Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

wierd 4 wheel problems

Old 08-27-2010, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wierd 4 wheel problems

I have a 94 4runner which i have almost completely rebuilt the front end.
new parts
-new cv drive shafts
-new bearings
-rotors and pads
-warn hubs (manual)
and just recently switched my front diff from the add which came with it (spitting teeth like a crack head lol) to a older non add setup. I put it in 4wheel and it worked great first time in a year that this has worked. I go to take it out of 4wheel and it will not disengage until it feels like it. Now I thought I told the truck what to do but it seems I am taking orders now. lol. What can this be the transfer case seems to work and shifts through all smoothly. The catch here is I would turn with my hubs unlocked and they still acted like they were locked!! I can here them click out when I roll backwards but until the 4wheel disengages the hubs will not unlock either!! I am stumped on this and really need help cause either way I am still going to wheel it but the wife hates that the truck determines when I get to go home. THe couch is an uncomfortable place after wheeling all day!! please help.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:27 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your gears are loaded...

Your ADD did the same thing you need to do, only you don't have it anymore so you gotta do it manually.

You got 2 ways to relieve the pressure.

One is by the TC, and the other is the hubs.

I would shift the TC in 2Hi, in reverse. Simultaneously, reverse and push the shifter up into 2Hi.

Smooth, bind free engagements means your drive train will like you for this.

And load or having to force the shifters, and that means there's a load on the system, and you'll wear or break the shift components.

2nd is with the hubs. Put them on free and do a series of pull ups and reverses.

The load will release and the springs will push the rings in the free position.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so for future reference what did I do to create such load on the system?? is there ways to avoid this problem with the non add system? Thank you for the quick response i greatly appreciate this.