86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Worth SAS w/ out lockers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worth SAS w/ out lockers?

I have an 88 4runnner and would love a SAS in the front. I don't like my IFS. But, if I did a SAS I wouldn't have money for lockers. I can get some
33's cheap and find some 4.88 3rds in a yard somewhere. I can get a front axle too.

I also thought about getting a Detroit rear and just wheelin' the IFS for now. Save and do the SAS correct with locker's, 5.29's, 35 Crawlers or 35 BFG MT's. I would go the Trail-Gear IFS elimetor kit 4" kit.

I could make it further with a locked rear than open/open right? But the lift is just so BADA$$.

I'm am getting sliders and making a rear bumper. Are the detroits any good? I didn't think i needed one that bad until I went wheelin' the other day down Yellow Creek. I couldn't crawl up a little rock in the trail. maybe a foot high? (maybe). I made it up I just hit it a little harder, but a rear locker is cheaper and make it a better trail rig than SAS correct.

What do you all think I should do?

Last edited by Adawg_08; 06-16-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Your post may end up opening another can of worms...

But sounds to me like a locker at this point would be your best bet. SAS will not get you as far as a fully locked rig. IFS will probably take you more places than you can imagine... maybe just work on your lines a bit with your current open/ open situation. A lot of wheeling successfully is just understanding what your vehicle is capable of and picking the lines that will work.

I think you'll find that most IFS users like to stay at 33" or under to help prevent wear and tear on the factory front end.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

weld the rear. sas the front. done.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:21 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Picking up can opener...opening can...Dude, SAS, then lock the rear. IN THAT ORDER. I've seen rigs with solid axles and no lockers, do better (on occasion) than solid axle or IFS rigs with lockers fr/rr. Not to mention how muck I think IFS sucks the big one, and have never been impressed by mine or anyone elses I've witnessed. I have to make do, for now, and may settle for a rear locker first myself, due to budget constraints. If trail ability is the goal, the answer is way too obvious SAS, lock what you need to after that. The things you have to MAKE your IFS do(IF you can), a solid axle w/leaf spring front suspension will do easily.

Last edited by MudHippy; 06-16-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i SASed first and i am still stock 4.56gears and open/open... it would have been nice to regear and lock at the sametime but i was short on money. gears and lockers come soon though hopefully... i say SAS first.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I sased and locked the rear ARB. I wish I had saved for a HP ARB for up front and either spooled or detroited the rear. Choices Choises. Plan on your goals for your truck and save money and do it right to how you would untimatly like to see it. If you plan on extreme mods I would save and build parts and just wheel what you have now. You can go alot on IFS and if you need to ask whether to SAS or not, Now is probably not the time. SAVE and do it right and do it all yourself thats the best way for sure
Old 06-17-2007, 06:15 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Invest in a rear locker now and wheel your IFS until you can afford to do the SAS.

Locked in the rear IFS will outdo an open 4WD SAS anyday on most obstacles, but there are lots of other variables like gearing, tire size, etc.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:22 AM

idea, u buy me a front axle kit, and buy urself the rear locker, and i'll use the sfa to convert to 4wd, and then we'll compare.

doesnt that sound like a great plan?
Old 06-17-2007, 11:39 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lockers will take you farther than ANY suspension/lift mod. Also, I don't see any reason to SAS if you're "only" going to run 33's.

Lock it now, get A LOT more experience 'wheeling, save up and SAS when the IFS is truly the limitation.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by dijlop
idea, u buy me a front axle kit, and buy urself the rear locker, and i'll use the sfa to convert to 4wd, and then we'll compare.

doesnt that sound like a great plan?
Irish Traveller? Yeh, we saw the movie...
Old 06-17-2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by EUROJulian
Irish Traveller? Yeh, we saw the movie...
umm... i havent ever seen the movie. i was just tryin to get free stuff. oh well.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tc
Lockers will take you farther than ANY suspension/lift mod. Also, I don't see any reason to SAS if you're "only" going to run 33's.

Lock it now, get A LOT more experience 'wheeling, save up and SAS when the IFS is truly the limitation.

I ran 32"s, a rear locker, and dual cases for about 3 years before I "needed" a SAS. I regularly wheeled with guys with SFA rigs on 35"s with a locker or two. I just had to learn how to drive better and pick my lines.

Lock the rear, learn to drive, and you will know when you need a SAS.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

get a locker and save for the SAS. That way you can build it all at once instead of partially completing your goals.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:59 PM

or trade me and dont ever worry about what the next step in the 4wd world should be. lol. (yes im persistent.)
Old 06-17-2007, 01:43 PM

or trade me and dont ever worry about what the next step in the 4wd world should be. lol. (yes im persistent.)

Yep, go watch TV or sompthin`... Movie series is The Riches on FX.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

If all your gonna do is try and get him to give you free stuff, you might as well hold your tongue and not post in this thread

I vote for rear locker and wait on the SAS. I've wheeled my 3rd gen (i know they;re different) open/open for 2 years, and am just now needing to add a rear elocker because i pushed what i had to its limits, now time to push the limits out a little bit further
Old 06-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No lift, stock IFS, and two lockers will get up up stuff like this. Sas w/out lockers will not.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:28 PM

Well, I talked to some people to day and am getting a front axle.
I will wait for the sas but I will have the axle. Start rebuilding this one, 5.29's, detroit, new bearings, seals, whatever needs done. I really want a locker in the rear.

I'll beat the IFS until it's seen some bettter days.

I was only going to run 33's because I could get them cheap and it's my daily driver. But 35's are what I'll run.

I turned in an app. at Mikey D's. I am saving for a Detroit rear. You have to set Ring & Pinion gap after, correct? I could get some 5.29 on 31's? (bad idea?) Or 4.88's? It would be nice to get a little lower gears. You know...
Old 06-17-2007, 08:10 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good decision.

If you are planning on 35's, you need 5.29 for manual transmission or 5.71 for automatic. Do gears at the same time as lockers, otherwise you're paying for installation twice.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:35 AM

What are stock brakes on 35's like? I actually read SAS instructions and it's not that hard at all. I REALLY WANT A SAS. But, it's very expansive.

Quick Reply: Worth SAS w/ out lockers?