Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

wire speedo cable after 5spd swap??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question wire speedo cable after 5spd swap??

Ok, so I finished my 5spd swap. (bye bye auto, i'll miss you....NOT) I have to say my truck woke up. I can actually travel with the speed of traffic. The problem is, I don't know what speed that is. My 91 runner has the good old cable for the speedo. The new tranny (from a 93) has the electronic speedo. I was originally hoping that the original speedo cable gear would fit...nope, not even close.

SO I know I need to get a new inst cluster, BUT is it plug and play with most of it and wire in the elect speedo?

Where do I wire the speedo in at?
Old 03-11-2009, 10:14 PM

anyone?
Old 03-11-2009, 10:40 PM

Call Marlin crawler?

I would think you just need a cable style VSS from the same model manual trans...... not sure though.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:49 AM

I just swapped a '93 manual trans/case into my '89 4Runner. The speed sensor does transfer (at least it did for me). How is it not even close? There's a 12mm bolt right next to the sensor, pull that and pull/twist the sensor out of the tcase. The electronic one I had to grab the shoulder with a pair of channel locks to get it twisted out, and on the cable one that bolt held a plate that held the sensor in place. Go look again. I can take photos sometime soon if you need to see what I'm talking about.

Eric
Old 03-12-2009, 10:18 AM

speed sensor

I just did a 5 speed swap in my 1994 4 runner. I used all the manual stuff from a 1991 4 runner. I had to use a speed sensor from a newer electronic one but the manual and automatics are different sizes. I think I still have the cable driven gear, if you want it I will check. You can have it for $5 plus the shipping if your interested.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by bjslade0269
I think I still have the cable driven gear, if you want it I will check. You can have it for $5 plus the shipping if your interested.
I am P.M. sent

Originally Posted by eric1115
I just swapped a '93 manual trans/case into my '89 4Runner. The speed sensor does transfer (at least it did for me). How is it not even close?
Eric
the mounting hole into the 5spd is nearly twice as big as the A/T vss, as well as the nylon drive gear being 2x as big as the a/t's, and it mounts deeper than the a/t's as well.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:41 PM

im doin the same thing right now switchin a tranny but ones mechanical and the others electric its wicked easy to covert there should be a 12mm bolt you undo right next to the mechanical speedo place and you should be able to convert it cause thats what im doin 93 tranny to a 91
Old 03-15-2009, 08:20 PM

Yeah I found the part i need thanks
Old 11-14-2019, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by dr-dirt
Ok, so I finished my 5spd swap. (bye bye auto, i'll miss you....NOT) I have to say my truck woke up. I can actually travel with the speed of traffic. The problem is, I don't know what speed that is. My 91 runner has the good old cable for the speedo. The new tranny (from a 93) has the electronic speedo. I was originally hoping that the original speedo cable gear would fit...nope, not even close.

SO I know I need to get a new inst cluster, BUT is it plug and play with most of it and wire in the elect speedo?

Where do I wire the speedo in at?
Hey guys! Sorry to revive an old thread but I have this same problem with my 1990 2wd Toyota pickup. Swapped from A/T(mechanical VSS) to 5speed(electronic). The electronic VSS in my 5speed is larger in diameter than the mechanical one off of my old A/T. I read on another thread that v6 or 4x4 pickups and 4runners have the same(larger) diameter mechanical VSS that I need for my 5speed. Can anyone confirm if they are indeed interchangeable? And from what models?
Old 10-06-2020, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dr-dirt
Yeah I found the part i need thanks
where did you find the part to convert the 5 speed speedo into Cable ? I tried matching up the auto to manual and they for sure aren’t going to work. Is there a place to get a cable vss with gear to match up with the 5 speed ?
Old 10-06-2020, 07:55 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
From what little I know, switching to a cable will be tough. Theres the physical part thats different on the output shaft (altho I believe if one pulls that out its still a gear driven unit that turns the cable). Then there's the special plate on firewall floor that cable threads thru. Then theres the back of the combo meter - at least on the 95 v 94 combo meter. THe cable has some sort of adaption going on there. The electric with the pulsed signal just feeds into their respective combo meters.

Also, never gave it much thought but gear teeth counts almost have to be different depending on tire size and factory installed gears.

Hopefully smart folks will chime in here.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:16 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by coopster
From what little I know, switching to a cable will be tough. Theres the physical part thats different on the output shaft (altho I believe if one pulls that out its still a gear driven unit that turns the cable). Then there's the special plate on firewall floor that cable threads thru. Then theres the back of the combo meter - at least on the 95 v 94 combo meter. THe cable has some sort of adaption going on there. The electric with the pulsed signal just feeds into their respective combo meters.

Also, never gave it much thought but gear teeth counts almost have to be different depending on tire size and factory installed gears.

Hopefully smart folks will chime in here.
Yes you have to pull the tail shaft and replace the internal gear, and also source the cable and firewall pass thru, and then you need a cable drive dash cluster.

If you're trying to do this to save $$ you're probably best off to just get a new vss and rewire it.