03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

ARB 4Runner Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARB 4Runner Discussion Thread

With my last thread getting pretty far off-topic, I thought it might be helpful to start a new thread on the details of this truck.

I am testing the 4Gen for ARB and Toyota over several months and 10+ trails.

2004 4Runner V8, 5-Speed Automatic

Front and rear ARB Locking differentials, stock gearing

265/70 R17 BFG AT/KO's mounted on stock wheels

Prototype Front ARB Bull Bar

Warn 9000 winch

Limb Risers

OME Suspension

45L Fridge/Freeze

9 IPF Lights

The new Compact ARB compressor for locker activation, portable compressor for tires

ARB Recovery Kit and the new XJack

ARB steps/rock rails

So, let me know if you have any questions on the truck or the ARB equipment installed. I will do my best to answer them.

Overall, I am very impressed with the vehicles. A fantastic motor and transmission. The OME suspension handles great, and the overall balance and tractability is excellent.

I would say the best feature is the option of up to three locking differentials AND the Active Trac. I drove all of the trails without the front locker engaged (with the exception of one ledge) and the combination is hard to beat. Great steering control and the quick responding A-Trac.

I was also able to completely dispel the rumor of the 4Runner A-Trac getting the truck stuck in the sand by locking all of the tires (with the brakes). I spent three hours in the dunes and purposefully tried to make that occur. Never happened, even at street pressure. It is important to lock the center diff though, and disable the VSC.

For those of you with a 4 gen, you are lucky!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 03:47 PM

Do you have any pics of the vehicle sitting on level ground not moving? What springs did you use in the front 884s or 885s? I have a V6 and want to lift the front 2.5 inches. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:27 PM

One nice looking truck. Now only if ARB would make that bumper for everyone .

Does the Locker interfer with A trac? i tought it would since there is no slipage on a certain axle.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:49 AM

Are the rock rails available?
Old 02-17-2006, 06:53 AM

I will be talking with ARB today, and let you know
Old 02-17-2006, 11:16 AM

It's a truck full of ghost products..

Last edited by sincity04; 02-17-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be interested is some more info and pics of the X-jack please.

Lamm
Old 02-17-2006, 10:17 PM

i would like to know all of the parts used in that OME suspension. is it a new full kit or the prado kit?
Old 02-18-2006, 05:49 AM

I will find out the details on the kit. I am out testing the 4Runner in Sedona Arizona today.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:37 AM

When your talking to ARB let them know us 4th Gen owners are pissed they are not committing to a bullbar production. With 50+ people listed on one forum alone requesting it, it's pretty poor business to continue to get the same canned response everyone gets. Build a product and people will follow.

Looks like the Shrockworks bullbar will be a better design (approach angle) than the current mock-up of the Prado bar on the truck your driving currently.

I hope your enjoying the trip. Sure looks like fun!
Old 02-19-2006, 11:19 AM

Expeditionswest, something wrong with your pictures, they are not downloads. Could you double check them?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:18 AM

looks like everything is ok now... Server might have been down.

I am meeting with ARB again today. Look for updates this evening or early tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

Scott, it was a pleasure meeting you and giving me the opportunity to check out the 4runner today

Now for some detailed pics:

My thoughts on the ARB rails - It looks nice for a running board but that's about it. It only has 2 anchor points which are bolt on but the load is not distributed enough to be considered a point where you can use your hilift as a lift jack point. Scott told me that they did in fact use it as a rock slider and it did hold up well but it's definitely not strong enough for extended abuse. I would definitely not recommend this as a viable rock slider solution. Outside of that, the finish is great

Old 02-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

Roof Rack: It's burly and well made. The rack itself is a production piece it looks like so expect these to hit the shelves. The light rack seems to be an one off product but am not certain. The rails are bolt on in the factory position. Strong and durable. (two thumbs up)

Expect mpg to suffer greatly though.

Last edited by Good Times; 02-20-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Bumper: Definitely a well made bumper. You can't even tell that it was pieced together by several different bumpers. Those that are waiting for ARB to release this bumper, email tlund@arbusa.com and tell them that you want this as it'll be a beauty.

Mounts are well made and secured at the front of the frame and the sides making it very rigid. A recovery point is available (2) and is mounted right at frame height making this an ideal position. The winch itself is mounted very low making it better and more stable. The factory skid plate can be utilized without any modification making it easy to bolt on. Bumper looks to be very heavy as expected by any plate bumper but strong.

Side valance cover is nice but I don't like how it's bolted on the bottom (check spacer). Looks like one big hit and it's going to get mangled like crazy.

Last edited by Good Times; 02-20-2006 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:44 PM

Tim Lund emailed me pics of this 4R a long time ago. I believe he is responsible for building it up. He's a class act. If you want any ARB products, email him! he's really in your corner!

Lance,
The ARB sliders look pretty good to me. Maybe in real life the impression is different.

I think the "side valence covers" you mention (under the front bumper) are spaced b/c they are actually for the 120 and there are slight differences (?)

Again, I believe that is Tim's handiwork in tailoring a 120 front bumper to the 4R.
Anyway, at least ARB USA is on board with the 4th gen! Hopefully ARB AU wakes up!

Nice pics Lance
Old 02-21-2006, 07:14 AM

It was nice meeting you too Lance!

The side bars are not marketed as rock sliders, though I have tested them as such with no damage. They make for a great step to access the roof rack, and do a remarkable job of keeping the side of the truck clean too.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:16 AM

The bumber is not reflective of the production unit, and as Lance mentioned, it is a one-off unit.

ARB engineers will be working on measurements and design today and tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by expeditionswest
The bumber is not reflective of the production unit, and as Lance mentioned, it is a one-off unit.

I hope they will leave the design as is. I like it better with two plates over the winch and very cool fog lights mounts with side markers/DRL. My 2c, but I think it looks much better the Tacomas and 3rd Gen. one.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by expeditionswest

SO are they actually going to produce the bumper now? So far they have not committed to actually producing the bumper.

Lance great pics.

Quick Reply: ARB 4Runner Discussion Thread