03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Poorest quality Tacoma ever?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
parts are mostly made by Denso which is mostly in Japan. look at the interiour panels, if you see japanese letters on panels and body panels, i will post the biggest apology ever on YT. not parts because parts DO come from Japan mostly and a few from the states. they are built means assembled and they are assebled in usa(the ones sold in usa that is). Like i said, show me a pic of japanese letters on any panels of a 4x4 sold from 95+ in usa i will givemy most sincere apology. And they can say what ever you want on a sticker, doesn't make it a true statement, dealers are very slick when it comes to getting things sold by appeal. i Canada i talk to friends who work at a dealer and they told me that most 4x4's are made either ontario or come from the usa.

Last edited by Belize Off Road Team; 01-29-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first off the stickers are the factory stickers from toyota everyone of the 4runners/fjcruisers/landcruisers say from toyota 100% japan parts and assembly(not dealer installed stickers). Secondly they are not made in the Hino factory. the only that Hino makes for toyotas sold to the public in the US/canada is the rear axles on theTundras and Tacomas, which are made in the US/Canada anyway. You are so lost and ignorant on this it is not even funny, that is is like me trying to tell you that the hilux's down there come with a Mercedes diesel. I don't know because i don't live there. for instance all vin #'s starting with JT are made in Japan j means Japan. I would be willing to bet that if you checked the vin on your hilux assuming it was made in japan would start with JT also.I went to a local dealers website and pulled a vin from a 2008 toyota 4runner it's vin was JTEBT17R178042632, while on the other hand the US/Mexico made tacomas vin starts with a number such as 5t or 4t like this example of a 2007 tacom 5TELU42NX7Z396269. you see the differene?

Last edited by sardi55; 01-29-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

take a picture of your 95+ toyota's that has japanese letters on body/interor panels and i will say sorry. because alot of PARTS on toyota are often made in Japan or else where in the world thanks to Hino and Denso. if i'm as ignorant as you claim, than why have i done so well for my self in only 2 years in the working world as an EMR and safety tech.?????? until then stop insulting people you know nothing about. and the Hilux has a D4D common rail diesel with option of turbo and intercooler. i know my Toyota very well. you are just rude.

Last edited by Belize Off Road Team; 01-29-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:17 PM

that's the point you know YOUR toyota very well! I know what is sold up here i also worked on them for two years as a Toyota certified tech i know what is in the door panels and under the hoods HERE. I didn't mean to sound rude or mean but if someone is misinformed im going to tell it like it is.

Last edited by sardi55; 01-29-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

To my knowledge, any Toyota vehicle with a VIN beginning with "J" is manufactured in Japan.

Lots of Toyota parts are manufactured in Japan and shipped to the US to be assembled on US made Toyotas.

Which are better, Japanese made Toyotas or American made Toyotas, or Toyotas made in one of the dozen countries that manufactures them is a matter of conjecture.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:51 PM

I was made in America, and though I'm not sure of my mileage, I'm only 30 years old and my knees are already wearing out! Also I broke my toe yesterday, the second one in 10 years. I wish I was Japanese.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
take a picture of your 95+ toyota's that has japanese letters on body/interor panels and i will say sorry. because alot of PARTS on toyota are often made in Japan or else where in the world thanks to Hino and Denso. if i'm as ignorant as you claim, than why have i done so well for my self in only 2 years in the working world as an EMR and safety tech.?????? until then stop insulting people you know nothing about. and the Hilux has a D4D common rail diesel with option of turbo and intercooler. i know my Toyota very well. you are just rude.
It’s not your false statement that makes you ignorant. It’s that fact that you think you are so right and have no facts to back up your statement. The letters on the door panels have nothing to do with it. As stated above ANY Toyota with a VIN that starts with “J” is built in Japan. This includes ALL 4runner, land cruiser, and FJ cruisers. I know this as I work for Toyota Motor Manufacturing NA. If you have questions about the locations at which each of these vehicles are produced then please let me know… As you mentioned, I think you own YT an apology.

By the way, I think your the one being RUDE...
Old 01-29-2008, 05:23 PM

The ONLY vehicles that are built in North America are the Avalon, Camry, Solara, Corolla, Matrix, RX350, Tundra,Sequoia, Sienna, Tacoma. Thats it nothing else. All other vehicles sold in the US come from Japan.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:41 PM

yeah i know this kid is cocky as all hell.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:15 AM

Still waiting on a reply from Belize Off Road Team. I'd like to hear what you have to say. Your right about the FJ being built at a HINO plant, just the wrong country. Try HINO motors Japan not North America. Still waiting on that apology.

Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
parts are mostly made by Denso which is mostly in Japan. look at the interiour panels, if you see japanese letters on panels and body panels, i will post the biggest apology ever on YT. not parts because parts DO come from Japan mostly and a few from the states. they are built means assembled and they are assebled in usa(the ones sold in usa that is). Like i said, show me a pic of japanese letters on any panels of a 4x4 sold from 95+ in usa i will givemy most sincere apology. And they can say what ever you want on a sticker, doesn't make it a true statement, dealers are very slick when it comes to getting things sold by appeal. i Canada i talk to friends who work at a dealer and they told me that most 4x4's are made either ontario or come from the usa.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

I would like to extend my deepest and most sincer appology to everyone i have offended with my incorrect information that i collected from several websites thinking the info was correct. I ask that you please forgive for this mistake and i hope we can put this incident behind us.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

Man,I think we all got worked up over a little misinformation,Geeeez.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AppleJack
I was made in America, and though I'm not sure of my mileage, I'm only 30 years old and my knees are already wearing out! Also I broke my toe yesterday, the second one in 10 years. I wish I was Japanese.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Man,I think we all got worked up over a little misinformation,Geeeez.
No kidding.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:53 AM

I've got almost 180,000 on my 03 4runner. Still running great. I did have to replace the cat converters last year, but that's it. Every now and then I get a little belt noise under the hood, but it stops by the time I'm out the driveway.
My buddy is in a new (07) Explorer he called me last week while at a dealer waiting for a rental car to show up. He's got 60,000 on it and it's left him stranded 4 times!!!
Toyota may have compromised a little in quality, but not much. My wife's 98 Landcruiser has 195,000 on it. No problems at all, I'll get to 200K before she does, and I have 4 wheeled 1000% more. Plus I pull a trailer.
I've been in Pathfinders, Grand Cherokees, Explorers, Trailblazers, and Troopers. The 4 runner is still the best "all around" SUV going. (just my .02)
By the way both my Toyotas were built in Japan, that's important to me. I know too many folks in the US auto industry. I am just not sure that the US auto workers put as much pride into thier products.. I could be wrong. Sorry if I've offended anyone..
Old 02-12-2008, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by CyMoN
that what happens when you out source your plants and make the cars and trucks in other country's. cheaper labor means less quality vehicle's.
we move our car plants to Mexico and japan moves their plants to America. funny how that works.
these are two different situations... American car manufacturers outsource to save money due to cheaper labor. When Japanese car manufacturers move facilities over it, its to cut costs on shipment and other economic conditions or to help efficiency. more than likely it costs Toyota more to manufacturer on US soil then it does in Japan. Labor is much more expensive here...
Old 02-12-2008, 07:36 AM

concerning the soccer mom oriented vehicles these days, something should have raised a red flag in your mind when Toyota went from the 8" solid front axle to IFS. So you have a "nicer Ride" I will take off road performance in the form of even a harsh ride on road anyday.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:53 PM

Toyota made the change to IFS on the truck and 4Runner back in '86. That was a good 6 to 8 or so years before I ever remember hearing the term "soccer mom". Back then, moms typically didn't drive SUVs. Plus, back then moms were almost never seen driving compact 4wd trucks with or without IFS.

Trucks and SUVs back then were almost always male owned and male driven.

So I don't think that the switch that Toyota made to IFS had anything to do with soccer moms.

I don't know how much you've travelled, but I've driven from Florida to Wyoming, then to Washington State, then to California and back to Florida in one trip. Plus I've taken other long vacations, including towing my utility trailer with my ATV and motorcycle on it to Kentucky and back, and also going rockcrawling near Moab Utah (been there twice).

When I'm doing 1000+ mile days and/or towing a load down rough and curvy roads, give me IFS. IFS has it's place.

I know that a solid axle is better in most any situation off road. I'm not debating that. And I would like to have a solid axle truck for more demanding off road situations. But take one trip where you are driving 9000 miles in about 2 1/2 weeks, and you may want IFS.

Last edited by William; 02-12-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

You guys are discouraging me from picking up a new Tacoma.

I love my '85 long bed pu, and '94 4Runner. Both continue to run beautifully... or at least as well as new. The PU is stiff as hell, but the engine is quick and responsive... when I need a truck, it works just great.

But I need (want) one vehicle I can use for just about everything. My Great Dane suffers everytime he can't come with me because I needed a truck.

My wife LOVES Toyota... so I'm stuck (I love Honda engines, the Ridgeline would be my preference). If she won't drive what I buy, we end up insuring too many vehicles. Anyway... I can see from CR that Toyota (and Honda) are still the best, but I also see Tacoma has suffered (slightly) in reliabiity in the last few years, in a few categories. I assume Toyota takes good care of their customers, as they always have... so I'm not too worried.

As you've noticed below, I never sell my old vehicles. So I guess a DC 4x4 Tacoma will be the choice (sniff). Anything to keep the Great Dane and the wife happy. (Its called getting old... less juice (and more wisdom?)

I do notice there are a not lot of engine related problems. Actually none if I read correctly.

Only Tundra comes with an oil pressure gauge... Tacoma and Ridgeline don't... something I place some value on. But that is a personal hangup. I think most people don't put them to good use anyway... so if the engines are a reliable as they are.. just adds cost.

Anyway... keep this thread up. Hard to beat Yotatechers experience and knowledge.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
The new Taco's are not that bad. Every model has issues. Have I had any issues with my '05 DC Tacoma, sure. Would I trade it in, maybe if I could get an awesome deal on a full size Diesel just because I find with my trail truck I that I could use a bigger truck for towing. The DC works great for every day needs and my Australian Shepherd and Border Collie love the back..I looked at/drove the Ridgeline, didn't feel like a truck to me...Is Honda a good product, yes.

Oil Pressure gauge, easy aftermarket fix...

I have a SA '81 for off roading because I think it works better. As mentioned before, IFS rides way better for daily life...

If you have concerns about mileage, you don't need a truck....

Quick Reply: Poorest quality Tacoma ever?