Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

1985 4x4 straight axle steering?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 4x4 straight axle steering?

Thinking of buying a 85 4x4 with the straight axle that has manual steering.Is the steering on this alot more difficult on paved city/highway roads than the other axle?..thanks,Dave.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
it is called push pull if it is stock unless it has been converted to High steer which used an IFS (86-95.5) steering box. in stock form it is not great, especially with worn components
Old 04-21-2010, 06:22 PM

Thanks,but what do you mean by push/pull?
Old 04-25-2010, 07:09 AM

i have an 83 with out power stering its not bad on road but off it sucks so i found one in the wreckers and took the brackets and all it bolted up easy took 30 mins and i had to buy a new belt
Old 04-25-2010, 08:48 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Manual steering is great once you're moving ... blows big time at low speed/stopped though.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mldave
Thinking of buying a 85 4x4 with the straight axle that has manual steering.Is the steering on this alot more difficult on paved city/highway roads than the other axle?..thanks,Dave.
I ran my '85 Pickup for 5 years without power steering (the truck was 19yrs old when I bought it). It still wouldn't have it, except I upgraded from the stock "Push/Pull" steering to High Crossover steering.

Originally Posted by mldave
Thanks,but what do you mean by push/pull?
If you look at the pitman arm on the steering box, it "Swings" forward and backward (parallel to the frame) on the stock solid front axle application. Versus and "crossover" steering of an IFS truck that the pitman arm on the steering box sits below the frame rail and "Swings" left and right as it moves the wheels left and right. The crossover type steering is much stronger than the factory "Push/Pull" setup.

To answer your other question of is it harder to turn. Yes, it takes just a little more effort, but with stock tires or 31's, it isn't bad. These trucks are light enough that power steering isn't necessary. But if you start upgrading to larger tires, it is definitely nice to have power steering.
I ran my truck with 31x10.50's for a few years, then upgraded 33x12.50's and still ran the stock steering. But I did break my "Push/Pull" steering on the trail. Fortunately my buddy had the foresight to throw a spare setup in for me!

So no, the difference it minimal in stock form. And if you're not doing any hardcore wheeling, the stock setup should be just fine!

BTW I specifically looked for an 85, for the solid axle, when I bought my truck!
Old 04-25-2010, 11:16 AM

Thanks fellows,I'll be running the stock tires and only very light off roading once in awhile.This just happenned to be an 85 straight axle with a decent body(lousy paint) that my friend came across for me.Perhaps to many on the forum it's a waste in not modifying it,but I don't do that kind of stuff.Just be using it to get to some hard rock gold mining areas and an occasional trip over the mountains to Nevada.Only add on's for now will be A/C.....and perhaps EFI if the stock carb dosen't work out.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:04 PM

There's nothing wrong with keeping a rig stock! I like both modded and unmodded rigs! I'm modifying mine to go where I want to be able to go. For many, there is no reason.

Congrats on the truck! You know what they say, Paint doesn't effect a vehicles driveablity.

And Welcome to Yotatech!!! I didn't realize this is your 1st thread and 1st postings!

I don't know if you've owned 4x4s before or not, but I think you'll be very happy with the capabilties of your truck! I was very pleased with mine when I 1st bought it, but knew i wanted to go harder and farther. lol

Have you taken possession of your new toy yet? How's the steering? is it any where near as bad as you were afraid it might be?
Old 04-25-2010, 05:08 PM

Grant526,probably will be another 4-5 weeks before i get the truck.Correcto,never have had a 4WD before.Current rig is a 1987 Mitsu mighty max with 149,000 plus miles,2.0.no A/C or power steering and 2WD.Has been a great truck and put on 107,000 miles in 9 years of ownership.I'm just done highway 49 from you Grant in Calaveras County.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:26 AM

I saw that. I was going to mention I love Angels Camp!! I've spent a fair amount of time there in the past. One of these years I'll make it back to New Melones for some waterski'n and such. lol

Honestly, you're mighty max with manual steering is probably Very Comparable to what the yota will be. And if you're going to doing a little off roading, I would suggest upgrading to 31x10's for the tires. But that's just me. They'll put you about 10% over stock gearing and run just fine down the road, though they might be a little slow for you in the hills and mountains. With stock 4.10 gears that is.

You mentioned mining, Where are you going for that? Around you? Jackson/Sutter? Sonora? When I was a Little Kid, during the big drought, my parents friend had a 16ft dredge on the inlet of New Melones, Now that spot is under 200ft of water, most of the time. lol
Old 04-26-2010, 02:25 PM

Grant,what I mean by off-roading is way different than you fellows.Just dirt/gravel roads that get a little mushy in the wet sierra winters..LOL.Most of my mining is/was in Calaveras county.My body is too broke down now to do any of that stuff.Once in awhile I clean up quartz vein gold samples for people and pan them out,then give an evaluation.If i had an easy to get to spot without lot's of walking/hill climbing I'd be on it...By the way..what kind of mileage can I expect from this carbed rig with standard tires in 2WD?It should have a full tune up and new head when I get It.