Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

winch on a brush guard?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
winch on a brush guard?

is it possible to mount a winch on a brush guard, or is it necessary to have a new bumper for that purpose

i have a waag brush guard with piaas on it, and was curious if this is even possible, for a lighter duty winch etc.

thanks
Old 05-29-2006, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your Waag won't even begin to stand up to even the least powerful winch you would ever consider using. That is, even if you could rig up a way to mount it.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
just have a receiver hitch weled to the frame and get a multi mount for the winch you will be much happier
Old 05-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

In the long run, brush guards are really only for protection against tall grass and the occasional shopping cart. You have to go with another another system if you want a winch or your usage is more extreme.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:23 PM

I have a winch mounted to my brushgaurd. It works great, especially for the price I got it for(FREE). I will say it is a Warn winch/brushguard combo. My wife's uncle had it on his Toyota EX cab and blew up the motor. He took it off and it sat in his shop for almost 2 years collecting dust and rust. I come across hand me downs alot!
Old 05-29-2006, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

warn winch and brush guard

how did you mount the winch to your brush
can you send pics
thnx
hope I get free winch too...I will keep hoping...yeah right!@
Old 05-29-2006, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

watrd

dude i like your latin signature!!!
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

I was trying to figure that out cuz I thought I could do latin, and I got as far as 'in old times...and then...similes is like similar...
necem is born...

and here I am thinking you are teaching ancient wizdom...
and I checked google...
and then it was a joke!! I was laughing, thankzx
latin is cool
Old 05-29-2006, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

You guys are not talking about the same thing. The Warn mount is not a brush guard in the same sense that the Waag is. The Warn is more of a winch mount system that looks somewhat like a brush guard. The Waag is simply a way to mount some lights.

Apples and oranges.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:58 PM

Yeah, I know that is why I said it was a Warn winch/Brushguard combo! Just do like some of the dummies here do! Weld you a winch mounting plate to the brushguard and then run some straps anchored to the frame at different points!
Old 05-29-2006, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

weld winch mount to waag

what kind of winch mount could I weld to the waag, do you have a thread I can search on that

yeah I hear you the waag is not as good as an ARB Bullbar but if I can make it work why not
Old 05-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by trx125
Just do like some of the dummies here do! Weld you a winch mounting plate to the brushguard and then run some straps anchored to the frame at different points!
Yikes! Perhaps the "Safety" thread will dissuade someone from doing that...
Old 05-29-2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by taikowaza
what kind of winch mount could I weld to the waag, do you have a thread I can search on that

yeah I hear you the waag is not as good as an ARB Bullbar but if I can make it work why not
Be sure to post pics of the damage you do to your rig.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by taikowaza

Good grief Dude! The Waag is not a suitable platform for mounting a winch. It's a street accessory. You are either going to end up with something so ugly or so unsafe, there was no point to it. If you must have a winch, first, understand some safety rules for it, then you will understand why what you are talking about is not wise. Then, get something that is designed to take the stresses of winching and is made out of something more substantial than tin-foil.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

not possible to mount a winch to the brushguard. just not strong enough. what you could do is get some mounting plates & reinforcement brackets fabbed up to the end of the frame rails. mount the winch, then cut up your oem bumper (yes cut it) in the necessary areas to clear the winch/winchmount. and THEN you can see if your waag will still work in its original mounting locations. afaik, the mounts for these things usually use 2 bolts per side under the frame rails. not exactly strong enough to pull 4000+LB of toyota truck.

...or you can just get an arb, tjm, all pro, or custom bumper that accepts a winch. i think the warn's tr4nsformer winch mounts brushguards are just as expensive as the ones listed above. they also make winch bumpers, but for older trucks only i believe
Old 05-29-2006, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

OK OK OK like the little guy in lethal weapon... WHY do you put winch in the front if you're stuck and you pull forward then you gotta pull back to get back. Why not put winch in back Then when you're stuck pull back and try again or come up with new plan of attack? I'm asking as a newguy 2 wheeling besides mopunting would be easier and less likely to damage winch, plus pulling someone else out would be easy
Old 05-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by crackerjack
OK OK OK like the little guy in lethal weapon... WHY do you put winch in the front if you're stuck and you pull forward then you gotta pull back to get back. Why not put winch in back Then when you're stuck pull back and try again or come up with new plan of attack? I'm asking as a newguy 2 wheeling besides mopunting would be easier and less likely to damage winch, plus pulling someone else out would be easy
Some people do just that. Other's center mount so they can pull easily in either direction. Still other's have front AND rear winches and others still have a cradle mounted winch that can be pulled and moved from front to rear when needed... It's all about what works for you.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you really want to keep that brush guard get a TJM T-17 and weld the brushguard to the winch bumper. Like this:http://community.webshots.com/photo/...42310107rVHJHT
Old 05-30-2006, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

WATRD I'm assuming when you say center mount you mean underside, front and back is for the trust fund wheelers with plenty of cash or dad's credit card. The thought of a winch mounted in a portable carry frame and then have hooks on both ends is a cool idea I'll start drawing up a punch list now thx
Old 05-30-2006, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by crackerjack
WATRD I'm assuming when you say center mount you mean underside
Well, sort of. In most cases, when the winch is to be center mounted, it is on a custom built rig, so it is designed from scratch to accomodate the winch. But, I have seen some cool conversions, including a Rover where the winch was on the passenger compartment floor and the cable could be pulled forward or backward through access hatches. It looked like it would work well.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

mt goat that picture is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
he welded his brush guard to a solid bumper????????
that is sick! HOw did he do that?
and, I love that skidplate!!! who made it? is it budbuilt??
I love that.........
talk to me more about how I could get that done....
dude am I ever going to stop spending......

WOW!!!!!
I can see he has OME shocks in there too if I am not mistaken...whose truck is that???
get me in touch with him if you can!!!

I found the TJM page...is this the correct part number for 2nd gen?

Bumper Channel T17 Steel S1786E No 9

now...how the *^&*( did he join his brush guard and his bumper??
they did a great job too.

Last edited by taikowaza; 05-30-2006 at 08:59 AM.

Quick Reply: winch on a brush guard?