03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

VSC Trac VSC Off lights on all the time HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSC Trac VSC Off lights on all the time HELP!!

I own a 03 4runner sr5 V6 i had the check engine light + the vsc trac and vsc off lights on all the time, i scanned it with a obd2 scanner ang got a code p2241 for a bad 02 sensor, i changed it today, started the truck no more lights, i re-scanend the truck no more codes, mad eshure to erase all codes. I went out to work later and bang the vsc trac and vsc off lights are still on all the time and the truck is showing no codes? does anyone know what this is all about?? as anyone experienced the same problem? thanks for any help!
Old 02-07-2009, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by mikethewoodfreak
I own a 03 4runner sr5 V6 i had the check engine light + the vsc trac and vsc off lights on all the time, i scanned it with a obd2 scanner ang got a code p2241 for a bad 02 sensor, i changed it today, started the truck no more lights, i re-scanend the truck no more codes, mad eshure to erase all codes. I went out to work later and bang the vsc trac and vsc off lights are still on all the time and the truck is showing no codes? does anyone know what this is all about?? as anyone experienced the same problem? thanks for any help!
If you have an early '03, I believe there is a possible problem with using some OBD II scanners on the system. Also, if the outside air temp was 0 f or below, there was a problem with the stability control ECU and the pitch and yaw sensor. There is a TSB on this issue, BR005-03, which might be able to help. If the problem was caused by the OBD II scanner, there is a procedure to re-set the zero point calibration for the pitch and yaw sensor, which can be erased by the scanner accidently. If it is the cold weather causing it, like just happened to mine, you may have to have the stability control ECU replaced, if your vin falls in the right range. I had to have mine replaced, but fortunately I had the extended warranty, and it only cost me a $50.00 deductible (the full cost was over $1600.00) In my case, if the cold weather caused the VCStrac VCS off indicators to come on, I would wait until the cabin temp warmed up, and shut of the vehicle and restarted it again, and the indicators would clear for the rest of the day.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:12 PM

Any word Mike? I was driving home and the same thing happened to me this afternoon! I figure I'll check the fuses tomorrow at work to start. Don't think it was the weather on my side as it was about 50f out today.

Mike

2001 4runner SR5 V6
Old 02-11-2009, 03:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mikekow80
Any word Mike? I was driving home and the same thing happened to me this afternoon! I figure I'll check the fuses tomorrow at work to start. Don't think it was the weather on my side as it was about 50f out today.

Mike

2001 4runner SR5 V6
Start by getting the codes read. Otherwise, you're just guessing at the problem.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:31 AM

i've been researching this same problem, and several people are experiencing the nsame thing. to my knowledge it could be one of four o2 sensors or even a bad catylitic convertor.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jessetb2
i've been researching this same problem, and several people are experiencing the nsame thing. to my knowledge it could be one of four o2 sensors or even a bad catylitic convertor.
Many problems will bring up the check engine light as well as the VSC and TRAC lights... that's why you need to get the code read.

Which Toyota are you driving that has 4 O2 sensors?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:46 PM

2002 Camry XLS, TRAC and Autozone scanner

Beware - I had the CEL light on and went to AutoZone for a free reading. The minute they finished reading the codes and disconnected the OBD reader, I drove away and the TRAC OFF and VSC lights went on. Everytime I started the car, these lights were off, but then came on when I started to drive the car. I believe the type of OBD scanner at Autozone caused the problem. I went to AAMCO and Irwin reset the zero for the VSC system and the lights went off and stayed off. Be careful if you bring a Toyota to Autozone for CEL reading.

Originally Posted by mikethewoodfreak
Old 03-01-2010, 12:39 PM

I had a similar issue on my wife's 4R over the winter. After not getting any codes with the reader, but seeing the VSC and TRAC lights off and on, I figured it out. Actually, I was stuck. The OEM battery had finally failed after six years (the one in my Infiniti is going on ten years). I dropped in a replacement and the lights have stayed off for good. It's worth checking on...
Old 03-09-2010, 12:02 PM

The VSC TRAC OFF and ABS OFF lights are on. Codes are C1210, C1223, and C1246. What do these mean? How can i fix them?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:07 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by UVBlood
Beware - I had the CEL light on and went to AutoZone for a free reading. The minute they finished reading the codes and disconnected the OBD reader, I drove away and the TRAC OFF and VSC lights went on. Everytime I started the car, these lights were off, but then came on when I started to drive the car. I believe the type of OBD scanner at Autozone caused the problem. I went to AAMCO and Irwin reset the zero for the VSC system and the lights went off and stayed off. Be careful if you bring a Toyota to Autozone for CEL reading.
Virtually the same problem with my '03 4Runner Limited V8, although it was my AutoEnginuity OBDII that caused the VSC TRAC and VSC OFF lights to remain lit in this case, not AutoZone. In my case there were no codes thrown - just those two lights.

First noticed the lights come on the second I connected the OBDII. The lights remain lit upon disconnect, but go off after cycling the key. But they come right back on the second the wheels move - forward or reverse.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:22 PM

After seeing several references to the yaw-rate calibration problem, I used my AutoEnginuity OBDII (which I believe caused the problem in the first place) to recalibrate. It had a built in function to do the recalibration. I had not seen any codes before this, but this time it did show a code that the software said was related to the yaw rate calibration data having been cleared. So that confirmed that I needed to reset the calibration.

I connected (it auto-detected CAN), went to the ABS/TCS system, OnBoard Tests, and chose the yaw rate calibration.

Made sure steering wheel was straight ahead and I was in my garage, which is as level as I can hope to find.

Turned engine off based on instructions in ScanTool (AutoEnginuity's OBD2 sofftware) and ran the calibration. The only message was that the test was not supported, but it must have done something because the VSC TRAC and ABS lights started blinking rapidly.

Restarted the engine and the lights were off. I drove around a bit to make sure they stayed off - they did.

Disconnected my OBD2 and then reconfirmed that the lights stayed off even while driving.

I think my OBD2 caused this accidentally. I saw another reference to OBDs causing this problem in another thread.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:41 PM

Vcs Trac, Trac Off lights can't be turned off 03 4Runner 2wd SR5, V6

Vsc Trac, Trac Off lights can't be turned off on 03 4Runner 2wd SR5, V6.

This happened a year ago when it was 10 degrees out and messing with the gas cap solved it. Now it's back and a new gas cap makes no difference: start it, lights are off, in gear and rolling, they're back on and the traction control is indeed disabled, ABS works.

Innova 3120b CanOBD 2 & 1 brings up no DTC's, I can't do any recalibrations with it.

I've checked all hoses in the engine compartment, they're all tight.

I've disconnected the neg battery terminal for a minute - no changes.

Suggestions?

Last edited by gerritg; 04-10-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:46 PM

I am running across the same issue with the lights but I haven't gotten rid of my CEL. I know what is wrong but I cant fix it yet due to money. I removed all 4 catalytic converters and the system didn't respond to the addition of the sparkplug non-foulers I had sitting around. I know there is a company that makes a bypass that works by changing the voltage of a working O2 sensor. Anyone have idea's of how to make one themselves? resistors and such. lol

I will check with my scanner to see if I can calibrate my pitch a yaw. its always cold up here lol... jk it goes from -30c to +45c every year.