Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

1994 Pickup Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 Pickup Problems

I recently bought a 1994 Regular Cab Pickup, 22RE, 5 Speed. It has sat outside for the past 18 months and the last time it was running was October. I left the battery on jumper cables for 20 minutes and there isn't a sound when you turn the key and try to start it. I was wondering what to look for? Check the fuses or power connections? Maybe a new starter? I am very comfortable working on cars though I have never worked on one that has sat for so long and is a no start. Yes I have used the search bar before posting this, nothing seemed to answer my question.

Any other advice on getting this truck running without throwing parts at it would be appreciated. I plan on doing a full tuneup once it will run.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:14 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Test your battery first, make sure your jumper cables are good. put a volt meter across your battery and see what you have for voltage before, during and after charging.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:23 PM

Okay, I will throw it on a charger and see what the voltage looks like after charging.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:05 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Look at your clutch safety switch

it might not be adjusted correct or might have failed

Time to break out the Meter

Good chance if the battery was outside in the truck it froze over the winter.

I am quite good for doing this myself
Old 06-09-2017, 09:39 AM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
does anything come on when you turn the key? do the headlights work? throw us a bone here!
Old 06-09-2017, 02:12 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by akwheeler
does anything come on when you turn the key? do the headlights work? throw us a bone here!
Yes, O.P., a problem well-stated is a problem almost solved. We may be thousands of miles away. Pls help us see, hear, smell what you have in front of you.

It has sat outside for the past 18 months and the last time it was running was October
That's long enough to discharge the battery so I would bet it is discharged battery. HOWEVER, I would verify EVEN MY OWN GUESS.

Originally Posted by ColoradoPickup
Okay, I will throw it on a charger and see what the voltage looks like after charging.
Do you even know the voltage before charging?

Originally Posted by wyoming9
...Time to break out the Meter
Yes. Next only to our senses, the multi-meter is the most important electrical diagnostic tools.

Please keep us posted.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 06-09-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:33 PM

1994 Pickup value

i really hope this gets me somewhere so i don't feel like i wasted my time writing this. basically i have a 1994 extended cab toyota pickup. it has a 3.0L V6. i have owned the truck for a long time. it has been my baby for my adult life, 18 years total. i believe it has almost 197k miles. but recently i've had to start making a very tough decision. poor thing has a bent rod in the engine and needs to be rebuilt. the problem is that i can't afford such a repair right now. and the last thing i want to do is to see her go. i may have to though. so in this process i want to try and do it right. i want a good home for this beautiful truck. someone who will take care of her for years to come. and i don't want to get ripped off. but i don't know much about resale value etc. so i figured this may be a good place to start. i encourage feedback please. anything helps at this point. appreciate you reading and possibly helping me out a little.

thank you and keep on truckin
Old 06-10-2017, 01:07 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You really should have started your own thread .

Unless this truck is in super good shape outside of the blown engine .

Having very new tires and wheels !!

It is only worth a little more then scrap price
Old 06-10-2017, 11:34 AM

good luck
Old 06-10-2017, 04:26 PM

Well the old battery read 4.4v so it was pretty shot haha. I put a new battery in and it started right up. Though it has a very loud knock. Sounds like rod knock to me. I drained the oil and it was sparkly at the bottom of the pan. The engine is probably done for. Any suggestions? Thinking of just selling it or parting it out at this point. Maybe look into a junkyard 22RE.