Sponsored by: DashLynx

Zuk Mod Question on '92 2WD Pickup;Only have U-Bolts on Top of Springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zuk Mod Question on '92 2WD Pickup;Only have U-Bolts on Top of Springs

Hi all,
1992 Toyota BASE Pickup, 2WD, regular cab, short box

I have searched and researched, on this site and on Google, and I DEFINITELY want to do a ZUK Mod for my saggy rear end, because I'm going to be doing some towing soon, but I have a question I can't seem to get answered. My shocks were changed like 8 years ago, and the leaf springs are almost totally flat. In most of the ZUK Mod thread/videos/pictures, there is the metal U-shaped thing on the underside of the bed (which I have), but I HAVE NOTHING TO MOUNT THE SPRING ONTO IN THE BOTTOM...all I have is a U-Bolt that is attached to the rear axle; there is NO STOP or anything over the u-Bolts, and therefore, nothing to mount the bottom of the spring onto.

I know the links of the guy on EBay who sells the springs, but HOW DO I MOUNT the EBay springs to the leaf-spring pack? ALSO, it's just a 2WD daily driver, so I'm NOT looking for a ton of lift, but I'd like to get the bed close to where it was when it was stock, but a little lift is OK. I have a toolbox that is in the bed, and at least 125 pounds of tools in there ride with me 24/7. What springs would you recommend for just a stock look?

So, Question 1: How do I mount the bottom of the New EBay spring to my axle/spring set? (I assume I'll be reversing the U-Bolt, but then what do I need as a base for the springs?)
Question 2: Which SPECIFIC spring length. inner-diameter, and tension rating (100, 125, etc.) should I get for this modification? I don't mind spending $80-$90 on the new springs (they seem to be going for @ $40 + shipping), but I just want to make sure I get the right ones.

THANKS IN ADVANCE for any help, and ZUK...thanks for this ingenious mod that's saved a TON of people from having to spend $400+ on new leaf springs!

-LeftCoast

Last edited by LeftCoast; 05-20-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:16 AM

Im looking into fixing my sagging 2wd as well. This sounds like a perfect alternative to new leafs but i dont think it'll work. Went out and took a picture of my axle and there definitely isnt an axle bump stop, just a frame one. 2wds are spring under axle and 4wds are spring over axle. To bad
Old 05-21-2017, 11:08 AM

Thanks, Sploogle, for posting that picture; it saved me crawling under my 2WD this morning. Your picture also illustrates, like in my vehicle, that there is NOT a ton of space even before the addition of an axle stop, so the lift might be WAY too high in the rear, unless we cut one 12 or 14 inch spring in half, perhaps, and use 6-7 inches on both sides.

I can't believe there isn't a solution for us, but I suppose air-adjustable shocks will be my next addition before I tow a U-Haul trailer next month.

Any ZUK Mod help for us, Yotatechers?
Old 05-21-2017, 11:26 AM

Well, here's a write-up I just found for 2WD, but it's way more involved (I don't weld or fabricate at all) than I could do.

Does anyone sell the 2WD mounting kits for the ZUK mod?

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f212...-heavy-260309/
Old 05-21-2017, 02:13 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
how about air bags?
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....GxAaAjQn8P8HAQ
Old 05-21-2017, 02:23 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by dropzone
What he said. Ive had them for years and have always been satisfied with them. Firestones, got the at Auto Zone.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:47 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Nice find, LeftCoast. That is Too much lift as shown in the link. Can't use the the coils above the axle....excessive lift..

But I could see how to make the coils work without affecting the rubber mount....or axle. The space between the rubber and axle is too close so why not do what some of the add-a-leafs do and offset it to the backside.
A u-shaped type of mount for the frame. And a similar u-mount for the leafpack.There must be 8 or 9 inches of space there. Too bad I'm here and you're there.

I recommend the shorter 12 inch with 125 pound/inch rating. No coil compressors needed the way I see it.

ZUK

Last edited by ZUK; 05-22-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:54 AM

Anyone ever looked in to having leafs heat treated and re-bent?

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-...ing-suspension

Might not cost that much with only 4 leafs to be adjusted.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:10 AM

Looks lke the 2wd first gen taco has a lot more frame clearance to begin with.

Air bags are almost the same price as just getting new springs

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....oducts_id=8984

Thats a cool idea zuk. You could even double down and put a spring on both sides of the axle for twice as stiff a ride.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:18 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Sploogle
Looks lke the 2wd first gen taco has a lot more frame clearance to begin with.

Air bags are almost the same price as just getting new springs

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....oducts_id=8984

Thats a cool idea zuk. You could even double down and put a spring on both sides of the axle for twice as stiff a ride.
That's true, the price is about the same, but the air bags, in my opinion are easier to install and are adjustable. Very little air gets you the ride height and ride quality you want and you can air them up for towing.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:26 AM

Do you need to have onboard air or do you just set it with a compressor before you leave the house?
Old 05-22-2017, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by ZUK
Nice find, LeftCoast. That is Too much lift as shown in the link. Can't use the the coils above the axle....excessive lift..

But I could see how to make the coils work without affecting the rubber mount....or axle. The space between the rubber and axle is too close so why not do what some of the add-a-leafs do and offset it to the backside.
A u-shaped type of mount for the frame. And a similar u-mount for the leafpack.There must be 8 or 9 inches of space there. Too bad I'm here and you're there.

I recommend the shorter 12 inch with 125 pound/inch rating. No coil compressors needed the way I see it.

ZUK
ZUK, thanks so much for the response. I know what you mean about offsetting it a bit to the rear, so this method would use NONE of the mounts people usually use in your modification.
Could you PLEASE be more specific, as to the hardware I would need to purchase (I've NEVER done a lift or and leaf spring install), and links would be an immense help. I just need to know the two u-bolt mounts for both the frame and the leaf pack, and we're talking two 12-inch/125 pound springs (of course), but how, exactly would I mount the springs into the two u-bolt mounts you're suggesting? And what Inner-diameter spring would you suggest for the springs, as I see that come in both 3 inch and 5 inch inner diameter? And again, please help me to visualize how these springs would mount to the U-mounts you mentioned in your post.

As I said, I'm more a Sunday-type mechanic, and not into all the things your guys are adept at doing on the trails; the closest thing to trails I'll ever come to are just driving a gravel/dirt road, or on level grass!

Again, thanks for the response, ZUK (and everyone in the thread), and if you have the time to look-up some links, and explain how I would mount the springs (and the correct diameter springs), I would be forever grateful, as would Sploogle, I'm sure.

Thanks again, in advance. You have gotta love Yotatech...it's a very friendly, and helpful place!

Last edited by LeftCoast; 05-22-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sploogle
Anyone ever looked in to having leafs heat treated and re-bent?

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-...ing-suspension

Might not cost that much with only 4 leafs to be adjusted.
From what I've read, that's only a temporary fix, as best, and your truck is down all the time the springs are away.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by LeftCoast
From what I've read, that's only a temporary fix, as best, and your truck is down all the time the springs are away.
I have never heard of any used springs being re-heat treated. Just about any ordinary application of heat makes the steel soft, and they're not springs any more.

Used springs are re-arched by bending them cold. I have re-arched more than a few springs, and made up new spring packs at home.

It can be scary dangerous work. You gotta watch out for your teeth, among other things. Stuff can really go flyin if you don't pay attention to what is really going on.

Beats paying hundreds of dollars to a shop though. If properly done, they will last as long as a new spring.

Last edited by millball; 05-22-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:14 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by LeftCoast
ZUK, thanks so much for the response. I know what you mean about offsetting it a bit to the rear, so this method would use NONE of the mounts people usually use in your modification.
Could you PLEASE be more specific, as to the hardware I would need to purchase (I've NEVER done a lift or and leaf spring install), and links would be an immense help. I just need to know the two u-bolt mounts for both the frame and the leaf pack, and we're talking two 12-inch/125 pound springs (of course), but how, exactly would I mount the springs into the two u-bolt mounts you're suggesting? And what Inner-diameter spring would you suggest for the springs, as I see that come in both 3 inch and 5 inch inner diameter? And again, please help me to visualize how these springs would mount to the U-mounts you mentioned in your post.

As I said, I'm more a Sunday-type mechanic, and not into all the things your guys are adept at doing on the trails; the closest thing to trails I'll ever come to are just driving a gravel/dirt road, or on level grass!

Again, thanks for the response, ZUK (and everyone in the thread), and if you have the time to look-up some links, and explain how I would mount the springs (and the correct diameter springs), I would be forever grateful, as would Sploogle, I'm sure.

Thanks again, in advance. You have gotta love Yotatech...it's a very friendly, and helpful place!

Some fabrication may be required.....But you might be able to talk me into making 4 mounts. Bottom mounts can "float" and be u-shaped.......top can be bolted with 2 small 1/4" bolts I figure so you may have to use a 1/4" drill bit on the side of the frame.I need to know the width of the leafpacks.
It's not so much the fancy exotic metals that I won't be using...it's the measuring,cutting, and MIG welding that takes some time.

What is the distance available between leafpack and frame?

the 2.5" I.D. coil springs.....$39 each..... http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RACING-COILOVER-SPRING-2-1-2-ID-X-12-TALL/290014123883?_trksid=p1713.m153.l1262&category=107 061&ih=019&item=290014123883&vxp=mtr

These mounts are only to give you an idea of what I mean by u-shaped.....

Last edited by ZUK; 05-22-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This all seems overly complicated. It is leaf under axle. Why not simply add an extra leaf to the pack. I mean a long quality leaf - not a thick short bar from a cheap add-a-leaf kit. You will get a few inches of lift and the ride won't suffer. Why add a coil spring when you can strengthen the existing leaf pack?
Old 05-25-2017, 08:56 PM

It looks like the decision made its self. New leafs it is!

What other parts such as bushings or bolts should be ordered and replaced besides the leaf packs and socks?
Old 05-26-2017, 07:15 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
You should certainly change your socks atleast once per day.

Don't forget new hardware, the ubolts will likely need cut off.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:22 AM

Sometimes you can stretch it to two days if you turn them inside out
Old 05-26-2017, 08:40 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
spring bushings and u-bolts..u bolts stretch and should not be re used, plus yours look rusted to crap anyway