03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

'06 4Runner Transfer Case Actuator Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 4Runner Transfer Case Actuator Question

Hey All,

I saw a post about a similar issue in the 3rd Gen Section but some of what was posted there didn't really match what I was seeing so I thought I'd ask here.

Recently I was driving and noticed the 4wd and Center Diff lock lights both flashing on the instrument panel. I pulled over and tried to turn the knob to chech 4wd and it appeard the spring inside the switch was broken and I couldn't get out of 2wd. I took it to the dealership and they said the switch on the dash needed to be replaced, but in addition the actuator in the transfer case was bad and needed to be replaced to the tune of $1800 because it was inside the transfer case and it wasn't under the Drive Train Warantee. Well, I wasn't ready to just shell out the cash so I told them to just put it back together and give it back. As I went to leave the dealership I tried to turn in the driveway and the front tires were binding up bad and they weren't before I brought it in so I knew they had somehow gotten it into 4wd, so I told them I wasn't going to drive it like that and they needed to get it back into 2wd. The tech took it around back and about 15 minutes later it was back and in 2wd.

The whole thing seemed to be a bit strange to me, since from what I understand with this model year the actuator runs electronically and not manually so If the actuator is bad how could they get it to work. Anyhow, I started looking at the warantee book and it said the transfer case and all internal parts are covered up to 60,000 miles. I then called Toyota customer care and they told me that the actuator was only a 3yr/36000 part and it was located on the outside of the transfer case. So if it is outside the transfer case, why does the dealership want to charge me $1800 to remove it to fix it? Is it on top and can only be reached by removing the transfer case? In that case it would be cheaper for me to find a transfer case from a salvage vehicle and just swap them out. Does anyone else have any ideas how to trouble shoot what the real issue is?

My mileage is currently 59,600 so if someone really thinks it falls into a warantee issue I'd love to hear it. Sorry to sound clueless but this is by far the newest car I've owned and am a little overwhelmed by all of the electronics and computer systems. Sometimes i really miss my '72 Ford.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:13 AM

Sounds like you need to find a different dealership. I hope the warranty will cover anything like this, inside or out of the transfer case.

We have put 92k on our 04 4runner with absolutely no such issues ( or much of any issues to be fair), but then again ours is a different motor and transfer case.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:23 PM

any update?

Originally Posted by tommargi
Hey All,

I saw a post about a similar issue in the 3rd Gen Section but some of what was posted there didn't really match what I was seeing so I thought I'd ask here.

Recently I was driving and noticed the 4wd and Center Diff lock lights both flashing on the instrument panel. I pulled over and tried to turn the knob to chech 4wd and it appeard the spring inside the switch was broken and I couldn't get out of 2wd. I took it to the dealership and they said the switch on the dash needed to be replaced, but in addition the actuator in the transfer case was bad and needed to be replaced to the tune of $1800 because it was inside the transfer case and it wasn't under the Drive Train Warantee. Well, I wasn't ready to just shell out the cash so I told them to just put it back together and give it back. As I went to leave the dealership I tried to turn in the driveway and the front tires were binding up bad and they weren't before I brought it in so I knew they had somehow gotten it into 4wd, so I told them I wasn't going to drive it like that and they needed to get it back into 2wd. The tech took it around back and about 15 minutes later it was back and in 2wd.

The whole thing seemed to be a bit strange to me, since from what I understand with this model year the actuator runs electronically and not manually so If the actuator is bad how could they get it to work. Anyhow, I started looking at the warantee book and it said the transfer case and all internal parts are covered up to 60,000 miles. I then called Toyota customer care and they told me that the actuator was only a 3yr/36000 part and it was located on the outside of the transfer case. So if it is outside the transfer case, why does the dealership want to charge me $1800 to remove it to fix it? Is it on top and can only be reached by removing the transfer case? In that case it would be cheaper for me to find a transfer case from a salvage vehicle and just swap them out. Does anyone else have any ideas how to trouble shoot what the real issue is?

My mileage is currently 59,600 so if someone really thinks it falls into a warantee issue I'd love to hear it. Sorry to sound clueless but this is by far the newest car I've owned and am a little overwhelmed by all of the electronics and computer systems. Sometimes i really miss my '72 Ford.
Tom, what was the verdict on this? THX
Old 03-09-2015, 09:02 PM

[QUOTE=ronsta;51655278]Tom, what was the verdict on this? THX[/. Transfer case actuator motor is on outside of case with shafts going into case and connecting to forks. To replace actuator transfer case must be removed then you must split open the transfer case and internally remove it. Very tedious and labor intensive repair.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:39 PM

My 2007 4Runner Sport 4WD (V6 engine, 83,500 miles) has recently refused to go into 4H or 4L: that is to say I turn the switch and the indicator flashes but 4WD never engages. Tried in P, N and D, forward and reverse, wheels straight, etc. Nada.

Can't afford dealer prices; will either repair by myself or go without. Would appreciate suggestion for place to begin investigation as the Factory Manual is a little terse on the subject. Saw a YouTube video on repairing sensor on earlier model 4Runner but not sure if this one is set up the same.

Not the only problem with this truck, either, as exhaust, evap cannister and air conditioning systems also malfunctioning, but that's for another post.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:29 AM

How did any of you make out with your issue? I have a 05 V8 limited. I just bought it 6 months ago. I went to use the diff lock the other day and all it did was flash and it wouldn't turn off. I read a post on here somewhere where, you loosen up the 3 bolts on the actuator a little bit and tap it with a rubber mallet. After about 15 minutes of trying I finally got it to work. Now it engages with a solid light and when i hit the diff button to turn it off, it flashes a few times then goes off. My situation might be different but it sounds like your actuator is froze up too. I hope this can be helpful. Cause I been reading upward to $2500 fix at dealership.