Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

why do so many people hate our trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My family hates my trucks. My mom's side drives Dodge, switched from Ford after they realized Ford sucks and my dad's side drives Chevy. I'm the only Yota guy and I'm also the one that spends the least amount of time fixing my truck lol. I've owned Chevy, Ford, Mitsubishi, Nissan, and Mazda . I'll never buy something other than Toyota again.

Anyway, every car maker is going to have some screw ups. Considering how many vehicles they put out I'm surprised there isn't more. Its not the design flaw that should matter, its what they do to fix it overall. I think Toyota does a good job of fixing mistakes when they are found (like the Camry seat belt issue in November) and I am impressed by their reliability. Let them haters keep hatin.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
the 22rte was a stop-gap response to the v6 nissan came out with... and was replaced by the 3.0 v6... another bad move.
they should've done a supercharger instead of a turbo and fine tuned the fuel injection.
They shouldve made the lexus 4.0L v8 an option in our trucks. 250crank horsepower and 18mpg! I want!

In my mind thats the only problem with my truck. It needs more power! Im tired of v8 milage without the power.

Last edited by Jay351; 07-17-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jay351
They shouldve made the lexus 4.0L v8 an option in our trucks. 250crank horsepower and 18mpg! I want!.
Also want to use premium gas?
Old 07-18-2008, 12:49 AM
Contributing Member

The sound alone is worth it.. Those things run fine on 87.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:21 AM

Bah go to bed you wacky old insomniatic canadian! Lol

Eh, thought those things preferred premium.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:00 AM
Contributing Member

Bc's best is doing a damn good job of keepin me up!
Old 07-18-2008, 03:08 AM

Bc's best? What the hell is that?
Old 07-18-2008, 04:25 AM

Almost every non-Toyota person that comments on my truck has some story to tell about a Toyota they, or someone they know had. Toyotas reliability and durability is legendary.
I just laugh when people tell me they wont buy a foreign truck. I believe my new Dodge Cummins is more foreign than a new Tundra. Isnt the DuraMax an Isuzu? The only reason I bought a new Dodge is, that Toyota doesnt offer a 3/4 or 1ton diesel.
Toyota!!! WAKE UP!!!
While the big 3 are going bankrupt, Toyota is jumping out in front. I think we all saw this comming. Their lack of preperation and the UAW (and the Canadian version) is killing them. PERIOD. Unions used to protect workers from being taken advantage of but now they're just a hiding place for the lazy and incompetent. Pretty soon we're all going to have to cross the border to Mexico illegally to get a job.
Now, before you send me hate mail, you should know that Im in a union. Against my will but its not like I have an option other than to find a new career.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate fords.

They just do some straight up STUPID things.

The oil filter on the taurus (3.0 v6) and the ranger (4.0) both have the same problem...

The oil filter is right in the middle of the manifold and the starter... So you have a great chances of arcing the starter and/or burning the hell out of your hand when you change your oil. It sucks.

Its little things like that about fords that just bug the hell out of me.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:59 AM

ya before i bought my 82 i have owned chev,ford,and dodge all i got to say is watch that bit on google "top gear killing a toyota" lets see the big three even begin to go through that and live to tell.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:15 AM

I worked at an oil change shop for a little while and that comment about their filters is true. Its a bull place to put something...major fail. On one Ranger we had the ground wire on the starter broke off when the filter was pulled down. The owner was pissed and I kept laughing. I told him Ford did one thing right: they circled the problem.

That top gear was awesome. My friends were saying we should drop my truck off some high rise apartments we have lol.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:34 PM

Most of my buddies drive either chevy or ford. I could care less if they make fun of my truck because when they mention how "weak/tiny" it is in front of anyone else I reply with: "You never complained about it when I was pulling any of you out at all hours of the night were ya?"

No matter how many excuses they give they still got pulled out by a Toyota. In my old stock 87 I managed to pull out a 98 ford ranger twice it's size out of this little mud hole barely wide/long enough for them to get stuck in. First thing I did when I got there was laugh!
Old 07-18-2008, 09:24 PM

Damn this is old!!!!! If you think Toyota is good you should see lexus and how good we treat the customers!
Old 07-18-2008, 09:43 PM

All vehicle manufactures, (especially in this day and age), have positive aspects. Its truely the ignorant that takes sides with any particular vehicle manufacture as being superior over the other. Grow up.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by keithM
All vehicle manufactures, (especially in this day and age), have positive aspects. Its truely the ignorant that takes sides with any particular vehicle manufacture as being superior over the other. Grow up.
You're bang on, 99% right- they all do have their strong points. However, I'd take certain "positive aspects" over others. For instance I'd take reliability (Toyota) over heated cupholders (Ford) and seats designed for fat people (Jeep).

I think import hating started with blue-collared North Americans who saw their jobs and livelihoods being threatened by outsourcing. This idea was propagated by NA automakers to boost sales. This idea of "Made in America= quality" was almost certainly originated by NA companies and then passed on to the workers and then to society.

I think Toyota haters probably fall into three groups now
  1. other 4x4 owners who have been showed up by a Toyota
  2. wannabe rednecks (whats with this new Born-Again Redneck thing..wtf) who will glom onto anything they perceive as American no matter the quality
  3. the odd person who bought a genuine lemon from Toyota after having a reliable American car

Err, pardon me...but who actually cares?

Last edited by Matt16; 07-18-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:27 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt16
You're bang on, 99% right- they all do have their strong points. However, I'd take certain "positive aspects" over others. For instance I'd take reliability (Toyota) over heated cupholders (Ford) and seats designed for fat people (Jeep).

I think import hating started with blue-collared North Americans who saw their jobs and livelihoods being threatened by outsourcing. This idea was propagated by NA automakers to boost sales. This idea of "Made in America= quality" was almost certainly originated by NA companies and then passed on to the workers and then to society.

I think Toyota haters probably fall into three groups now
  1. other 4x4 owners who have been showed up by a Toyota
  2. wannabe rednecks (whats with this new Born-Again Redneck thing..wtf) who will glom onto anything they perceive as American no matter the quality
  3. the odd person who bought a genuine lemon from Toyota after having a reliable American car

Err, pardon me...but who actually cares?
Well said!

I honestly feel that Toyota is very reliable but they arent without thier issues. Maintenance is truly the key for any vehicle, but some vehicles are built better than others.

Working at a shop and on the road I can faithfully say that every car maker has its issues, but the big 3 have many more than toyota, nissan or honda. Chrysler is ABSOLUTE CRAPOLA in every aspect from build to component quality. Thier shoddy trans's are legendary as are thier odd problems, Ford cant build a real engine (shoulda stuck with the 351, and I6 and 302 the 4.2 and 5.4 suck), Chevy eats alts, starters and waterpumps but thier 350 is the best V8 out of all, they also have issues.

However Toyota still comes out on top, I have seen them run so badly its sad but it still runs, honda is the same way and nissan to a lesser extent. If you want to buy a vehicle and drive it till it dies thats what you buy. Although big 3 cars can be ok, they require more maintenance period overall than the big 3 imports. My old 93 V6 camry had a shift issue from 1st to 2nd but so long as you kept the skinny pedal down she went-THAT WAY FOR ANOTHER 50K AND ALL I DID WAS ADD LUCAS IN THE LAST 10K?? My brothers 96 buick regal on the other hand is literally falling apart at 130k..everything and anything is going wrong and the car was always maintained..isnt it odd the yota needed way less work? All I ever did was change fluids, the normal brakes and tires and junk and replace the front struts, a rad and a front pass wheel bearing and when I sold it all it needed was rear struts. Im sure its still around even with the trans! Cant say that for some other vehicles.

In the end yes, I can faithfully say Toyota is built very well. Some of thier stuff will have issues like anyone else, but who else will repair a recall thats over 10 years old for free? Who else can drive 300k with nary a big issue?
Old 07-18-2008, 11:48 PM

My Toyota is 19 years old! And only had ONE problem MAF sensor went out early June this year! That What I Called BUILD LIKE A ROCK!
Old 07-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Contributing Member

I like Toyota's because they are small and agile and overbuilt... at least they were. I ran into a guy from Houston the other day and chided him because Toyota no longer makes a compact truck. He said "like the Tacoma?" I told him the Tacoma was now a mid-size truck, that I have an 88 Hilux and it is a compact. His response was all the jazz on how america likes bigger vehicles, the whole SUV things, etc... and -- "you better hang on to that" meaning my 88 model. I have not experienced superb reliability from toyotas, but they are built well enough that I keep working on the 20 year old models! I don't do that to ford's or chevy's even though I could. I just like the way the toyota compact drive's and handles.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

Ever change the oil on a early 90's chevy 4x4 1500 w/ the 350? Unless you got a lift, there is NO way you are not getting a bath of hot oil from the oil filter. The filter that chevy saw the need to tuck right behind the damn torsion bar...
Old 07-19-2008, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jay351
Ever change the oil on a early 90's chevy 4x4 1500 w/ the 350? Unless you got a lift, there is NO way you are not getting a bath of hot oil from the oil filter. The filter that chevy saw the need to tuck right behind the damn torsion bar...
Ford Ranger- Above the starter, below the manifold.

Ford Taurus- Above the starter, below the manifold

Ford f-150... Make sure you turn the steering wheel all the way to the right so it gets the pitman (or idler, not sure which it really is) out of the way so you can get the filter out

Toyota trucks: PITA till you take off the skid plate

Chevy truck you speak of: Not difficult... just spin it a bit, let it drain, then take it out.

The most difficult chevy is the most difficult car i have come across in my year at a quick lube... cavaliers. Some of them you can get from the top behind the power steering tank.... some you have to stick your arm up between the crossmember and the exhaust, loosen by hand, and pull down through the control arms. WTF?

Other than that, ford is the worst overall.

Quick Reply: why do so many people hate our trucks?