03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

4Runner Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4Runner Shocks

I was looking for some aftermarket shocks for my lifted 4th Gen. 4Runner, but wasn't be able to find any good one. I have 3" front and 2" rear lift. What would you recommend? I'd also appreciate any images and specific part numbers if possible.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/Rancho.shtml

Here is a link from Roger Brown with most rancho shocks with thier sizes(collapsed and extended hieght) as well as thier mount type. You should be able to do the research(measure on your truck) to find out which ones will work.
Good luck
Old 02-19-2006, 05:24 PM

Thanks, I've checked the guide. Looks that I have to lift my truck to find out the right dimensions and shock travel.
How Rancho compares to Bilstein? I found that some Tundras has Bilstein.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:44 AM

some people are running the OME shocks from a prado lift. there have been plenty of posts on it.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:34 PM

I guess it depends on how good of a shock you want. Donahoe makes a real good shock and so does King. Bilstien is also real good.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

What kind of lift do you currently have Alex? If you have the xreas system then your only option is to do away with the xreas and go full blown OME or some coilover and rear shock/coil combination.

The traditional aftermarket shocks will not work because the 03+ 4runner has an approx 3.75" extension between the base of the shock and the eyelet due to the configuration of the front axle/suspension. The axle gets in the way so if you look closely you will notice an extension right by it. Because of this, no traditional aftermarket shock will work.

If you don't have xreas and just have a regular spacer lift then I suggest trying OME (front and rear). Best bang for the buck and drives like a stock rig but lifted. You can't ask for more for the price so check them out.

Medium Duty Coils (front/rear) 884/895
Heavy Duty Coils (front/rear) 885/896
Extra Heavy Duty Coils (front/rear) 886/897

Shocks:
Front - N140S
Rear - N141(Soft), N142(Firm)

Example lift measurement: OME Mediums 884 front / 895 rear / N140S frontshock / N142 rr shock = 3" lift front / 2.75" rear

If you want a softer rear setup go with 141's instead of the 142's. Talk to Bulldog_Yota for details as he's tried several different setups for the rear.

Good luck
Old 02-26-2006, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Good Times
What kind of lift do you currently have Alex? If you have the xreas system then your only option is to do away with the xreas and go full blown OME or some coilover and rear shock/coil combination.

The traditional aftermarket shocks will not work because the 03+ 4runner has an approx 3.75" extension between the base of the shock and the eyelet due to the configuration of the front axle/suspension. The axle gets in the way so if you look closely you will notice an extension right by it. Because of this, no traditional aftermarket shock will work.

If you don't have xreas and just have a regular spacer lift then I suggest trying OME (front and rear). Best bang for the buck and drives like a stock rig but lifted. You can't ask for more for the price so check them out.

Medium Duty Coils (front/rear) 884/895
Heavy Duty Coils (front/rear) 885/896
Extra Heavy Duty Coils (front/rear) 886/897

Shocks:
Front - N140S
Rear - N141(Soft), N142(Firm)

Example lift measurement: OME Mediums 884 front / 895 rear / N140S frontshock / N142 rr shock = 3" lift front / 2.75" rear

If you want a softer rear setup go with 141's instead of the 142's. Talk to Bulldog_Yota for details as he's tried several different setups for the rear.

Good luck
Lance, I've V6 Limited and it has the XREAS. Because of this I've gone with Cornfed Lift kit. It gave me 3" Front and 2" Rear lift. The problem with Cornfed is that it also extends my shocks: 1" Front and 1.8" Rear. Front seems to be Ok, but rear become very stiff. I think that stock shocks are progressive and have "comfort" zone at normal position and "stiff" zone at extended/compressed position. It also looks like extending front shock by 1" it still in comfort position, but rear with 1.8" are now in stiff position when truck is normally drives. This gives two things. First, rear is jumping every speed bump and hole on the road very hard, which also means uncomfortable. Second, by full extension looks like rear shocks working as axle limiters and under pressure can be broken at once or some time later. I'm trying to find the way to make some sort of shock extension or find the other way to return the shocks at their original positions, but all my ideas didn't work so far. All above mentioned make me think about upgrading my shocks to some aftermarket, especially rear ones. This will mean to take XREAS off.
So I have two questions:
What shocks may give me good ride, compare to stock with XREAS? I like XREAS, 4Runner is very stable on highways and in the corners. Are there any shock which can give me comfort low speed and stability on high speeds; we are also talking about lifted vehicle with 3" lifted center of gravity?
V8 Limited has Air Suspension on the rear. Does this means that V8 has rear shocks with longer travel or different characteristics which gives comfort ride with raised vehicle?
What are my options? What would you suggest me in my situation? I'd like to maintain XREAS and take it off only in a case of nothing else can be done.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:13 PM
Contributing Member

There's really no other option but to remove the xreas in my opinion. With that said, I'd recommend OME's as they give such a great plush ride. I was pretty impressed by the setup on one of the 4th gens I sat in. I must say it felt like stock!!!
Old 02-26-2006, 06:42 PM

There's really no other option but to remove the xreas in my opinion. With that said, I'd recommend OME's as they give such a great plush ride. I was pretty impressed by the setup on one of the 4th gens I sat in. I must say it felt like stock!!!
So, you're saying that it will rides as good on a highway and stable in the corners...?...
How much OME suspension setup can be?
Old 02-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Alex, Andries (Bulldog_Yota) is one of the first 4th genners to get the OME setup so talk to him about how nice the ride his. He should be able to give you first hand account of the setup. He has the v8 but he'll be able to give you a pretty good idea of how the ride is on the off/on-roads. I've read somewhere that he loves to corner a lot so he'll definitely be able to give you his 2 cents on how it performs on the highway.

FirstToy is the other member but he has the v6 so he's another person you'll definitely want to get first hand account of the ride and feel since you guys virtually have the same vehicle configuration.

As for OME vendors, any ARB vendor will supply the kit. I recommend Slee Offroad (www.sleeoffroad.com) as they will be able to sell you everything including the top plate so it's just a complete bolt on (no need to use any coil spacers etc as they assemble it for ya!). Another vendor is the Toyota of Dallas (trdparts4u.com). They'll be able to do the same as well.

One thing to note, if you want a softer rear you can opt to get the n141 shock vs the n142. Slight difference in feel but Bulldog_Yota or FirstToy should be able to get you the skinny on the differences.

Good luck.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:14 AM

Thank you Lance. I'll contact them to receive their experience and thoughts.
The point is I'm in Toronto, Canada and this might be the challenge to get kit here (sometimes very expensive shipping due to customs).
Old 02-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

Just remember, if you remove the X-REAS, you have to get rid of it all. Front/Rear Shocks, (probably rear coils). X-reas is really easy to remove, but don't do it unless you plan on spending some cash on the replacement. I'm not trying to convince you not too, I took mine off, but just know that there isn't a CHEAP way to do it.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:41 PM

Corrections:
-With one of the major spacer lifts, you will not damage the xreas shocks. I ran a daystar lift and was a full extension/compression many times without any problem. I believe the Daystar is approx 1.5- 2" tall. If the Cornfed is similar, you have no worry.

-Xreas shocks are easy to remove and easy to put back. You do not have to remove everything, you just have 4 extra connections per vehicle to disco.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jared
Just remember, if you remove the X-REAS, you have to get rid of it all. Front/Rear Shocks, (probably rear coils). X-reas is really easy to remove, but don't do it unless you plan on spending some cash on the replacement. I'm not trying to convince you not too, I took mine off, but just know that there isn't a CHEAP way to do it.
Sorry. Didn't get your point straight. What do you mean by "...but don't do it unless..."?
Old 02-27-2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by FirstToy
Corrections:
-With one of the major spacer lifts, you will not damage the xreas shocks. I ran a daystar lift and was a full extension/compression many times without any problem. I believe the Daystar is approx 1.5- 2" tall. If the Cornfed is similar, you have no worry.

-Xreas shocks are easy to remove and easy to put back. You do not have to remove everything, you just have 4 extra connections per vehicle to disco.
Daystar is 2.5" front + 1.5" rear.
I have Cornfed: 3" front + 2" rear.
When you have your Daystar, how was you ride with an empty vehicle? My is like I'm jumping on basketball.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FirstToy
Corrections:
What do you consider everything then? To take off X-Reas, you lose the front coilovers, the rear shocks and the connecting tubing and x-reas controllers. So the only thing that's REALLY a part of the suspension that's left is the rear coils. And if he already doesn't like the feel of the spacers, he is going to need rear coils too.

To AlexJet, what I meant by "don't do it unless", was: don't replace x-reas unless you plan on spending a bit of money. X-reas gives you a great ride that is flat in corners, but not too stiff. To get that same ride when you take them off, but still get some lift, spacers probably are going to be for you. So then you are going to need, new rear coils, new rear shocks, and new front coilovers. You can get a decent setup with what OME offers which won't break the bank too bad (depending on if you do the work yourself or not), but nothing is going to be (in my definition) cheap.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

Jared, I think FirstToy was commenting on the xreas as in you can actually leave the connecting tubes and the controller attached to your 4runner. The only parts that really needs to be removed are the parts being swapped (front and rear shock/coil assembly).

As for being $$, I think the thought being that is more in the area where you have invested quite a bit of $$ to get that feature and now you're in the process of removing the kit. Upgrading to OME's (or maybe it's considered downgrade since it's not as sophisticated - that's a personal call) will be in the 700-900 range depending on how much the top plate (if you plan to include that and have it fully assembled setup) will cost. Installation will be rather simple so long as you follow directions.

Spacers are known to give you a slighly more harsh ride so if you're not satisfied with the quality of the ride characteristics I really do recommend the OME setup. I'm not sure what your budget is but if you do have the funds to do this modification by all means do it as it's definitely a good one. OME has several different coil/shock combinations so keep that in mind when ordering your kit. Since you have the v6 I sincerely recommend the softer coils and shock. Both FirstToy and Bulldog_Yota were pioneers for this kit so they'll be able to give you details on the setup. Keep in mind they also removied their xreas system so they definitely know what they're talking about. Ask them about installation/reinstallation/ride characteristics and they'll be able to give you detailed information on the change.

Good luck
Old 02-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

Jared, I think FirstToy was commenting on the xreas as in you can actually leave the connecting tubes and the controller attached to your 4runner. The only parts that really needs to be removed are the parts being swapped (front and rear shock/coil assembly).
Ah, I get it now.

My only question though is: what would be the point? If you remove the front and rear shocks from the X-REAS, you are going to have a bloody mess with the X-REAS fluid, so the tubes and controllers will be bone dry. Who knows if you could refill them at a later date and still have a functioning system. Maybe someone has, and I'm just clueless.

Sorry, not trying to argue today or anything, just trying to help out.

You are totally right about getting burned as far as $$ is concerned taking off a sofisticated system like X-REAS. Man, in pained me, but was the better decision in the long run (for me).

*offtopic*
Lance, you going to TDS?
*offtopic*
Old 02-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Jared, from what I know the fluids will not drain when disconnected (maybe a little from when you initially disconnect it) but otherwise the fluid detains itself so you can technically leave the lines there.

The way I look at it, if you're gonna remove it, might as well remove everything

Atleast there's a way to safely remove the system and re-install the system with no issues. (good for xreas owners to know). It can be done as it's been done before!
Old 02-28-2006, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jared
*offtopic*
Lance, you going to TDS?
*offtopic*
[hijack = on]
Nope, I've got a few weeks to finish up the rear bumper w/ tire carrier because I need it for the Death Valley trip. I have one section done but it came out ugly so I'm redoing it (which is a pita). So basically no trips until DV.

Jared you gonna try for DV? c'mon I know you want too
[hijack = off]