86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Worth the buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worth the buy?

There is a '93 short wheel base 4cyl 5 speed for sale near me. It is in really good shape. The interior looks new and the outside has recently been painted. Owner (who is the 2nd owner) says it has had a new clutch, water pump, radiator, and master cylinder recently. It is really tight and drives good. The only concerning thing is 295k miles.

A mechanic friend of mine who is familiar with the trucks said if it has never had a timing chain then it is time. The owner seemed to imply that the motor had never been into. He did claim the oil had been changed every 3k (like they all do). I have no reason not to believe him though.

He is asking $3k. I'm just curious if that is a good number and if I should be afraid of the miles and maybe lack of ever having a timing chain and guides put in.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:40 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Really only you can decide .

How bad do you need a 4X4 5 Speed 22Re engine truck

Are you going to be happy with the performance of the little over 100 Horse Power engine.

I myself have no need of anymore vehicles so I think the price is on the high side.

It comes down to if this one fills your needs .

Knowing it can turn into a money pit with that kind of mileage.

Every Toyota 4x4 I found most often took a $1000.00 or more in parts to catch up the neglected maintenance

Almost 300,000 miles and no timing chain Possible but for sure about due

What is the suspenion and steering parts like??

Are you able to do all the wrenching yourself or get it done with help paying labor at normal rates gets expensive

This has to be a Truck that never saw Winter ??
Old 12-11-2016, 02:45 PM

Where did the 4x4 come from? Sorry I did not clarify. It is just a standard 2 wheel drive truck.

I currently have one that I have borrowed from a family.member. It is essentially the same exact truck, so I am very experienced with it.

​​​​​
I can do any of the wrenching myself. The only thing I really don't mess with is automatic transmissions. That if course, does not apply here.

This will be a commuter. That is the only reason I want it. I drive 50 miles round trip to work right now, and the one I'm driving gets about 29 mpg. I don't see any reason why the one I am looking at (which is the same) would be much different.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The 2WD 4cyl is a great truck for somebody who needs a truck to commute. They do get good mileage and are very reliable, my uncle has a 1990 with 22r and 560 000km, he still gets 29mpg back and forth to work.

Where are you located? That's expensive for out here but they're all rusty here. Out in BC where I bought mine that's standard price for a good 4x4 Yota from the early 90s.
At the end of the day it probably won't be the most practical commuter vehicle, likely lacks AC and cruise, and it will require frequent maintenance and attention especially when you first buy it. I'd still buy the thing over any domestic pickup in the same price range.

Originally Posted by Theirons84
Where did the 4x4 come from? Sorry I did not clarify. It is just a standard 2 wheel drive truck.

I currently have one that I have borrowed from a family.member. It is essentially the same exact truck, so I am very experienced with it.

​​​​​
I can do any of the wrenching myself. The only thing I really don't mess with is automatic transmissions. That if course, does not apply here.

This will be a commuter. That is the only reason I want it. I drive 50 miles round trip to work right now, and the one I'm driving gets about 29 mpg. I don't see any reason why the one I am looking at (which is the same) would be much different.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:11 PM

In Alabama. It has AC and it works. Forgot to mention it had a new co.pressor and a few other new AC parts too. New belts.

It has had some work done for sure, I just don't think the motor has ever been into. I think he may be trying to get the money he has put into it back out of it. I don't know.

The book value is $2k. Hard for me to pay over that.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:54 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Ignore "book value." Well, use it as an approximate guide.

Truck prices are VERY regional. I recommend looking in Craigslist (or whatever is most popular in your area) to find what other folks are asking.

In the end, mileage doesn't really matter in the $2-$3k range. It will either last another 100,000 miles or 30 miles or somewhere in between. But trucks don't usually fail catastrophically, and it SOUNDS like the prior owner was trying to keep up with things as they broke.

Or, he thinks this is the most unreliable vehicle he has ever owned and just wants it out of his sight. Your call.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Book value does not mean anything to me. A really good deal on a truck and then having to catch up on repairs or maintenance can blow out the deal. I have been into too many of these trucks and seen what even some thought was in great shape needed a lot of attention. Really going to be up to you. You have some experience with one before so you have an idea of what you are getting into. Eventually I want back into a 22re 2WD just for the mileage that they get which can be high 20's miles to the gallon and easier to work on then a 4x4.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:45 AM

Gonna be a hard call. My wife thinks I'm nuts for even considering spending $3k on a '93 model vehicle. I was hoping that I could use the book value to help negotiate. At this point, if I could get it for $2k I would probably do it.

I have not talked to the owner again, but I suspect he has never done a timing chain. If not, what kind of costs and job am I looking at? I can do that myself, but from what I recall with messing with the borrowed one I have right now, all of the stuff has to come off the front of the engine to get to it. Seems like I remember it being a pretty involved job.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:46 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by Theirons84
... I have not talked to the owner again, but I suspect he has never done a timing chain. If not, what kind of costs and job am I looking at? I can do that myself, but from what I recall with messing with the borrowed one I have right now, all of the stuff has to come off the front of the engine to get to it. Seems like I remember it being a pretty involved job.
http://web.archive.org/web/201210231.../8timingch.pdf

The timing chain is not a "maintenance item," but you would be wise to at least inspect it (and once you're that far, the chain is less than $20 at RockAuto). The hard part will be the crank bolt; 116 ftlbs, and how will keep the crank from turning? (hint: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...h-3vze-137934/)

Last, but not least, in all relationships you only get so many times to do something your wife considers to be "nuts." Use this time wisely.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:44 AM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
If you follow the sequence given in the FSM link that scope provided, the oil pan comes off before the crank pulley is removed, and the pulley gets replaced before the pan is reinstalled.

This obviates the need for any crank pulley holding tools.

All that is needed is a piece of wood placed between a crank throw and the bottom edge of the block. I have used a hammer handle to good end.

Viola, the crank can't turn.

Last edited by millball; 12-12-2016 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude 3000 can get you a sweet 95-2000 TACO with the insurmountable powerhouse that is 2RZ. A/C, cruise, 30mpg, and a timing chain that just never seems to mess up! I know they mess up though. Everything does. Problem is I never hear about Tacoma's chains needing replacing. It's always some $109 o2 sensor.

I'm in Alabama too and find good, solid, Toyota's for sale all the time. PM me if you'd like. I am no master mechanic, but I'll be damned if I can't find a deal. At least for other people that is. When I buy things for myself it never works out like that.