Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

20r HeadGasket Replace, Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 20r HeadGasket Replace, Help

So i overheated my 1980 toyota 20r headed on a wheeling trip. I lost the top radiator hose and cooked it. I havent had a chance to take it apart, and i'm fairly new to this. I've done a timing chain replacement but not a headgasket.
What steps do i do this in?
Should i and how do i run a compression test and a leak down test?
Should i just scrap the motor if i cracked the block and put in a 22r?
Opinions and help needed.
Is this a walk thru in the forums on this?
i've looked for hours.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:50 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you take it to a machine shop, they'll check the deck for warpage and cracks and you can have them replace the valve guides and seals...

it depends on what you want them to do for what $$$ they'll charge.

I used to get mine done for $100.

I wouldn't do anything with a overheated head until it was checked out at a shop.

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 09-30-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
If you take it to a machine shop, they'll check the deck for warpage and cracks and you can have them replace the valve guides and seals...

it depends on what you want them to do for what $$$ they'll charge.

I used to get mine done for $100.

I wouldn't do anything with a overheated head until it was checked out at a shop.
Thanks it's taken out, i can tell where someone tried to put some stop leak because the watergates were clogged up on the gasket. So i took it down to the machine shop to get the head resurfaced for 25 dollars. Cant beat it.

Might go with a felpro headgasket kit?
Or should i go original?
Old 10-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
you can find the step by step by downloading the FSM with the link in my signature.
it is for an '85 but the 20r and 22R head teardown is gonna be pretty much the same...
Old 05-28-2018, 09:31 AM

Update

Sorry for the delay on the update I only wanted to use the oem toyota headgasket and I bought 3 offline and everyone was bent in the mail so that delayed my project but to answer the last question I got my header and rocker arm shims from lce I bought a complete cylinder head from partsology its a DNJ it had the camshaft and valves already assembled I also bought new rocket arms and the rocket arm shafts from partsology and there also DNJ I re used my rocker arm towers when I assembled my new rocker arm assembly I noticed all of my rocker arms wernt aligning with my valves so I ordered rocker
arm shims from lce which delayed my build further and when they arrived they helped a lot but i had to grind them down to make them line up perfectly but I'm glad I took the time to grind them down to the correct thickness and make everything line up correctly it was a pain in the ass but it runs great I was worried about buying a aftermarket cylinder head for so cheap but it seems well made and since everything is in alignment I dont think I'll have a problem but thank you guys for all your help