Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

why do so many people hate our trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry why do so many people hate our trucks?

man ive been look on youtube.com, and website forums. i didnt realize how many people out there hate our toyota trucks. Like on this website here there talkin about the new tundras http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums...opic=17557&hl=
and this one
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7231123AAopLxb
Especially the new tundra, i just heard that 20 of the new 5.7 liter motors snapped a camshaft. i hope this doesnt effect toyota too much.

i just wish that toyota brought back our truck and put like 5.7L into the 4runners or our pickups. and we get to have those beloved diesels
Old 06-18-2007, 12:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say it is the arrogant attitude that a lot of Toyota guys have. Its just what I have seen. I agree that Toyota's fit and finish is far superior to almost any common brand out there, and have a way better reputation than the rest. Plus they are probably hating on Toyota's because they are better.

But then again you should look at this sight in particular and see how it bashes any other brand besides Toyota. So its not like Toyota guys don't bash other brands.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:38 AM

Haha on that yahoo link the guy actually has a "anti Toyota" myspace group. Wow some people just have to much time on they're hands. It's a waste of our time to try and defend Toyota's name to these guys. They're so stuck in their own way of thinking. I believe "To each his own" but that doesn't mean i'm about to go bash Fords and Chevys...
Old 06-18-2007, 03:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota generally sets the bar....their sales make others jealous. I will say, as a long time toyota truck buyer, they still have not proven to me that they have solved all their head gasket problems. They do a really good job of keeping it quiet. I have long suspected that a service appointment that extends until Monday, under warranty, is likely a head gasket replacement you will never know about!

Old 06-18-2007, 03:53 AM

Jealousy. People hate the fact that Toyotas break less than there American cars and will take any opportunity to talk down about them. 20 camshafts out of how many 5.7 motors sold so far? I work at a Ford dealership part time and I can say that the techs pretty much say the 6.0 turbo deisel is one of the biggest POS motors ever, and I believe them as I see at least one torn apart every week. Not to mention the V10 that blows out spark plugs and Ford refuses to fix if the truck is out of warranty. I have come to the point that I don't even talk about cars with people, when someone says they are getting some American car, instead of suggesting a Toyota and hearing their stupidity, I just smile and say, a Ford 500 huh, those seem like nice cars, good luck with that.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:58 AM

yea, people are brand loyal for some stupid reason, those of us on the dark side (toyota owners) seem to have quit loving the domestics...i blame that on fat-headed americans (no offense)
Old 06-18-2007, 04:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
UAW workers hate any company not unionized.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:16 AM

I just smile and say, a Ford 500 huh, those seem like nice cars, good luck with that.
my friend use to work at a ford dealership, and said the EXACT same thing when a ford 500 came to our shop. something i found on a consumer complaint website

Larry of Eaton NH (06/11/07)
2003 Ford F250 5.4l spark plug blew out w/70,000 miles. Gonna buy a Toyota. I'm self employed, the truck is my work truck, can't afford 3-4000 dollar repair.

Last edited by Knuckles; 06-18-2007 at 04:21 AM.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:58 AM

... I like my truck.., but it's 22 years old and I'm sure there are better ones out there... whatever works for the person buying is really all that matters...
Old 06-18-2007, 05:25 AM

When I think of American cars I think about Ford's Assembly line and about how fast they can make a few bucks,when I think of Toyota I think of a bunch of Japanese guys in Smocks examining a vehicle. It is an easy choice to me,I've had my 4Runner since I was 17 and I'm now 21.I have no reason to turn from something that is getting the job done. I'd love to buy American, but IMO your just buying a lesser vehicle.New to me is something in the 90's anyways. I'm still stuck in the 80's with my yotas...
Old 06-18-2007, 06:48 AM

We had a chrysler town and country and I bought an 89 Toyo truck / the chrysler had issues - computer, tranny so on - so we bought her a 93 previa all wheel drive - she loves it, I am happy. then I sold the truck and looked for 2weeks at different vehicles. I could not find a truck or SUV that really stuck out as a gooood vehicle. So we narrowed our focus to the 4 runner - I pulled an excellent deal from Denver. Never regret your decision to by a YOTA.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, my ex step dad is about as redneck as it gets, but he had enough sense to go toyota. he said chevys and fords never gave his family anything but trouble the whole time he grew up. he has bought toyota ever since he could afford to buy his own vehicle. it all started with a 1990 pickup 4x4. then, we bought a second, 1994 T100. traded that on a new tundra back in 2000. totalled that, bought a gmc dump truck and then a 97 or 98 T100. i dont know what his plans are for the rest of his life. LOL. but i do know he is sold on them and so am i. i bought a Yota for a reason, that being, simply that no one builds them like toyota builds them.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

Its an attitude that many have about things they really don't know about. I have owned a jeep and wheeled with the "Jeep Thing" crew. I try to keep an open mind about people and their rigs. I dislike jeep due to owning and repairing one. Toyota has taken over the market and that is where the main backlash is coming from. Forget the quality and capability factor. ...... its more like the fact that a foreign company is now #1. The sad fact of it is that all our USA brands are made else where and shipped here. My 4runner is more American made then my father in laws GMC. I am sure there is soon to be a backlash against ford due to its new 250. My friend is a ford mechanic and they have had so many issues out of the last two power stroke designs. The new one averages 12 mpg......lol
Old 06-18-2007, 07:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Personally, I'd like to see the re-introduction of the 1st gen 4runner, but with a v6 diesel option.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:31 AM

How do you think I feel? Most my buddies are Ford guys and the few that aren't are Chevy guys and they all, including myself, are Harley guys. So I get a bit of grief for driving a Yota with a Harley sticker in the rear window. It's all in fun though.

After a while, they all admitted that my truck has proven itself and is a "good little truck". Especially after I towed my neighbor's K1500 4x4 up my hill in two wheel drive so he could get it back into his driveway after the fuel pump quit. Not bad for a little four banger I got for nuthin.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by gilby4runner
My 4runner is more American made then my father in laws GMC.
Not to wade in here too much, but the 4Runner is still almost 100% Japanese made. The Tundra, Tacoma, Sequoia, Camry and several other Toyotas are assembled in the US and have different levels of locally sourced parts, but the window sticker on the 4Runner still says just about 100% Japanese parts. That and the Land Cruiser I know.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:06 AM

When my dad bought the truck I'm driving now... all he was looking for was a 4x4 pick-up to pull his boat and nobody would give him a price..it was all that "what do you want your payments" crap... he ended up a Toyota dealer 2 hours away and hasn't looked back on the decision since (though I wish he would've gotten the SR5 model)
Old 06-18-2007, 08:21 AM

I don't give a ☺☺☺☺ either way

If it runs I'll drive it, I favor no brand.

Sinful comments FTW.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:47 AM

I say 'if it works well: i'll take one'. Toyotas just happen to work well. My 17 year old 4runner has WAAAAY fewer problems than my step-son's 2000 grand-am (previously my wifes). Got her moved into a 13 year old MR2 and the only problem so far with that car was a belt that needed replaced.

That is not to say that every vehicle in the toyota line up is a homerun: you couldn't pay me enough to own a rav 4 that is more than 4 or 5 years old, because they just dont seem to hold up. And my next daily driver will probably be a hyundai (sonata), as the quality of those things has been steadily growing over the last few years, and they are more affordable than a newer camry.

And hey: IF Jeep starts making a really quality product, that can wheel and go the long haul without many problems, i would have no problems buying it. That is a big IF though.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i could care less what the naysayers say. because in 10 years ill probably still have my toyota and they will probably have gone through 5 GM vehicles

Quick Reply: why do so many people hate our trucks?