Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

2005 Land Cruiser- buy or no-buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Land Cruiser- buy or no-buy?

Hi Guys- long time 4 runner owner here considering Land Cruiser.

I currently drive a 1998 4 runner and it's been great, but a lot of little things are starting to pile up and my girlfriend is also pressuring me to get something more presentable.

So- I've been looking at Land Cruisers passively and now I'm getting serious. ALways wanted one, but recently started doing well enough to get one.
I'd like to spend 5-10k.

I'm in NJ and I've looked at maybe 10- all good running but most are rusty as could be- rusted trans and break lines- bad stuff, my 4 runner has a small hole in the frame so this is a major concern for me if I invest in a tlc.

I looked at a 2005 yesterday- 224k (more than I'd like) but perfectly clean rust wise- for 8k.
Its at a used car dealer and my preference is usually from a private seller.

One accident- side swipe- repaired well, but airbags deployed.
Maintenance is solid but not perfect- timing belt changed twice most recently at 200k.

Curious what u guys think? Should I forego my concern on the miles in exchange for the perfect under body?

Nothing I could find really wrong with it other than low coolant in the reservoir (radiator full from cap)and took a few backwards turns to get the center diff lock to disengage (likely not used a lot?)
Not smoking or leaking from what I could see- runs very smooth
Old 11-19-2018, 04:00 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Hmmmm

224k mi and too-good-to-be-true undercarriage? Hard to believe. Must be rustproofed like no other or only summer driven.

No more side airbags? Or front? Kinda need those for the unexpected. [Edit: no guarantees on the repairs]

Nothing sketchy with timing belt service history, with that mileage.

I bought my 4runner used from an independent dealer and though the test drive went well, it had no spare tire, a defective trailer wiring box, and one cylinder with messed up plug threads. Wish I knew those problems while at the lot but how could anyone.

Looked at 10 and this one stood out huh? See if you can bargain down 3-5k.

Hmmmm. Have fun or renegotiate with the GF on how presentable the 4runner can still be. 8k can go towards future gifts...

Last edited by 75w90mantraN; 11-21-2018 at 08:21 AM.