Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Camber issue - need input

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camber issue - need input

Hey guys...
I just finished installing a LC coil/BJ spacer lift in my truck. Took it in for an alignment, and afterwards it's still running with 3.6 degrees of camber on the right side.
I don't have a whole lot of confidence (anymore) in the shop that did is, but a buddy (that works there, but still has a lot to learn) said it doesn't have any more adjustment in it...
I'm probably going to take it to another shop in the next day or so... but thought I'd get some input from those who are far more experienced than me.
After a bit of thought, the only think I can think of that'd prevent it from aligning properly at this point would be a bent lower control arm. To the eye, it looks fine... and I've yet to come across a post where anyone had this same issue.
So... any ideas? Possible other causes? suggestions?

Thanks guys!
Old 08-26-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
The more the torsion bars are cranked for lift and/or if BJ spacers are installed = an effectively lesser ammount of positive camber adjustment that is available. Suspension geometry there, nothing you can do about that.

I had the same thing happen on my rig due to twisting the frame rail in-between the upper and lower control arms on the passenger side. Pulling the upper control arm/torsion bar/engine mount in alot(towards the engine), and pushing the rearward lower control arm mount out a bit(away from the engine). The damage occured, of course, pre-Sonoran Steel 86-95 Early IFS Truss installation.
, should've done that sooner!

Since I'm currently involved in a frame-off resto on her, I've taken the time to correct that already.

Long story short...lot's of cutting, lot's of bending, lot's of welding her back together.

Got welder?

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-26-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
x2, something must be tweaked a hair. maybe the torsion bars are unequal, or the guy just couldn't move it anymore. did he at least give you a good cross on the camber? after i did my bj spacer lift, yeah mine was out, but not anywhere near that bad. i was barely out of specs on both sides, it was pretty equal and he was able to bring camber, caster and toe all the way to OEM specs. a lot of guys dont like workin on our trucks... cant imagine why... but my advantage was that i work with the guy that did my alignment, i am Hunter certified, and he has been doing this for 37 years. get a second opinion and check your torsion bars.