4th gen w/ XREAS and DayStar Lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Daystar Kit for 4th Gen

Got email back from Daystar:
1) Kit for 4th Gen is KT09115 2.5" front and rear
2) They are still working on the installation instructions, so they couldn't send me any. (Dan Sexton at Daystar). They will mail me a copy when they get it.

I went to 4Wheel Parts in San Jose and the Kit retail for about $290. They will charge $480 for install with alignment sounds very pricey to me. I might just have to do it myself, although I have NEVER worked on suspensions before. They only had the 2.5" kit or just a 1" front lift, no 1.75" in the back lift

I will find out from Daystar again to see if they can supply front 2.5" lift and 1.75" in the back.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, 480 for install is pretty $$. You might as well do it yourself and take it to a local tire shop to have it aligned. Aligning the vehicle after any suspension mod is not necessarily needed but well recommended. Alignment should be well under 100 bucks.

If you don't have xreas then the install is relatively easy. Just rent a spring compressor (via autozone might still be free I think). If you do have xreas, you'll just have to be extra careful during the install.

Good luck! There are quite a few yota guys up in your area so I"m sure ppl will come to help ya out
Old 03-12-2004, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
Got email back from Daystar:
1) Kit for 4th Gen is KT09115 2.5" front and rear
2) They are still working on the installation instructions, so they couldn't send me any. (Dan Sexton at Daystar). They will mail me a copy when they get it.

I went to 4Wheel Parts in San Jose and the Kit retail for about $290. They will charge $480 for install with alignment sounds very pricey to me. I might just have to do it myself, although I have NEVER worked on suspensions before. They only had the 2.5" kit or just a 1" front lift, no 1.75" in the back lift

I will find out from Daystar again to see if they can supply front 2.5" lift and 1.75" in the back.

Stay away from 4wheel parts. The place is a stealer wanna be, and charging the same kind of prices. I would not give them any business, as well as trust them with my rig. I was quoted $330 for the install just for my front. No way
Old 03-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Good Times,

Thanks for the advice. I do have XREAS so I'm a LITTLE worried at doing it myself, since I'm pretty new at working with suspensions. It is one thing to understand and know how they work vs. actually working on them. SOrt of like reading 1001 positions for making love vs doing it

Biff,

Thanks. I got the impression 4 Wheel Parts guys dont know what they are talking about when it comes to Toys. I asked for the price for an ARB locker for the rear axle and the guy went I might attempt the lift with some supervision and help, but now way am I going to try to do the locker myself. I have mostly worked on engines and motorcycles in my "young days and trannies, driveline and suspension is best left to the gurus.

Anybody in Bay Area with knowledge of suspension lifts for Runners?? Also and/or anybody know of a place in Bay area to trust my XREAS to for lift and ARB locker install????

Last edited by bulldog-yota; 03-12-2004 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:52 PM
Banned

bulldog-yota --- I would like to chime in about the 4Wheel Parts place ... do not let them touch your truck unless it is for something nearly impossible to mess up. They will make fun of your truck, do everything they can to rip you off because they have no respect for your truck, and on top of that, they know NOTHING about 4runners - especially the new ones. You would be better off finding a buddy or two to help you out - but stay away from 4Wheel Parts if you're able to. Especially since you have XREAS ... I have no doubt they would wreck the system.

I asked people here if they knew of any places in Dallas to do my lift ... but, we didn't come up with anything - so, I wish you better luck, and I'm sure you'll find a trustworthy place to get yours done, or a friend who would be able to help you.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

and ARB locker install????
ARB has a rear locker for our 4runners already?
Old 03-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BajaTaco
yea, bald asian park ranger I need to get a new avatar! And a new sig too.. no more BFG's...
wuh? I like the old avatar, kind of miss that bald asian park ranger!
Old 03-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Good Times
ARB has a rear locker for our 4runners already?
DOnt know if they have yet, but the guy at 4 Wheel Parts went when I asked, he phoned some place and that was even more

I will keep looking, but I first want to do the lift, NEED LIFT NEED LIFT NEED LIFT
Old 03-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4route
bulldog-yota --- I would like to chime in about the 4Wheel Parts place ... do not let them touch your truck unless it is for something nearly impossible to mess up. They will make fun of your truck, do everything they can to rip you off because they have no respect for your truck, and on top of that, they know NOTHING about 4runners - especially the new ones. You would be better off finding a buddy or two to help you out - but stay away from 4Wheel Parts if you're able to. Especially since you have XREAS ... I have no doubt they would wreck the system.

I asked people here if they knew of any places in Dallas to do my lift ... but, we didn't come up with anything - so, I wish you better luck, and I'm sure you'll find a trustworthy place to get yours done, or a friend who would be able to help you.
Thanx for moral support, I saw your post. But if I help it will be like the blind leading the blind right??? I think keisur is offering help for you now, so good luck, post pics of install and put together installation guide, maybe you can sell it back to Daystar and get refund on your lift
Old 03-12-2004, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

DOnt know if they have yet, but the guy at 4 Wheel Parts went when I asked, he phoned some place and that was even more

I will keep looking, but I first want to do the lift, NEED LIFT NEED LIFT NEED LIFT
yeah I think the lift is in order for ya. As for the rear locker, if anyone finds anything out, let me know! I'm there!!! Cuz last I heard from ARB a few weeks ago was nada on the rear locker
Old 03-13-2004, 06:38 AM

Guys, you can do this lift. The lift is really no different between a XREAS and non XREAS. You just can't remove the strut assembly / rear shock from the vechicle. This doesn't make much diff on the rear. It only makes it complicated in the front.

When installing the front spacer, one must pull the strut under the control arm, compress the coils, manually and while the assembly is still attatched on the bottom, install spacers (there is two, one on the bottom one on the top plate) and reinstall.

When I did it with dan at Daystar, it took just over 2 hours. I am expecting pics myself from those guys but I have not received any thing yet.

I think, with the tools, all 4 wheels of the ground and patience, you will do it successfully.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:54 PM
Banned

bulldog -- I meant to get back to you sooner ... but there are a couple places online through which you can order the daystar kit...

i will PM you the details.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:01 PM
Banned

here's a PM I sent bulldog, just in case anyone else is in the market:

Daystar 2.5" front lift for $99.00 and a 2" rear lift for $145.00 -- (from http://wheelersoffroad.com)

Daystar 2.5" kit for $299. -- (from http://xtremeoff-road.com)

Daystar 2.5" kit for $249.95 -- (from http://www.firestoneairbag.com/websi...yota-frame.htm) (this site also allows you to purchase the front and rear spacers separately in whatever size you're looking for)

Those are the best deals I've found so far ... I hope this helps!!
Old 04-11-2004, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BlkSS1755
great looking truck w/ the lift.. i'm convinced!

Biff- how's your truck coming along?
Hey Vinnie

Just finished it. Posted pics in the SoCal Wrenchathon Thread, let me know what you think?
Old 06-27-2004, 09:08 AM

Snapped ABS line

Okay- I did the same damn thing. I just installed the Daystar lift and my abs light and VSC lights are on. I'm fairly certain I snapped the line. So, how much is it to get this fixed? You know, its always something.

Thanks,
Chris

Originally Posted by SEDONAZ
We recently installed the new Daystar 2.5/1.75 spacer lift in my 03 Runner. Pictures on the way (still w/ stock rims and tires - but its a start). Only problem with install was broke front/passanger ABS line on. Did it without realizing it at first. You don't have to break the cover to snap the internal wires - learning the hard way.

More pics on the way.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:09 AM

Snapped ABS line

Okay- I did the same damn thing. I just installed the Daystar lift and my abs light and VSC lights are on. I'm fairly certain I snapped the line. So, how much is it to get this fixed? You know, its always something.

Thanks,
Chris

Originally Posted by SEDONAZ
We recently installed the new Daystar 2.5/1.75 spacer lift in my 03 Runner. Pictures on the way (still w/ stock rims and tires - but its a start). Only problem with install was broke front/passanger ABS line on. Did it without realizing it at first. You don't have to break the cover to snap the internal wires - learning the hard way.

More pics on the way.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Chris, take it into the dealer and play dumb! They'll fix it for free
Old 09-17-2004, 09:59 AM

Install help on Daystar spacers-Northwest

Even with all the great advice on this site on installing the Daystar spacers on a 4th gen. 4Runner (with X-REAS), I don't feel comfortable doing it myselft. Anybody have any thoughts on a shop in the Northwest (preferably around Seattle but will travel a bit) that they would trust with something like this?
Old 09-17-2004, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

Seahawk1, if you're a hands on guy that's done some basic mechanical stuff this installation should not be too hard.

bring a few friends over that's done a lift installation to help ya thru the instruction and you'll be fine.

i highly doubt a store would want to touch it due to the xreas line. (liability).

good luck
Old 09-17-2004, 11:03 AM
Banned

you can do it! (and yeah, stores won't touch it)

Quick Reply: 4th gen w/ XREAS and DayStar Lift