03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Rear brakes not bleeding..

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear brakes not bleeding..

Yesterday i saw my dad helping his neighbor change out all pads on his 03 4runner. They disconnected the front left caliper line and it was dripping for about 40 mins or more until they returned. I basically finished up the job for them but i advised them id need to bleed all four brakes now.

Problem is, i went to the RR tire and nothing. Not an ounce of fluid came out. Went to LR nothing, same thing. The front two bled normal as they should but upon test driving the car the pedal felt extremely firm and the brakes did not brake unless you like literally push down hard on it. I assumed the rear two flexible lines were plugged but i disconnected the lines above that and still nothing comes out. The pedal doesnt feel like it drops when someone opens the bleeder screw at the rear. (not plugged bleeders). This leads me to believe there is something that needs to be actuated in order for fluid to pass through to the rear brakes. Upon reading im told that i need to bleed the brakes with ign ON to actuate the electric booster/pump?

Ive tried bleeding with ignition ON, running, and with ignition OFF. All produce the same results. When researching "rear brakes wont bleed 4runner" the only thing that comes up is the mention of a LSPV. But thats for previous gen 4runners. I do not see one on mine or cant find anything about a LSPV on this 4th gen.

The reason they changed the pads was because the brake light was coming on and eventually stayed on. The light still hasnt gone away after the pad change on all fours. When asking the neighbor apparently the brakes were functioning normally. Which is apparent by the 1% of pad left on the previous pads both front and rear.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.