03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

4th Gen rear defog & heated mirrors not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 4th Gen rear defog & heated mirrors not working

It started a couple of months back and because the weather has turned for the winter, it was time to figure this out once and for all ...

... the console button for the rear defog, which also controls the heated side mirrors, wasn't working. I don't recall exactly when they stopped, but I remember wondering what the heck happened when I first encountered the problem. I thought I may have forgotten to re-connect a plug behind the panel when I worked on my HAM radio a couple of months ago, but it wasn't that. In another forum, someone mentioned that some other plug under the console is suppose to be plugged in, but it wasn't that.

Nope, it's the damn rear window! If it's not up COMPLETELY, then the rear defog and heated mirrors don't work. Incidentally, nor does the rear wiper. I knew about the rear wiper but I never use it and never even thought to try it till tonight. When I did twist the arm, the proverbial lights came on. So, let's check the window ... well, I'll be damned. ... Burnt twice by the same friggin issue but on 2 different occasions!

It's not as if the rear window was actually down, it just wasn't up. I guess I must have brushed against the rear window <down> button at some point and it dropped a mm or 2 and ... well, it wasn't down - I SWEAR IT WASN'T! Boy, is that ever a touchy sensor on the rear window!

With all the warning and bells that can happen, why doesn't Toyota put a blasted red light in the dash or console to tell us that the sensor is tripped? If anyone knows of a mod to do that, post it here cause it's so frustrating trying to figure it out (when you don't have a clue to go on). What do heated side mirrors have to do with a rear window being down? Why not use a separate switch for the mirrors and put it near the panel that moves the mirrors?

I digress ... So here lies a thread for some other poor SOB to hit one day and hopefully save some frustration ...
Old 12-22-2011, 08:13 AM

I don't know how many others have benefited from Chris' post, but I have to say this one saved me from cracking open the rear door panels or worse. I took my '06 T4R in for it's 45k mile service, and they didn't think to check something so simple as this solution. I agree, there should be some indicator that the rear window isn't fully sealed. I thought there might be some kind of water leaking into the rear hatch, shorting out the motor. First my wiper wasn't working (intermittently) and then last week the defroster button wouldn't light up (as it's not cold enough to use it).

Thanks for posting this info Chris, useful even now (four years later)!
Old 12-22-2011, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Your very welcome and glad it helped! If you pull the battery, you need to so this again.

Also, the moonroof and drivers window switches need to be held on for a few seconds in order to make them "auto' again each time the battery is pulled.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:55 PM

Thanks, Chris! This just happened to me on my '05 Sport, and you just saved me from tearing apart my dash. I replaced my battery a few warm months ago, and that must have done the trick. A quick up-down on the rear window, and it all works again. Just became a YotaTech member to say thanks! Now I think I'll hang around for a while