86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wilderness rack installed, 1st gen 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 01:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wilderness rack installed, 1st gen 4runner

Well I finally got the rack installed. The hardest part was drilling the first hole in the fiberglass top. After that it went pretty smooth. I'll post up some pictures after I get the hi-lift, shovel, and axe mounts put on and filled. I might be putting the spare up there also and with the water can and fuel can mounts up there it's going to be a little full.

Pictures to come later.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:01 PM

No pictures no replies huh? Well here you go. I'll get some more tomorrow after it's all done.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:04 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
So, first hole hard to drill as in getting it lined up, or hard to drill bc there is no going back once the fiberglass is tatered?

Looks good.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
So, first hole hard to drill as in getting it lined up, or hard to drill bc there is no going back once the fiberglass is tatered?

Looks good.
Because there was no going back after the first hole. I was a little nervous about it.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do want.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice! Did you build it or buy it? And how bout some close-up pics of how its mounted when you get a chance... I'm going to be doing a custom track install on mine sometime soon and extra ideas/tips never hurt!
Old 10-10-2009, 04:22 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Thats what I figured. I was geeking out before I drilled in to put on the wind deflector. It's been a year and still no leaks. AND I live in WASHINGTON, so I assume yours will be solid.

Did you mess with the IACV yet? I was oh so careful when I pulled mine, turns out it was in better shape then the junkyard model, so I just adjusted it and called her a day.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:45 PM

You know we're all dying out here some the detailed specs please. Build or buy? That is exactly what we are thinking of doing with our Jipo. dimensions? weight? capacity? Thanks much man.

Last edited by Jipopotamo; 10-10-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:19 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
NICE!!
Looks really good! I like that style of rack!
Old 10-10-2009, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrdr852
Nice! Did you build it or buy it? And how bout some close-up pics of how its mounted when you get a chance... I'm going to be doing a custom track install on mine sometime soon and extra ideas/tips never hurt!
Originally Posted by Jipopotamo
You know we're all dying out here some the detailed specs please. Build or buy? That is exactly what we are thinking of doing with our Jipo. dimensions? weight? capacity? Thanks much man.
I bought this one off of Craigslist here locally. 400$ and it came with all the factory instructions and hardware. It even came with a hi-lift mount, shovel and axe mount, all the rails and runners and two mounts for Jerry cans. I did some looking and a 48"x60" carrier like that with all the extra stuff costs over 1000$ before shipping. I can't complain.

I'll post up pictures tomorrow of the mounting and such so you guys can get some ideas.

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
Thats what I figured. I was geeking out before I drilled in to put on the wind deflector. It's been a year and still no leaks. AND I live in WASHINGTON, so I assume yours will be solid.

Did you mess with the IACV yet? I was oh so careful when I pulled mine, turns out it was in better shape then the junkyard model, so I just adjusted it and called her a day.
I also plan on doing a wind deflector but I can't seem to find one in the junkyard. I did NOT mess with the IACV since I'm unsure which way to turn the adjuster and don't want to mess something up. I did buy one out of a wrecked 89 4runner and pulled it apart but it didn't help clear things up since I was unable to adjust anything inside..... still confused.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Looks good man! Load that sucker up and shoot some pics!! Sorry, I would have responded earlier but I was out...LOL!! Ah, no not in the rig though...

Honestly, though, I would ditch the light bar and mount the lights on the front of the rack(since the rack isn't going anywhere for while). I'd also try to mount them closer to the cab.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:22 AM

I'm considering moving the lights but haven't made a decision yet.

More pictures.

Mounting rails.

Mounts that hold the basket to the rails.

Shovel mounts.

Hi-lift mounts. The rear bracket has a hole for a pad lock so I'll be buying one soon.

I can't run the Jerry cans yet since I wouldn't be able to back under the car port thing. They are easy to mount though so I can just throw them on before a trip. No all I need to do is figure out a good way to get the spare tire mounted up there and we're done.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:45 AM

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts
You should look into a military E-Tool to replace that shovel. They're usually about 10-20$ at surplus stores. Will cut down on some wind resistance and also look pretty sharp imo.

Looks nice, Buddy. Been waiting on these pictures. I am still too terrified to drill holes in my top.

Alex
Old 10-11-2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by A.Wilson013
You should look into a military E-Tool to replace that shovel. They're usually about 10-20$ at surplus stores. Will cut down on some wind resistance and also look pretty sharp imo.

Looks nice, Buddy. Been waiting on these pictures. I am still too terrified to drill holes in my top.

Alex
I do have an e-tool that goes into my 3 pocket ruck when I go for a walk. It does ok as long as I don't need any leverage. When I stick my rig I usually need leverage so I'll stick with the fulll sized shovel for now (that and I have the mounts so I might as well use them ).

Drilling those holes scared the crap out of me. The set-nuts that I installed in the holes had a thin coating of some black goop on them to help seal. I went the additional step and used Locktite Extreme Seal and Adhesive, put a thick bead between the set-nuts and the top and then locked them down. There is also a thick and sticky foam gasket under the rails. So far we haven't had any rain so I don't know how well or how badly it sealed.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drilling that first hole would scare me too. I am still looking at alternatives for mine.

Looks good.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
i guess ill be the first...

Dayum thats a nice rack..
Old 10-11-2009, 02:18 PM

are you sporting "The Club" ?
Old 10-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Looks great man, nice accessory!
Old 10-11-2009, 05:09 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Yea , looks good man , I made myself one similar to yours and wish I could have bent the corners so they are rounded like yours .
I also made some mounts for my hi lift and need to make some for the shovel , right now the shovel is just held on with some velcro straps.

Good find though..
Old 10-11-2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
i guess ill be the first...

Dayum thats a nice rack..
I really thought I'd have heard that already..... with this crowd you never know. Thanks.

Originally Posted by bain
are you sporting "The Club" ?
Yes I am! I also have two other security features but the "club" is visual and works out well.

Quick Reply: Wilderness rack installed, 1st gen 4runner