Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

WHY IS THE 3vze so bad to some

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get great power out of mine, and love it. I really do. i have heard the 3.slow thing and maybe it's just me, but i don't find it slow at all. Then again, it's not a race car either. I'm pretty happy with it and have plenty of miles on it.
The following users liked this post:
drpete82 (10-08-2022)
Old 08-05-2010, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300,000 on a 1990 and finally needed rebuild. Pistons still looked great and if not for a few burned valves, never would have had a problem, Still had timing belt in for 230,000. Like all Toys, great longevity, lacks power especially in hills of Colo, but always got me there. rebuilt and ready for another 300,000!!! Happy motoring!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is an auto 3.slow. It is slow, but I keep adding bigger tires and no gear changes, so it is what it is. ANY vehicle will do the same. Regearing is the key. Even with 30x9.50x15's it was slow with 4.10's. So now I got it regeared to 5.29 with 35x12.50x15 BFG MT, along with a SAS. I am waiting to break in the new gears so I haven't done much with it but baby the crap out of it.

My 3.0L has been very dependable. I've replaced spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, O2 sensor, oil & oil filters and plenty of air filters. Normal driveway stuff. But mine is an 88 so I think my HG are factory (it doesn't qualify for the free recall) and my motor has had no major problems in 233,647 miles.

After the new gears are broke in I will drive it with the auto and see how it does all around, off road, with mileage, up hills (plenty of hills and mtns in Reno). I've liked the auto so far off road. Never went off road with a manual though. I do have a 5 speed with an extra gear driven case to swap in so if i think I really need it for the better power everyone says it gets, I will do the 5 speed swap next. If not I will just drive it till goes.

I gotta say these toyota autos are geared badly but they last and take abuse. As a comparison, 1st gear is 2.8 in the auto but the R150 5 sp is 3.8 and the turbo 5 sp is 4.3, so the autos are really starting out in second gear and there is where the power problem starts.

I love reading about the "beloved" 3.0L. The 5 sp guys and gals definately have an advantage, even in the mtns.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread should be merged with the rest of the "3.0 sucks" threads...

Mods?
Old 08-05-2010, 06:43 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by thinsley
I get great power out of mine, and love it. I really do. i have heard the 3.slow thing and maybe it's just me, but i don't find it slow at all. Then again, it's not a race car either. I'm pretty happy with it and have plenty of miles on it.
My exact feelings.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:22 PM

curious?
Im new to the yota tech forum, I'm on my Second 4runner both 2nd Gens V6 sr5 and I love them.
My first was a 1990 red 4runner automatic, and i've noticed everyone hates the mileage but After a drop in K&N air filter , fuel chip , 31's stock and I down sized the exhaust from were the cat should of been. I put in a glass pack and a nice muffler believe it or not I was getting 20-25mpg regularly, and more with a bottle of octane booster I have only run 91 through both of my 4runners and they love it they don't run as well on 87 so thats just what I did and still do is this a fluke or was there something wrong with it??? Not to mention this thing was tough I beat the snot out of it daily and rolled it twice and it still drove and ran like a champ.

Currently I have a 94 4runner sr5 v6 green manual trans, cold air intake , fuel chip , ngk vpowers gapped to .36 and advanced timing about 12 degrees , ranchos all around , 31's , and brand new heads and top end rebuild at 180k , and a similar exhaust but not downsized. I average about 20-22mpg and when I got it I figured it would have better mileage being a manual, also runs best on 91. This truck is very peppy for what it is 210k and has plenty of power left. After reading about everyones experience with mileage it makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the 4runners I've owned or if I just got lucky and shouldn't question it?????

Any ideas I'm a little confused, Thanks
Old 09-24-2010, 12:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I've never heard of a fuel chip for the 3veezee.??

Also, are we talking 4x4 or rwd? Those numbers sound right for a RWD; NO WAY for a 4x4. That's almost 1,000 lbs more to lug around.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:31 AM

Both 4x4. I live in Minnesota, 2 wheel drive just don't cut it here. But those are the numbers I've done the math for both of the 4runners and have had my fiancé do the math also, and time and time again I average about the same. As far as the weight, I've weighed them both and they both averaged 4,000 pounds. As far as the fuel chip goes its basically just a cheap little resistor that attaches to the IAT or MAF censor I've heard a lot of controversy over these being bad for the engine but from my experience, after putting it in I got better mileage, smoother shifting, and better acceleration in both rigs. Right now I'm looking for an ecu chip to try and improve mileage without this IAT so called chip but until I find one I'll take my chances cause I drive a lot and I like my current mileage I get with my 4runner. ??? Any suggestions Thanks ???
Old 09-24-2010, 12:23 PM

Have you people driven a 22re in front of an auto? If you think the 3vze is bad with an auto, the 22re is horrible. Gotta compare apples to apples. I have had both and the 5 speed is the only way to go with both engines.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
There is no MAF on 2nd gen Yotas; only a VAFM (Vane Air Flow Meter).
Old 09-24-2010, 09:41 PM

I attached it to the IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor at least thats what I know its called. It can also be attached to a MAF censor if thats what the vehicle has thats why I put both up there. Some vehicles have it so I figured I throw it up there to cover the info on it. Just trying to give the most Info on it I can.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:55 PM

If any one wants I could send you some web sites explaining the IAT sensor in detail or I'll take some pics of mine and the so called chip I put in if anyone is curious or would like to see????

But I'm still very curious as to why I'm getting this mileage and everyone else isn't. Just want to know whats going on.
Knowledge Is Power and I want to know as much as possible Thanks
Old 09-24-2010, 10:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, don't pull the wire cluster on the VAFM thinking you will be cleaning a MAF sensor.... did that one after cleaning my 5vz MAF. oops....

dude, I know there are folks that 'love' the 3vze and yeah it's OK to a point but jeeezus, this engine SUCKS!!! hahahaha it is some weak sauce and should be replaced with a real engine as soon as you can afford it/know how to do it... can't wait to do mine after I save up a little bit more.... sure, it's trouble free minus the head gasket..... blah.... even before my SC and dreams of turbo, crap, I couldn't stand this lack of power. for all my bashing, this motor does work but why put up with it's weakness?
Old 09-24-2010, 10:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm actually surprised at how good of mileage I get in my 3.slow compared to others; after replacing the front O2 sensor, I averaged 20mpg no joke for a while... back to 16-17mpg now but still not bad (for a 3vze, crap for any other 3.0)

hell, the supra motor is a 3.0 and is capable of over 1000hp!!! and much better mileage.... not to mention passing those annoying hippies in the left lanes doing 45mph ....
Old 09-25-2010, 12:27 PM

Ya I can understand it if you compare it to the 3.4 four cam 5vz, or a supra engine. Couple of my friends have the Supercharged 3.4 in there 4runners, and ya I'd love to shove one in mine, But for me its the $ aspect I'd rather put lockers in mine with some mean tires, and a little armor and keep up with my friends Chevy's ha ha.(cause I still get way better mileage than they do) But I have never had an issue with my 3vze's I guess If any thing ever happens to it I'd consider other possibility's but for now I love it
Old 09-25-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jesses4runner
If any one wants I could send you some web sites explaining the IAT sensor in detail or I'll take some pics of mine and the so called chip I put in if anyone is curious or would like to see????
Yes...more details please!

I hadn't heard of the IAT mod. But it sounds alot like the ECT mod to me. ECT Mod write-up.

Last edited by MudHippy; 09-25-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:08 PM

http://www.wiringdiagrams21.com/2010...ircuit-diagram

This explains it pretty well ,but I'm looking for the page in my haynes manual, It explains it a little better
Old 09-26-2010, 02:17 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/album.php?albumid=2445
Here's a couple pics I took'
Old 09-26-2010, 02:44 PM

I read the ECT Mod and it's not the same but a similar concept tricks the engine to run leaner witch is what the IAT sensor MOD does but with the air temp instead of the coolant temperature. It makes me want to try this ECT Mod out on mine but it already runs so lean is there a point were running it really really lean will hurt something???

I got the IAT chip / resistor, And my NGK Vpowers (plugs) are gapped to .36, And my Ignition is advanced by about 12 degrees, And a cold air intake, So needless to say it runs really lean already???

Any one know or have some suggestions, I do run it on 91 oct just to clarify. And I'm thinking about cranking the AFM 4 Cranks counter clockwise because of the plugs and timing and the fact that I run 91, Any Ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-26-2010, 03:05 PM

i had electrical problems w/ that motor and took it in for the recalls ,it still wouldnt idle rite.i blew a radiator copper pipe in back of the engine that i couldn't see and thought it was the head spitin coolant like a bitch.... idk..... now i got electrical problems on my 3.4 but its a conversion and im not a 3.4 pro

Last edited by dropzone; 10-01-2010 at 03:22 AM. Reason: language

Quick Reply: WHY IS THE 3vze so bad to some