Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

01 2.4L tacoma frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 2.4L tacoma frustrated

there seems to be limited resources to find information on parts. I am having problems with my truck! My idle speed is high and have no check engine light! I have replaced the Idle Air Control valve(IAC). Did not buy California emissions I.A.C valve I was told it didn't really matter. Old IAC was filled with carbon build up! If I want to go to get my truck diagnosed by a dealer the cost is $60 dollars starting can go up to 250 from there. Then would come the Cost of parts and labor to install parts. So brings me to my frustration!
Injectors - I cannot find which brand is used for my vehicle. I think it is insane to pay 100 to 177 to replace injectors. I have found some sites that list injectors from 30 to 50 dollars.
Timing chain - I can get one for 100 dollars but even that price to me is insane. other timing chains are as low as 30 dollars!
Sensors - Ohhhhh my biggest problem ranging from 55 to 400! By the way I have to get CA emissions apparently. (no if ands or buts). I would like to buy new sensors but am told too use only Toyota products. Ok well I am not rich! I tried to find manufactures that Toyota buys from or has make parts for them and I cannot seem to find this info. Heck I had to buy an o-ring for my fuel pressure regulator and it cost 3.50 at dealership. If only they could put o-ring size specs!!!!
Then I have issues with the oil! Synthetic to be exact! I have done a lot of reading and synthetic seems to be the best all around for engine! I can get a good deal for mobile 1 5w 30 for 29 dollars! I have had it with buying oil filters and am seriously considering buying a lifetime oil filter made buy K&P engineering. regardless of the fact that I can't seem to find reviews on the product! High price granted but never have to buy a filter again! I should have bought it 7 years ago when it was only 100 dollars! it would have more than paid for itself by now!
I now have brake issues and want quality brakes not high performance racing brakes just good quality rotors and drums.
I can find all the ratings I want on cell phones, laptops, TV's, apps, ovens, refrigerators ect....
where are the ratings, where are the tests for auto parts? I wonder how many people know there is an engine oil available that is guaranteed for 15k miles!
I have spent about an hour talking to Toyota service manager trying to find out what is wrong with my truck. why it is getting such poor fuel mileage! nothing from him! He tried to tell me that my truck has a 3rz engine which is only for the 2.7 liters and I have a 2.4 which according to my vin # it is a 2rz.

So finally I ask! Who can provide some information that may help?
Old 08-27-2015, 09:58 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
2RZ = 2WD
3RZ= 4WD

old trucks are gonna need some $$$ thrown at them periodically to keep them alive, no getting around it
Old 08-28-2015, 01:19 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Mechanical things need maintenance !!

Get a copy of the Factory Service Manual for your truck start reading .

After a certain point owning a older truck is more expensive then a payment on a new truck if your paying for all the service work.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
2RZ = 2WD
3RZ= 4WD

old trucks are gonna need some $$$ thrown at them periodically to keep them alive, no getting around it

Thanks [dropzone] for clarifying the 2RZ and 3RZ that makes sense!

I understand putting in money is going to happen. I just don't like the parts lock up. It is like the diamond industry more than enough diamonds to bring cost of a diamond to 50 dollars a carat but because the ownership diamonds can be marked at a higher price! If I had the money I could get my engine rebuilt for 2k with a lifetime warranty. Wheel bearings fare price! why? Like I said an O-ring is 3.50 if specs of O-ring was provided I could get the O-ring for .80 cents. I can get a TPS sensor for 55 dollars if I new the maker or specs to the part I could repair sensor myself. I enjoy wrenching. Its fun or can be! the place I live at won't allow vehicles to be worked on at property! So luckily I can go to O'reillys or Autozone and repair things there. Which helps a great deal! Monday I will be doing a compression check on cylinders to see if valves are bad. I am getting a lot of through back and pcv valve is getting abnormal amounts of oil. They have sealed up my charcoal canister. The older Toyota Tacoma's had replaceable charcoal filters. No not this particular year that I have. It is sealed and if there is anything wrong with the filters I have to replace the whole box. Unless anybody knows how to repair this? My Toyota has treated me well an I have tried to do the same for her. Toyota maker is fighting me!
Old 08-28-2015, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Mechanical things need maintenance !!

Get a copy of the Factory Service Manual for your truck start reading .

After a certain point owning a older truck is more expensive then a payment on a new truck if your paying for all the service work.
Yes I have been trying to find a copy! under 50 dollars! tried to find a free pdf file! Nope if a service manual is what I want $200. Yes it would be money well spent. If I had the money!

All Toyota controlled parts are overly priced. Brakes, bearings, shocks and other such parts have a fare price. I was just hoping there would be some knowledge at this site on getting good deals for quality parts.

I don't know if that is true about older trucks. It costs about 23k for a newer truck. 2k for a rebuilt engine with guarantee, 1k for a new tranny or rebuilt one is cheaper! I have an auto tranny. I don't know how to rebuild those. Drive line and other parts for about another 3k. Give me another 20 years for my truck. I would not have to pay the higher insurance for new vehicle and registration would not raise. I don't have to smog in my current state of Utah. Some counties do but not where I live.

I know there is a gas mileage saving gadget or modification patent in existence!

would like to know how to make white gas!
Old 08-28-2015, 01:32 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I pretty much just call my Toyota Dealer for the parts I need

I don`t even ask the price Very seldom even look at the invoice just pay the bill when it comes.

You want cheap parts that is what you end up with.

I still buy a few things at Napa but to compete with the Box store auto parts even their quality has dropped

Want a vehicle with cheap and easy parts to find get a Chevy

Check out Rock Auto but watch the shipping
Old 08-28-2015, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I pretty much just call my Toyota Dealer for the parts I need

I don`t even ask the price Very seldom even look at the invoice just pay the bill when it comes.

You want cheap parts that is what you end up with.

I still buy a few things at Napa but to compete with the Box store auto parts even their quality has dropped

Want a vehicle with cheap and easy parts to find get a Chevy

Check out Rock Auto but watch the shipping

No not looking for cheap parts with poor quality! I just don't want to have to pay for the name Toyota. 30-40% increase in price is not worth it! If I can get a fuel injector from exact manufacture for half the price why not go that route? If I had the name of all specialty part manufactures such as Nippon Denso for injectors the problem would be solved! I am just not the kind of person that will pay for a 40 dollar shirt when I can find the exact same shirt for 10. Thanks for the Rock hound auto I will check it out.

Last edited by digdug40; 08-28-2015 at 02:25 PM.