Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

windshield rust repair begins

Old 08-06-2009, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
windshield rust repair begins

I've been wanting to repair the rust around my windshield for a couple of years now but knew it was gonna be a bit involved. Until recently my 4runner was my daily driver so it had to wait. I thought I would kind of document the process in case anyone else needs to do it.

Here is an example of what it looked like before the window was removed but without the trim.

And after we got the window out but before I had really started scraping too much.

My basic plan which is open to change if anyone has better ideas is:

Use a wire brush, 3M rotary tool, and CLR to stop the rust, once all of the rust is dealt with, weld in patches for any holes, treat with etching primer which is specifically designed keep the rust away and for urethane adhesion to treat the entire lip and then have a new windshield installed with a universal rubber trim ring instead of the rust monster Toyota originally equipped it with.

Let me know what you think of my plan. I'll post some more pictures as I work on it this weekend.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:03 PM

I know this is and old thread, but were there any updates? I'm basically in the same situation myself and looking to see what others did.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Read this thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f209...runner-236526/
Old 08-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

I used the area I cut out as a template for the bends, and welded it in. I got my sheet metal from the trash bin behind the Toyota body shop.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:13 PM

Real life has gotten in the way of my web wheeling. I did finish the repairs but never got around to posting pictures. I'll try to find them and post them.

The short story is I welded up the bigger holes, and then the smaller pin holes I used steel re-enforced JB Weld. Then sanded it all down well and used good etching primer on it. Then I had the window installer use a universal seal on it instead of the toyota one. So far it seems to be doing great.

-Ron
Old 08-05-2011, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the replies and link!

Originally Posted by netgodsrdn2
Real life has gotten in the way of my web wheeling. I did finish the repairs but never got around to posting pictures. I'll try to find them and post them.

The short story is I welded up the bigger holes, and then the smaller pin holes I used steel re-enforced JB Weld. Then sanded it all down well and used good etching primer on it. Then I had the window installer use a universal seal on it instead of the toyota one. So far it seems to be doing great.

-Ron
No worries, I wasn't sure if you ever got it done or not. If you have time to post some pics it would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-06-2011, 04:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I repaired the rust on mine, I left the trim off and filled the gap with black urethane roofing calk. It looks like trim and there's no chance of water getting in and rusting it again.