86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wind whistle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wind whistle?

My 1995 4runner just started whistling at roughly 45 miles per hour. It is worse when there is a cross wind. If you open the sun roof it seems way louder. I can't find any obvious holes that would be creating the sound and haven't changed/added anything lately. Any ideas of what to check?
Old 01-16-2008, 05:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
try using masking tape on obvious stuff,( wiper blades, antennae, corners, ) and one by one, removing it till you find your sound.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

You might have a leak around the door seals... check them for any obvious cracks/tears... I'm noticing a bit of wind noise around my doors since my mechanic found that the outer [frame mounted] door seals were missing [not there when I bought it] and replaced them as a favour...
Old 01-16-2008, 06:24 AM

humm, outer door seals, would a first gen 4runner, 87 to be exact have those, i know the ones on the actual door are in desperate need of replacement, but should be looking for ones to mount to the cab too? also any body know of any quick fixes for leaky door seals I'm just leaking air around them, not any water that i notice.

Sorry about the hijack!!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

No the 84-88s only had the one seal on the body as I recall. The 89-95 had a seal on the door and an additional "outer seal" on the upper frame from the bottom of the A-pillar to the end of the "gutter" at the back of the door frame. The seal was secured to the gutter ridge.

Edit: scratch that above I remember now the window frame surround seal was secured to the body, in essence the door seal was in two parts the upper part on the body and the lower part on the door.

as for leaky seals like you have you might try this...
Get some black weather stripping foam tape from Lowe's/Home Depot/or where ever...
I'd start with a thinner one first maybe 1/8" (closed cell would probably be best for this application though it costs a bit more).
Put some chalk powder on the rubber seal and close the door, when you open it again you should have some transfer to the door that you can use for a reference line. Centre the foam tape on the reference line and as you rub off the chalk secure the wx strip along the centre of the line.
Be careful not to cover any operating parts like the latch and as you come up the window surround you'd probably want to stay to the inner edge for appearances.
This ought to solve your problem. If the foam stripping is going to be too aggresive for you you can also try to get the grey "fuzzy" stripping which may be slightly thinner...
Hope this helped
Aviator

Last edited by aviator; 01-16-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:49 AM

I've noticed that when I'm driving down the freeway and there's a cross-wind moving right to left I will sometimes get a nice whistling noise. It doesn't happen often enough for me to really investigate though.