03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Poorest quality Tacoma ever?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rdharper
You guys are discouraging me from picking up a new Tacoma.

Only Tundra comes with an oil pressure gauge... Tacoma and Ridgeline don't...
I wouldn't be worried about what the naysayers say. The Tacoma is a great truck, and what few problems they have are either relatively minor when compared to what many trucks have, or have been taken care of since inception (such as the weak rear spring issue).

Keep in mind that the Ridgeline, while probably a good reliable vehicle with alot of innovations, has a front wheel drive car based drivetrain (with 4wd added), while the Tacoma still has a full frame and a stronger truck drivetrain.

The '05+ Tacoma 4wd front differential also has an 8" ring gear instead of a 7.5" ring gear like previous IFS models have. I don't know this for a fact, but I would think that Toyota would have also increased CV joint and shaft size/strength as well.

Also keep in mind that many factory oil "pressure guages" get their signal from a switch (just like an oil pressure light) and not a pressure sender. A guage with a switch is still either on or off like a light, and the only variation in "pressure" is not due to actual pressure, but instead is due to variations in alternator voltage as the engine speeds up or slows down.

The Tundra may actually use a pressure sender (the Jeep Wrangler does, but Fords use a switch), but an oil guage connected to a switch is no better than a light.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Tacoma, and I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally, I wouldnt buy a Toyota unless it has a sticker in the door jamb that says "Made IN Japan"

There IS a big difference
Old 02-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
Personally, I wouldnt buy a Toyota unless it has a sticker in the door jamb that says "Made IN Japan"

There IS a big difference
There is a difference.... is about as strong as I'd put it.

Toyota should read "Honda, an American Success Story." It becomes clear why Honda's motorcycles and cars... and yes, trucks, built in the US and Canada, have the same quality as those built in Japan. It is not an accident. Their approach is the reason Honda can, and does, export cars made in the US back to Japan.

The Tundra is an even worse example... so far. But I'd not bet against Toyota in the long run. Or Honda.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:56 AM

Hey Guys,

First I would like to Congratulate "Belize" on His Humility. An Exellent trait to have, and one We could all use more of in these "Forums".

My other point is, from My understanding all Toyotas "Built in America" are merly "Assembeld" here. From prebuilt major component (engine,trans,frames, ect.) packages. I think it would be pretty hard to screw that up, i.e. put the bolts in. Unless Americans have not been able to prove that they can, put the bolts in.

Thank Kiwi

edit: cooled it off a bit.

Last edited by Kiwipushrod; 02-24-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kiwipushrod
Hey Guys,

First I would like to Congratulate "Belize" on His Humility. An Exellent trait to have, and one We could all use more of in these "Forums".

My other point is, from My understanding all Toyotas "Built in America" are merly "Assembeld" here. From prebuilt major component (engine,trans,frames, ect.) packages. I think it would be pretty hard to screw that up, i.e. put the bolts in. Unless Americans have not been able to prove that they can, put the bolts in.

Thank Kiwi

edit: cooled it off a bit.
The difference is in Japan there is a guy with tiny hands and a micrometer checking and rechecking clearances on your door jams.....

In America.....its most likely a hungover, fat, un-educated, over paid redneck trying to put slot b in tab a (no offense to anyone in the industry...its just how I percieve it from a personal standpoint)
Old 02-24-2008, 11:28 AM

Hey Dirt,

I absolutely, positively, cannot believe, You said that.

Do those Americans drive Buggys in the woods?

I'm afraid Your on Your Own with that post.

Thanks Kiwi
Old 02-24-2008, 04:36 PM

there is a slight difference in the stuff made here compared to japan but the old Tacomas were made in the US and Mexico and i see those running a whole lot longer than most of the 90-95 pickups and 4runners. there is nothing to worry about.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:28 PM

The difference is in Japan there is a guy with tiny hands and a micrometer checking and rechecking clearances on your door jams.....

In America.....its most likely a hungover, fat, un-educated, over paid redneck trying to put slot b in tab a (no offense to anyone in the industry...its just how I percieve it from a personal standpoint)
Hey Yotatech,

"Freedom of Speech" in Action. I'm still Stunned.

God Bless America!

Thanks Kiwi
Old 02-24-2008, 10:59 PM

How you percieve things apparantly says alot about you.
You are clearly nothing more than a close-minded,
un-educated sissy, and you feel that if you sit behind your
computer spouting non-sense, you are exempt from having
to display any intelligence.

Don't get me wrong, I think that my 1992 Pickup is a fine
example of one the best trucks ever produced. I also have
a 2002 Tundra, built/assembled in Indiana. I defy you to search
my Tundra and find one flaw in design or build quality.

As far as that great Japanese engineering goes,
The Land of the Rising Sun is far from perfect.
Need I go into such things as exhaust system design
on the 3VZE?
Or would you rather me talk about every 22R I hear with
a violent rod knock?

Whew... I apologize for that. Something about people slandering
and making generalizations kinda ticks me off. (BTW my father
is a proud Ford employee in Batavia, OH).

Back on topic.. The current Tacoma's issues for me are
the cheap quality interior components, weak tailgate,
small cabin, and the insane price tag. On the brightside,
the 4.0 V6 is a big ol' torque monster with plenty of
giddyup. The ride is smooth, but still lets you know you're
driving a truck. Plus, the optional bed-mounted 110V power
inverter is probably the coolest accessory Toyota has ever
offered.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by nix4x4
Not only that, look at where he's from. He lives in Misery, and it appears he belongs there.

As far as I'm concerned, what he said wasn't just a slap in the face for Toyota or the auto workers, but for American workers in general. And also for us southerners (where you tend to find the biggest concentration of rednecks), and rednecks regardless of where they live.

I know for a fact that not all rednecks are the same and that they don't all fit the stereotype.

I know a true redneck that worked as an industrial maintenance mechanic at my old job (a chemical plant). If you ever met him and heard his strong southern accent (more like a Kentucky hillbilly accent than native Floridian), you might percieve him as dumb. But in reality, he is one of the smartest people I've ever known, and a good worker as well.

Based on what can tell, my redneck friend is smarter than dirtoyboy.

Last edited by William; 02-25-2008 at 06:00 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:18 AM

You are clearly nothing more than a close-minded,
un-educated sissy, and you feel that if you sit behind your
computer spouting non-sense, you are exempt from having
to display any intelligence.

Whew... I apologize for that. Something about people slandering
and making generalizations kinda ticks me off. (BTW my father
is a proud Ford employee in Batavia, OH).
Originally Posted by William
Not only that, look at where he's from. He lives in Misery, and it appears he belongs there.

Based on what can tell, my redneck friend is smarter than dirtoyboy.
It wasnt my intent....but I obviously struck a nerve here....

Stereotypes can be pretty harsh sometimes.....but thats exactly WHAT they are is a stereotype. Not everyone thinks the same way you guys do. Remember that when you are calling someone "close-minded" or personally attacking them

"A stereotype is a simplified and/or standardized conception or image with specific meaning, often held in common by one group of people about another group. A stereotype can be a conventional and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image, based on the assumption that there are attributes that members of the other group hold in common. Stereotypes may be positive or negative in tone. They are typically generalizations based on minimal or limited knowledge about a group to which the person doing the stereotyping does not belong."

Thats all...have a nice day
Old 02-25-2008, 06:28 AM

All I have to say on this subject is that Japanese cars were only able to get a foothold on american consumers in the 80's for a reason. They made a better product, period. Consumer statisfaction levels continue to favor Japanese cars.

While I won't go so far as to say something as drastic as Dirtoyboy I will say that the quality control on behalf of the american worker is just as much to blame as poor design quality on the behalf of the manufacturer. Both combined led to the rise in Japanese import popularity. The Japanese workers are more concerned with the quality of what their building instead of how much they are gonna make like the American worker. Its not specific to auto workers its just an american attitude. We are all guilty of it.

We have (or had until last year) assembly plants for the big three in St. Louis, Missouri so it is a big UAW town and they have lots of power. Many times the workers get away with what I would consider unacceptable quality standards for any industry. My current business partner worked a management position for Chrysler in the early 80's and some of the stories he has are amazing.

That being said. My fathers Toyota Sequioa (which was assembled in america)has 100k of completely trouble free miles on it and it was the first non american branded vehicle he has ever owned. He also says its the best vehicle he has ever owned and this is coming from a former gung ho american made car family.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by toyminator2000; 02-25-2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by William

Uh... Wasn't Florida the state that couldn't figure out how to stamp a voter card a few years ago?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:03 AM

Agree totally. I've had a couple Yota "trucks" and my 2006 4Runner, although a really nice car, is not a great truck. The fit and finish ain't so hot either. My dirver's seat creaks. I have a thumping under the hood when it's cold and I am in reverse. I am WAY too low to the ground (stock)!!!!!

I think this is all market-driven. I am surprised that the rear axle is still solid. Cupholders and "saftey" are driving sales. Not approach and departure angles. The other thing is that as the numbers of vehicles produced goes up, so does the number of defects....not to mention "mainstream" design changes that p*ss youu off. :-)

I really hope Toyota doesn't totally go Ford or Chevy or worse...Dodge on us. We want capable, reliable off road vehicles at a managable size!

Two cents rendered....
Old 02-25-2008, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Trail_Banger
I think this is all market-driven. I am surprised that the rear axle is still solid. Cupholders and "saftey" are driving sales. Not approach and departure angles. The other thing is that as the numbers of vehicles produced goes up, so does the number of defects....not to mention "mainstream" design changes that p*ss youu off. :-)
I understand your frustration. But you have to look
at from the perspective of other people involved.
The off road market isn't targeted with pickup trucks.
They gave us FJ's and Wrangler's for that.
John Truckbuyer is going to go to the local dealership
and ask what features they offer. He'll think, in the event
that I actually leave pavement, it'll just be on grass. So, why is approach/departure important? On the other hand, he also thinks,
I drink coffee every day on the way to work. Therefor, cupholders are more important than approach angles

I agree it sucks that every new truck model is uglier than the last one
and they all seem to be losing functionality in favor of comfort and convenience. Its all about what the consumers want, not what the online forum guys with no money want.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by toyminator2000
Uh... Wasn't Florida the state that couldn't figure out how to stamp a voter card a few years ago?
Nope. There is no "stamp" involved with any kind of voting method that I've used. The issue wasn't with the voters and what they knew or didn't know. And I've never had any trouble casting my vote.

Most all of the issues were caused by machine or punch card problems, and those issues had been around for years. It wasn't until there was a close race combined with a party that didn't want to accept the results, plus media sensationalism and hype, that the issue came to light.

There have been similar issues in other states, by the way, even if the crybaby biased media usually only makes light of it when their preferred candidate doesn't win.

Percentage wise, there aren't very many true Floridians here anymore. So many people live here that were born in other states, with most of those states being the cold northern states. Whatever you are implying also applies to them. However, I already shot down whatever wrong idea you were trying to imply, so it applies to none of us.

And the point of your senseless and dumb question is...?
Old 02-25-2008, 08:10 AM

Hey Guys,

Dont You think that if Toyota (in its infinite Wisdom) had an American "Build" Problem, They would just send one of "Dirts", guys with the "tiny hands, and micrometer" to show the "fat rednecks" how to do it?

I apoligize in advance, as I had to find humor somewhere in this Thread.

Thanks Kiwi
Old 02-25-2008, 08:15 AM

I understand your frustration. But you have to look
at from the perspective of other people involved.
The off road market isn't targeted with pickup trucks.
They gave us FJ's and Wrangler's for that.
John Truckbuyer is going to go to the local dealership
and ask what features they offer. He'll think, in the event
that I actually leave pavement, it'll just be on grass. So, why is approach/departure important? On the other hand, he also thinks,
I drink coffee every day on the way to work. Therefor, cupholders are more important than approach angles

I agree it sucks that every new truck model is uglier than the last one
and they all seem to be losing functionality in favor of comfort and convenience. Its all about what the consumers want, not what the online forum guys with no money want.
This thread is getting Better! Thank You Nix.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:33 AM

Hey Guys,

Dont You think that if Toyota (in its infinite Wisdom) had an American "Build" Problem, They would just send one of "Dirts", guys with the "tiny hands, and micrometer" to show the "fat rednecks" how to do it?

I apoligize in advance, as I had to find humor somewhere in this Thread.

Thanks Kiwi
I work at a Toyota dealership. I drive 2008 Toyota's all day,
40 hours/wk. I'm so good, they even pay me..

Anyway, the problem that I see with the new models isn't about
how they are assembled, but rather what they are actually assembling.
Cheap plastic interiors, poor fabric choices, leather thats hard as stone.
They've got this new 'dipping' procedure for the paintjobs. Causes
an 'orange-peel' affect that is hidious.

Toyota has won the market over with the past 25 years worth of
spectacular vehicles. They're gonna sit back now and charge too much
for a crappy car until people figure it out. They're sitting on top of
the world right now.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:47 AM

Hey Guys,

Kiwi, you're a smart guy.....Toyota actually does do that... I dont think the actual production methods are the problem. Toyota's production methods are copied by EVERY car manufacturer on planet earth. There is no doubt that they are the most efficient

Quick Reply: Poorest quality Tacoma ever?