03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

AH64ID's 07 Taco Buildup

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey john, so for the coil spacers up front, u got the 3/4 of a inch, right? why do they sell the two inch if it makes it higher up front?
Old 04-07-2007, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by itsmeagain5789
hey john, so for the coil spacers up front, u got the 3/4 of a inch, right? why do they sell the two inch if it makes it higher up front?
Dunno, but yeah I lifted mine 1.75" and its DEAD level.... 2" would have been too much, but 1.5" may have been better, so with a light load its still level... I think I am going to add 1/4 - 1/2" blocks (whatever I can get out of the OEM u-bolts) and air bags.... Thou the truck looks sharp right now.

The spring spacer is 1", the top plate is 3/4"
Old 04-07-2007, 02:07 PM

im gonna put a randy ellis light bar up front. do you think i should go with 1.5 or 1.75 or 2? I ask because i still want it to be level with the light bar. thanks for your help.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by itsmeagain5789
im gonna put a randy ellis light bar up front. do you think i should go with 1.5 or 1.75 or 2? I ask because i still want it to be level with the light bar. thanks for your help.
Mine is level with the 1.75", but for my appearnce reasons I could go a hair lower, but I will just bring the back up a hair.... How heavy is the light bar? Really the OEM springs are probally 500+ in/lbs... so a 40lbs bar wont do a thing.. lift it what you want...
Old 04-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's what a local dealer had on the lot last year, might give you some ideas:

Sliders and bumpers are from Allpro.

Last edited by mt_goat; 04-08-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:16 PM

that truck is way sweet but $40 grand! u can buy a nice porshe for that money but every1 has their limits i guess..
Old 04-09-2007, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Rivalred
Do yourself and your beautiful vehicle a favor, get some WeatherTech Floor Liners for your truck. I had them and they worked very well.

www.weathertech.com
Unfortunately, it appears they don't have floor liners for '07 tacos
Old 04-09-2007, 04:33 AM

I have the weathertech liners in my 07. There's no difference from the 05-06's.

Scott
Old 04-09-2007, 05:19 AM

Ok. I guess they haven't updated their site for '07's yet.

That liner looks sweet. I like that it hooks right into the existing hook there. $150 though. Ouch. Have to think about that, since I just bought a pair for about $20 at Advanced Auto (not nearly as nice though).
Old 04-09-2007, 06:23 AM

Toyota also makes a set that says Toyota I am gonna get those

That truck looks nice, but yeah way to much $$$... I am not sold on the allpro front, and the rear ditches the OEM Class IV receiver... not thanks....

I do want to get some sliders, with out a kickout.. I like the kick out, but way to hard to get the little girl in and out....
Old 04-09-2007, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AH64ID
Toyota also makes a set that says Toyota I am gonna get those

That truck looks nice, but yeah way to much $$$... I am not sold on the allpro front, and the rear ditches the OEM Class IV receiver... not thanks....

I do want to get some sliders, with out a kickout.. I like the kick out, but way to hard to get the little girl in and out....
I would advise against the Toyota set, I am on my second set and while I never had any problems with the set in my 3rd gen 4runner the ones in my Tacoma aren't holding up that great, at least the driver's. My left heel wore a hole in it in less than a year.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by justinh
I would advise against the Toyota set, I am on my second set and while I never had any problems with the set in my 3rd gen 4runner the ones in my Tacoma aren't holding up that great, at least the driver's. My left heel wore a hole in it in less than a year.
Interesting.... a buddy of mine has had great luck with his....

I will have to see who else makes them with the gromets in them
Old 04-09-2007, 07:32 AM

hehe.. .stuff to build the taco up with
Old 04-13-2007, 03:04 PM

My new tacoma has many uses, the main one being a family camping trail rig. It wont see the wheeling my 92 saw, but oh well. I installed a 1.75" level kit and its perfect, but the hitch would sag too far with a bed full of gear and tounge weight, so it was airbag time. I thought about AAL, but dont want the extra ride height or spring rate all the time, OEM ride is great..

I looked into the Air Ride and Firestone bags. The Air Ride bags mount aft of the axle, and this really discouraged me, I didnt want an odd shape being forced into my springs. The firestone kit is a little overkill, but shouldnt limit travel.. havent tested this yet.

So I orderd the kit from Summit $242 to the door, and it showed up yesterday. The brackets and air bags are very very nice, the hardware SUCKS!!! It is bad for taiwan standards. Half way thru the install I said screw it and bought some new stuff, not all the hardware is new, but I will change it all out eventually.

The kit went on very smoothly, the hardest thing being trimming the bump stops.. .other than the POS hardware. The only fitment issue is at the brake line, but I will bend the mount a little in the next few days and feel safer.

Here you can see the "assemebled" kit and the bag.

The bag at static height

The bad fully compressed

Trimmed bump stop (In reality I should have removed them, espically with the PITA the driver side one was with the fuel tank there)

In place, starting to bolt up

Fully bolted up

Air line

10psi

50psi

0psi

40psi

50psi

Area that may need some clearancing, by the brake line..

Some height measurments

0psi 15.5" to the bottom of my hitch 36" to the wheelwell
10psi 17" to the bottom of my hitch 37" to the wheelwell
20psi 17.75" to the bottom of my hitch 37.75" to the wheelwell
40 psi 18.5" to the bottom of my hitch 38" to the wheelwell
50psi 19" to the bottom of my hitch 38.5" to the wheelwell

So it does what I want, brings the hitch up and keeps me level. My rear is bone stock otherwise...

On a side note, 50psi with and empty bed (about 2.5" lift) has a nice vibration at 5mph.

I also plan to have a line made with screw-on valves to use on the trail, this will allow load leveling and wheel travel. It will move air from one bag to the other as one side compresses.

Its about 50lbs per psi of leveling capibilities. So at 1000 lbs thats only 20psi, so they should never be worked too hard.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:13 AM

Great job and great documentation!
Old 04-27-2007, 01:56 PM

Couple new things to play with over the next few weeks....

Amsoil Dual Remote filtration mount w/bypass

Wont run the good EaO full-flow filters or syn until 10K thou.

Toyota Bed Cross Bars

with 3 of these to be mounted as backup lights

Viair 450C

and no photos for the bed mat, and ventvisors

I also need to get my CB, gauges, switches, and fuse box mounted. I am going to plumb and wire the gauges and wait for the a-pillar pod to be available, then install the actual gauge. For the trans temp I have an extra hardline to splice into so I get temp as close to the tranny as possible.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:57 AM

AH641D, nice rig. I too am looking into lifting my Taco and running some 33's. I noticed you said 2" would have been to much and was wondering why? I was going to go with a 3" lift to eliminate any cutting. Since you already thought through this and lifted your truck, just thought you might have some good input
Old 04-29-2007, 06:31 PM

we were just talking about leveling the truck. 2 inches would make your truck look higher in the front than in the back, unless you added something in the back. right now, stock, the tacos are lower in the front
Old 04-30-2007, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by sbikes
AH641D, nice rig. I too am looking into lifting my Taco and running some 33's. I noticed you said 2" would have been to much and was wondering why? I was going to go with a 3" lift to eliminate any cutting. Since you already thought through this and lifted your truck, just thought you might have some good input
yeah what itsmeagain said... and really if you wheel your truck I dont care if your stock or 3" of lift you will rub the same amount in the same places... so you will have to cut just as much.. another reason I just wanted a level kit. My front running ground clearance is a little higher, as is the breakover.. but the CV's, BJ's, and alignment specs dont complain. As it is with 1.75" lift up front I am maxed out on camber, any more would probally see neg effects, hence the aftermarket upper arms.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:36 AM

Got to playing with the rig today. I really like the bed mat... I think I am going to return the crossbars. They dont fit quite like I hoped, and the mity-mount adapter for Yakima racks fit 90* to where I would use them. Instead I am going to mount the rear lights to the sliding inserts on the rails. Still gives me the ability to move them fore and aft, and I dont block the bed with the crossbar.

I wired up my trailer brake controller today (consits of butt splicing 4 wires and sinking 2 screws)... and noticed that the OEM harness has 5 wires and the Prodigy only has 4. So the curiosity got to me, the 5th wire is triggered by the parking lights.... This means I can use this wire to power my aux light switches and I don't have to tap into the headlight circuit..woohooo....

Quick Reply: AH64ID's 07 Taco Buildup