86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

This is why I'm done buying parts thru the internet....pic

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is why I'm done buying parts thru the internet....pic

Ordered a clutch for my 89 4runner thru a well known dealer. He gets the clutch from another source I just as easily could have ordered from (price to me would have been the same).

Couple things that really tick me off:

1. Where is this label? Why is it ripped off the box? Afraid that the "Made in China" sticker would offend some of us?

2. Box was not factory sealed. Who the he$$ knows where the parts are made? Parts easily could have been swapped out for something of lessor quality.

I easily could have purchased a clutch thru my local auto parts store. But I purchased this clutch in hopes that I would be receiving a top quality clutch. But with the label missing, and the box not factory sealed, I have no way of knowing what the he$$ I received.

At least purchasing the clutch thru my local parts store, and if the label would have been torn off the box, I simply could have said, "No, you can have your stuff back". But returning stuff thru the internet is much more diffulcult.

No more buying parts thru the internet for me.

vmax84

Old 04-16-2007, 09:29 AM

Have you contacted this "well known dealer"?
Old 04-16-2007, 09:30 AM

And this isn't the first time I've seen this. Bought some other parts from another dealer and the same thing.............stuffed ripped off the boxes to hide where they were made.

vmax84
Old 04-16-2007, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by gonzo
Have you contacted this "well known dealer"?
I'm sending him an email now.

vmax84
Old 04-16-2007, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they don't take care of you please post it in the vendor section.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:46 AM

I paid good money for this clutch, however, I don't have a clue what the he$$ I recieved. If I had wanted a cheapo Chinese clutch, I would have gone down to my local parts store and purchased their 80 dollar clutch kit.

vmax84
Old 04-16-2007, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why are we hiding the vendors name? This post has no purpose?

Scare people from using online vendors or atleast vendors not locally? If you have a beef with the vendor I'd suggest contacting them and asking these questions to THEM. Meanwhile if you feel the need you can enlighten us on the story that unfolds so we all can learn from your experience, whatever it might be.

=)
Old 04-16-2007, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by drew303
Why are we hiding the vendors name? This post has no purpose?

Scare people from using online vendors or atleast vendors not locally? If you have a beef with the vendor I'd suggest contacting them and asking these questions to THEM. Meanwhile if you feel the need you can enlighten us on the story that unfolds so we all can learn from your experience, whatever it might be.

=)
I just emailed the vendor. Before I blab, or if I blab his name all over the internet, I'm going to have my facts straight.

As for bringing this topic up without saying where I bought it, I am simply:

a.) venting...........I am very pissed about receiving items like this.
b.) to see if anyone else has experienced this
c.) to give people a heads up that purchasing things thru the internet has it's risks.

My purpose is not to scare people, but to get some feedback from them, and, simply give them a heads up on what I've experienced.

vmax84
Old 04-16-2007, 10:03 AM

ebay can be a bad idea, but there some good online vendors out there.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:06 AM

What's the big deal? If country of origin parts are so 'life or death' important, did you ask the distributor where it was made before your purchased it? Did the vendor send you something that you didn't order? Doesn't the pressure plate have a 'Made in XXXX' stamp on it anyway? What about brand names? I have no experience with Toyota Clutches, but have installed several dozen VW clutches, and have NEVER seen a generic pressure plate (or disk), for that matter. If you don't know, VW is the king of el-cheapo aftermarket Taiwan parts assembled by children.

Is there something wrong with the clutch kit that you ordered? Were the parts misrepresented?

If the parts would have come in a neat box that said 'Super Heavy Duty Rock-Crawling Mega-Clutch', would that have made a difference?

Last edited by UncleBob; 04-16-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:09 AM

here's a thought.why not buy your parts from the toyota dealer.i know some things are higher,some considerably higher,some in line with aftermarket.but hey i bet the labels on the box & you know what ya got
Old 04-16-2007, 10:17 AM

I've only dealt with local parts places and Marlin Crawler. Can't complain about any of them, other than a few employees here locally =P

a good reputation here, MArlin & Trail-Gear.

marlin have good clutch kits for pretty damn good prices.

I ordered my timing chain kit via Ebay but it was a Engnbldr listing hehe, so that doesnt count. I got an OEM exhaust Manifold via Ebay from a vendor ive never heard of nore remember. I was an ebay seller for a loooong time and kinda know how it works. (dont reccomend that line of work btw, post office suckz!!)

If Marlin, wab, Trail gear, all-pro vendors with big reps have what I need I go there first. IF they don't then i try the local stores, and if they dont or the price sucks then i venture into more risky waters and look online.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-02-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:18 PM

I have gone thrw so many different plaes to order parts I couldn't begin to tell you the names. I ddon't agree with bashing online venders! There are plenty of them that I trust and woukd buy parts from without thinking twice. If you want to get technical ... just about every store has an online purchasing access for thosee that can't make it to the store.

I'll have to agree with the labeling issue. A person can put whatever they want on the box, but give you something else of less value. I know I have recieved things in the past that were in the wrong boxes, but were my parts. A namebrand is just a reason for a company to charge more for a product.

I think you should have waited till you had more facts and could say the company name before posting. I understand your upset, but shooting down all online stores is just crazy.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I am this "unknown" "well known dealer" and I fail to see realistically the problem with a torn box. I stand behind the product as it is, as the parts he received are the parts he ordered and have not been misrepresented in any shape, form or fashion.

You purchased a 1989-1991 4cyl standard clutch kit made by Asco/Aisin or Seco, the company that makes factory Toyota OEM clutches, which as a Trail Gear dealer we source through 3 companies, but all the parts are made in Japan. I did not pack the box so I dont' know why the label is cut/torn ripped off as I drop ship many of the parts I sell from a variety of places and this is no secret. You received your package in a timely manner and to the best of my knowledge you have told me nothing that leads me to believe it is otherwise.

I simply have the following questions:

1. Are any of your parts missing that should be included with the clutch kit? If so, I will completely refund your money.

2. What is the stamping on the actual parts in the clutch kit? Are they not what you ordered? If so, I will completely refund your money.

3. Is the clutch kit for the right year? If not, I will refund your money.

Otherwise, I am unable to understand what the problem is with the clutch kit and why it is unacceptable.

All the parts are there, they are properly idenitified as represented and the kit is for the proper year.

I have told you at least twice now that I will happily refund your money if there is something wrong with the clutch or if it is not what you ordered, as I've done with other customers where there has been a difficulty, but according to my policies here you have shown me nothing to warrant a complete refund and pay for return shipping as there is nothing wrong with the clutch kit whatsoever, you simply don't like the fact that the box is torn. Again you need to read our policies below: http://www.wabfab.org/Disclaimer.htm

Brian
Old 04-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

Owned
Old 04-16-2007, 05:45 PM

I can see both sides.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:49 PM

brian is a good guy, why not just call him first before venting online? he has never had any negative feedback on this website and this thread is completely useless...btw brian i'm still lookin for the hub ball-bearings, the tiny zip loc is tricky to locate
Old 04-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vmax84
Ordered a clutch for my 89 4runner thru a well known dealer. He gets the clutch from another source I just as easily could have ordered from

what is YOUR definition of a parts dealer if this isnt correct?
Old 04-16-2007, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by 95RunnerSR5
why not just call him first before venting online?
That's always good advice.

The way this was posted it just puts people off & makes them not want to work with you. If you feel there was part changing going on, call & discuss it.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

The stuff that I have got from BRAIN has only been misrepresented in the fact that is much better then I was lead to believe and I for one know with out doubt that if its wrong your money is safe with him I.E. new better parts or cash returned no questions asked from him except what can he do to make you happy with his service. I will continue to buy from BRIAN knowing full well if I m not happy there is always a happy resolution with him and WAB FAB call his number and who answers BRAIN right there should tell you what a stand up vender he is.

Quick Reply: This is why I'm done buying parts thru the internet....pic