Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22r block 22re head, accessory help

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r block 22re head, accessory help

I got the truck without an engine in it. I was wondering if someone could post a few pictures of how the powersteering, the coolant lines, the vacuum lines (Carb set up), and just a few other general pictures of the engine bay.

also this pickup originally came with FI, but the PO converted it to carb. Should I have any problems with that? I have the EFI parts, but they are all in a box and I have no idea where the hell anything goes

this is on a 1987 pickup, 4wd, 5spd.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:47 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
one issue you might have is the efi fuel pump inside the tank if switching from efi. As well as the wiring harness. sensors, ecu etc etc.

vacuum diagrams you can get off autozone's website or the FSM. Easily found by google. "toyota FSM"

Not sure how well a carb is gonna like an efi cam either. Not that it won't just throwing that out there.

If you have all of the efi parts, your probably gonna like it better than a carb setup. (more power)

But the carb is a much more simple than the efi as a whole, but might be more complicated switching over from efi.

As far as keeping the efi parts and knowing where they go, toyotapartszone.com you can use for parts reference as far as diagrams go.

There is also several rebuild threads on here that you can search for which will help immensely.

Iamsuperbleeder and 92 Toy are members tat have really good rebuild threads. Since "92 Toy" thread is more of a headgasket thread, it might be a little more relative than the full rebuild thread of iamsuperbleeder.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
one issue you might have is the efi fuel pump inside the tank if switching from efi. As well as the wiring harness. sensors, ecu etc etc.

vacuum diagrams you can get off autozone's website or the FSM. Easily found by google. "toyota FSM"

Not sure how well a carb is gonna like an efi cam either. Not that it won't just throwing that out there.

If you have all of the efi parts, your probably gonna like it better than a carb setup. (more power)

But the carb is a much more simple than the efi as a whole, but might be more complicated switching over from efi.

As far as keeping the efi parts and knowing where they go, toyotapartszone.com you can use for parts reference as far as diagrams go.

There is also several rebuild threads on here that you can search for which will help immensely.

Iamsuperbleeder and 92 Toy are members tat have really good rebuild threads. Since "92 Toy" thread is more of a headgasket thread, it might be a little more relative than the full rebuild thread of iamsuperbleeder.
Thanks for your help. The guy before me turned it over from EFI to carburetor. I've rebuilt the motor, along with a different cam, which is a carb cam.

I would prefer EFI but the carb route was a better choice because I knew that I had all the parts.

Thanks for the links and search tips, I'll definitely take a look at them.

The reason I'm asking for pix is I got the truck Cheap and all the parts where sitting in a box with a bare engine in the engine bay, pulled it out and just finished rebuilding it. Now I'm looking to drop in and get this beast rolling

Last edited by benelli; 01-15-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:15 PM

Is it possible to have a carb 22RE? Bought pickup off a guy that claimed it was rebuilt and had to replace front main seal and pulled the threads out of timing cover when I was bolting the water pump back on, bought new head for 87 22RE and it was too short...any ideas?
Old 09-06-2011, 05:55 AM

what do you mean too short? No such thing as a carb 22re. It's either a 22r (carb) or 22re (efi) What year is your truck?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:48 AM

I bought what I was told is an '87, by to short I mean when I put the new timing cover on (if I said head, I meant new timing cover) with it flush against the oil pan, I was approx. 1/8-1/4 inch short of butting up on to the head...went back to the parts store and looked up part numbers for replacement timing covers from 85-89 and all the covers had the same part number which meant they will all be the exact same(to "short"). Also the old water pump was too big for the new timing cover, meaning the impellers on the old pump were much to large for the new cover I so had to get a new pump, then I tried to bolt up and found the cover wasn't right size.

So being this is supposedly an 87 and the valve cover says RE and I do have a carb......I don't know wt* to do, called the guy who I bought it off of and he said the motor came out of a diff pickup but doesn't know what year...could the valve cover off and RE fit an R head? Maybe it is just the wrong cover? Keep in mind at the auto parts store we looked up all years 85-89 22R RE and all had the same part number. Is there anyway to figure out what year the engine is? Thanks for any help!!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:54 AM

this is a classic year range problem. 85-95 22r's and 22res were exactly the same. Then you have 81-82, 83-84. 85 is an odd year to deal with. I have seen many auto parts stores do this leading to application issues. One place uses build date dates the other model year dates. 85 model years had both styles of engine in them. Another issue being 96 (really 95.5) pickup verus 96 tacoma.

Being that the valve cover says 22re most likely it's a 85-95 engine. However, I do believe it's possible to stick the wrong valve cover on. Also there was 85 and earlier 22re's but were pretty much only put into celicas/supras etc. Not saying they also didn't come in trucks too but......

With all that being said I really think you have the wrong valve cover on there and this is an 83-84 engine. Possibly an 81-82 if the timing chain has two rows not just one. By the sounds of it it's a Frankenstein engine where the jackwagons who put it together didn't know what they were doing.

Take a look at this page: http://www.lcengineering.com/TechNotes/?techid=49.

You will see where the deck heights are listed. Notice the 81-84 engines have a taller deck height thus taller timing cover.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 09-06-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:18 PM

Thanks, is there a specific place to look for stamped numbers to tell me when the motor was made?
Old 09-06-2011, 03:34 PM

read the above link I gave you, it tells you how to identify each one.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:03 PM

Thank you, that does help clear things up...would you like for me post some pics of the motor/carb? the carb is in pretty bad shape but when everything is together it runs...decent..lol. At speed it is just fine but at idle its a little rough. But maybe with some pics you might be able to better help me figure out what exactly I have going on here.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:16 PM

Just found the engine numbers, stamped 0587920 22R, Looks as though the valve cover is wrong, hopefully not a frankenstein lol. And it only has one row for timing chain so like you said probably 83-84