Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Why does it leak oil now?

Old 02-19-2008, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does it leak oil now?

My 1988 4x4 yota with 3vze never leaked oil (always dry on the pan) I changed it 2000 miles ago and not one drop ever in my driveway. I got an oil change on Thursday 2/14 and noticed Friday 2/15 a small amount of oil on the ground. I use 10w40 and when they changed it they put in 10W30 I didn't think this could be the cause. Saturday I took it to the Toyota dealership as I smelt a strong odor of gas this past week they fixed the fuel damper and that took care of that I didn't think of mentioning the slight oil leak thinking maybe some oil was spilt when pumping in the valve cover. Sunday afternoon a little more was left on the ground after sitting for day (getting worse). Yesterday 2/18 it sat at work for 5 houirs and when I came out of work I moved it back and looked at the ground to notice a nice amount of oil had dripped out of 3 times the amount previously dripping out(like a puddle of clean oil!). What could this be? And why right after an oil change? Did the shop do something wrong and try to cover it up or just not say anything. Could it be related to somthing else the fuel damper work Toyota did? Please help with suggestians :
Old 02-19-2008, 03:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your going to have to look under your truck and find it. Could be simple-- damage to the oil pan or drain plug causing a leak through there. Or, they could have just not cleaned up after they changed the oil filter and there is a bunch of oil around that side of the suspension/transfer case.

And, it could just be a coincidence that your truck started leaking the same day as an oil change.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
probably related to your oil change. Filter loose, non toyota filter, drain plug loose, residual oil. ect ect
Old 02-19-2008, 06:47 AM

I know this post doesn't add much value, but I will say this:

I changed the oil/filter in my '88 2 months ago. Couldn't find the oil capacity in the users manual, so consulted the manual in my '90. (both 3.0's). The previous owner had written "Oil=6.4 quarts" on it, so that's what I put in the '88. It seemed like a lot, but after adding the oil, it was right at the FULL mark on the dipstick, if not a TINY bit over...

After the next long highway drive, I noticed a little puddle under the truck about the size of a beer can. While hot and running, it would not leak a drop. Only after shutting it off. It did this a few more times when hot and the puddle got to be pretty decent size, maybe 8", only leaking as soon as I shut it off hot for 5 seconds or so.

I figured it was in need of a rear main seal and was getting prepared to change it.

I packed away a few quarts of oil and went on a trail run. I checked the oil throughout the day, and noticed that the leak STOPPED. Since then, (several weeks ago), I have not noticed ANY leaks from the engine. I have taken it on several all-day runs, gotten it plenty hot on the highway, etc. No more leaks.

I suspect I may have overfilled the oil, but not sure why it would have leaked out apparently in the rear main seal area. Is there an overflow or something?

Oil is between the hash marks right now and no more leaks. Engine has 150K on it, and I know the rear main seal will need raplacing eventually, but I'm not gonna tear it apart if it's dry, you know what I mean?
Old 02-20-2008, 12:47 PM

RE: Why does it leak oil now?

Thanks for all your inputs I'm going to check all of it this weekend. The oil seems to stay full i'm thinking it was a quick clean up job I'm going to clean it up make sure it's all tight and go from ther. I did however notice after the fuel damper as done now I'm having excesive coolant leak and it doesnt seem to be coming from the radiator. This just occured after the damper was done by toyota. Do you have to remove any water hoses when this process is done or now do I have a faulty water pump? Any help is appreciated and thanks to all of you for the pointers!