03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

04 vsc trac light with tire press light

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 vsc trac light with tire press light

Folks, I've read many of the threads on the vsc trac and have the vsc trac and vsc off lights on. In addition, I have the tire pressure light blinking. My pressyre is fine except for checking the spare. I think I have a tail lamp out, but not any of the brake lights. Performance wise it seems to run very well...I just bought the truck-04 runner stock this weekend and there was not a manual to go with-this is my third gen, had a 95 and 98-I am not aware of many of the upgrades to this gen...I don't have any other lights on the dash and am not showing any codes with pocket reader. I can't spin the tires and accel is responsive from start and while driving...could this just be due to the tire sensor alone? What is the deal with the tire press sensors are they really necessary and easy to remove...it did get all new tires a month ago but the lights just showed up a few days ago. No ABS issues that I can tell...not even really sure what the vsc trac is meant to do...is the truck constantly in a 30/70 split between the rears and front...is it fine to run with the lights still on as I see many prefer to shut it off (andymod)...thanks for any and all input
Old 04-28-2009, 07:53 AM

I'll try my best to explain. I had a very similar experience.

In regard to the TPS light, Toyota has to calibrate the ECU with the new tires. This is so the sensors know when the tire is low. Each tire make is different, so that is why they have to calibrate it. It's about $90 for them to do this. Also, if you are missing a spare, the light will not stop blinking until you get one. The system will look for 5 sensors to monitor.

There are threads on here and t4r.org that discuss taking out the sensors and eliminating the light on the dash.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:58 AM

thanks caslim, for the info on the TPS....I'll look into it in terms of the spare and ridding myself of the sensors, but it does make sense as the new tires are E rated so obviously the sensors are off on the max inflation. The light doesn't really bother me...it's the trac light that I still haven't solved though I think I am going to the dealer to at least run their scan (52$) to see if they get any codes....one dealer guy looked at it and he said that it seemed to run fine and was very perplexed....one thing I noticed is that the lights only come on after you put it in gear and begin moving fwd/rvs....they then remain lit until truck turned off.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:55 PM

Solved my VSC problem without stealership....was a reclibration of zero point reclibration...was fortunate to find TSB on how to do on my own from T4R site....probably saved me hundreds of bucks and hours of aggravation. Always, thanks to all that help no matter what forum.