86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Zuk Mod Installed.......w/o any modifications

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:43 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CyMoN
I bought some after market helper coil springs and I installed them on my 4runner and the ride sucked that was after installing new shocks.

maybe the jeep coils are softer my truck sits nice a level but the ride sucks

when I get it back on the road I am going to buy some add a leafs and cut the coils out for me it was the worst mod I have done.

on a bumpy road I felt I was going to lose control many times after installing them made the truck bounce all over the place.
Yeah, the difference has got to be in the springs. I just never have that issue with the Jeep coils......even going 35mi/hr +/- down country roads.....which is plenty fast in my book for traveling on loose gravel.

In all the time I've had the coils on my 4rnr I've never once had them pop off.....and I've done nothing in the way of retainers. It simply will not happen unless the axle is drooped way beyond the limit of the leaf packs themselves. I say that because to even simply install the coils between the axle and frame the leafs had to be forced with a couple of bottle jacks to open them up enough to even get the coils in there. So, unless you're rock crawling, Mattk, and going to extremes with flexing and all there's nothing to worry about. Well, you are only using the rubber bump stomp as the bottom retainer. That could be a problem. Those do rip off. I would get something metal welded on to the plate the bumpstop is mounted to. I used a 3in piece of 1.5in diam. pipe cut and welded it in place of.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by thook
So, unless you're rock crawling, Mattk, and going to extremes with flexing and all there's nothing to worry about.
On the other hand....
With the coils, neither side will stuff into to it's respective wheelwell enough to allow the opposing side to droop enough for the spring to pop out. I've tried it numerous times....even with weight in the rear = a load of firewood. It may pop and make racket as the coil moves around on the upper bumpstop, but it won't pop out.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:32 PM
BAZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you use a spring comperssor to get them in there or did you just unload the leafs by jacking up the rear end?

I've been thinking about doing this to my truck to fix the uneven sag (rear passenger side sits about an inch lower than the rear driver side) but I have 1.5" lift shackles on so I'm not sure if the jeep wrangler springs would be long enough...
Old 02-05-2008, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I had to use a spring compressor. I used a bottle jack and put it between the frame and the leaf springs and jacked it up as far as I could then compressed the coil springs to fit them in. Took about an hour total time to do it.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 PM

Check your PM's Baz, just sent you one.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:07 PM

there ya go

Old 02-05-2008, 06:15 PM

Nice! What do you think of the ride?

Just a suggestion...
Consider getting something welded in place of the lower bumpstops at some point. Those do rip off when they get aged.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice looks good

Last edited by INFINITY; 02-05-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How would this affect rear flex?
Old 02-05-2008, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by nix4x4
How would this affect rear flex?
Easier to copy/paste than type....

Originally Posted by thook
I would not, however, say this for someone who wanted lots of flex for rock crawling and such. The coils will limit the up and down travel. On the other hand, Zuk does have Toyota truck he's added a single coil to (mounted from the differential to a crossmember under the bed) and appears to still have plenty of flex from the pics I've seen. The difference is probably due to the single coil being smack in the middle and not either end of the axle.
Here's a thread of an example. Keep in mind his set up was actually a bit different.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...r-flex-128367/

On the other hand, Zuk could give you some ideas, if you really wanted to try and make it work. Other folks who have done the mod have worked with it in various ways. Not sure how successful they were, but explore it as an option....maybe. There's even threads about it somewhere on this forum complete with links to other sites. That's how I researched it. I just never went any further than a basic utilitarian set up because I've no need for a lot of flex.

Happy searching.

Last edited by thook; 02-05-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:36 AM

I love the ride. Still rides like a truck but much smoother than before. Before it was a spine breaking ride.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:09 PM

about how much higher are you than before Im interested in trying this
Old 04-10-2008, 11:22 AM

About 3 inches. It brings it up a little higher than stock.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:33 AM
Contributing Member

Looks good mattk! Did you have to cut some off the top off the spring to fit over the bumpstop? (my coils are in UPS land headed my way)
Old 01-07-2009, 08:29 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Old thread alert !!!!!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by scuba
Old thread alert !!!!!

Old scary thread at that! seriously this has to be one of the stupidest things I've seen on here lol this is not a smart idea at all! If that spring were to come loose and shoot out it could cause some serious damage...please don't do this. This is just as bad as making a body lift out of hockey pucks.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:48 PM

Read other posts on this 89silver!!!!! Those springs will not come off. You dont know what you are talking about. Dont knock it if you dont know anything about it!!!!! Yes DC Woods I did have to cut off a little bit to fit over the bump stop and it works great. Gives the truck a whole new feel and ride. You will be glad you did it. Let me know how it comes out.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:08 PM

This just doesn't seem safe.

What happens at full droop? Will the springs pop out? I would hope not, for the safety of you, and more importantly, other motorists.

Replace the leaf springs. Do it the right way man!
Old 01-07-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The worst thing that could happen is the truck would go back to stock height. Is that really so unsafe?

Besides, at highway speeds it's not going to come out unless the truck goes airborne and then you're going to have worse things to worry about. If it falls out while crawling you're still not going to hurt anything, and the spring will just hit the ground.

The mod is perfectly safe and has been done by hundreds of different people on this and other forums, and not one single person that I've seen has ever come back and said they had one come out.

You people need to worry less and wheel more...
Old 01-07-2009, 05:27 PM

Have you ever witnessed the damage that a compressed coil spring can do when, under load, it is suddenly released?

They have enough force to make a nice nesting spot into a cement wall.

Tool manufacturers put a cage around a coil spring compressor for a reason.

I'm not arguing for the sake of it, just trying to warn people the dangers of a compressed coil spring!

Quick Reply: Zuk Mod Installed.......w/o any modifications