is that much worse with large tires. Just depends how well you maintain your truck. If you are neglectful, I wouldn't run 35s.
I love Santa Cruz! Yeah I was leaning towards the 4.88s. I think the 5.29 would be too aggressive since I drive it onroad alot as well. I have been working hard on it to get it right ever since I got it. I am installing new BJ's, cv's, tie rods and the pitman idler arms, new bushings in the LCA's so on and so forth. It might take me a while to get where I want to be, but I am getting there slowly but surely. Thanks for the MPG on that setup. All the data and figures online is nice, actual results from a person are better as far as I am concerned. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Stetson_md
I could smoke my dads 33s in second gear with 410s and took off in 3rd a lot (was learning to drive)...looking back that's probably why the tranny blew up when I was 16.lol good luck bama btw uga is gonna wipe the floor with yall this year
With a 22re that's amazing..............
Old 07-05-2013, 08:43 PM

I don't know which part of that is funnier? The first part is good but the second part!!!! Nah you guys are looking tough, you guys have to make it to the show first though! I am glad we dont play you in the regular season. You guys are about the only thing worth worrying about in the east. Our schedule is so easy this year, LSU and A&M might give us some trouble though. I think we have a decent shot at a 3peat I have a son being born in a month but I am not sure if that would top 3 in a row for Bama jk... not really... maybe?
Old 07-05-2013, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bama
I love Santa Cruz! Yeah I was leaning towards the 4.88s. I think the 5.29 would be too aggressive since I drive it onroad alot as well. I have been working hard on it to get it right ever since I got it. I am installing new BJ's, cv's, tie rods and the pitman idler arms, new bushings in the LCA's so on and so forth. It might take me a while to get where I want to be, but I am getting there slowly but surely. Thanks for the MPG on that setup. All the data and figures online is nice, actual results from a person are better as far as I am concerned. Thanks.
You're welcome.
Also, that's on a 22R, a well running 22RE should be able to squeeze a few more mpgs out.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:05 AM

With a 22re that's amazing..............
With a 87 22r ole blue is mean
Old 07-06-2013, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bama
I don't know which part of that is funnier? The first part is good but the second part!!!! Nah you guys are looking tough, you guys have to make it to the show first though! I am glad we dont play you in the regular season. You guys are about the only thing worth worrying about in the east. Our schedule is so easy this year, LSU and A&M might give us some trouble though. I think we have a decent shot at a 3peat I have a son being born in a month but I am not sure if that would top 3 in a row for Bama jk... not really... maybe?
If we can beat uf and socar we'll be there.both always give us problems. Yall got lucky last year, this year there will be no sliping on the 3yrd line. My dad is a bama fan a feels about the same bout a 3peat congrats on having a son
Old 07-06-2013, 08:28 AM

With a 87 22r ole blue is mean

Daaaaaaang with a 22r even!!!!! that's even amaziiiiingeeeeeerrrr...............