86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Who wants 3vz-e performance? :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who wants 3vz-e performance? :)

Well i have been looking around to see what kind of options there are for people who are interested in building up the 3vz-e motor.

I have made some calls and figured some things out as far as the bottom end goes. The 3vz-fe and 5vz-fe share the same rods so when shoes sent me a rod from his engine i matched them up and they looked the same as the others. I sent them away to Pauter to verify the similarities and after 45min convo (when they got it) we figured that the only real difference is that the pin diameter of the 3vz-fe and 5vz-fe rods are 22mm while the 3vz-e is 21mm ()...so that sucks, but then i figured that when I get the custom arias pistons made for these motors i will have the pin diameter of the 3vz-e piston enlarged to 22mm so everyone can either: Buy high power forged rods from me or for people going with a bit more power can easily grab a set of used 5vz or 3vz-fe rods and match them with the new pistons.

Also we noticed that the small oil relief on the 3vz-e rod is of a ty design and reduces the overall effectually of the motor, so the new rods will be of a much better design.

I am working on lower compression 3vz-e pistons, just need to find the head cc # for me to use. I dont have a 3vz-e head around to measure.

Anyway whoever wants to show off what this little 3."slow" can really do (as i believe it can make some decent power) this is a great option for you!

Also I am in the process of getting cometic MLS headgaskets made to stock here for all the v6's including the 3vz-e....no more head gasket worries

Now time to work on valves
Old 08-19-2007, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so are you saying you need someone to send you a set of 3vze heads? I just might be able to help you there....

Kat...
Old 08-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Il be the guinny pig if you give me a deal
Old 08-19-2007, 09:57 AM

hey buddy, I already got dibs lol
Old 08-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by justinking060310
hey buddy, I already got dibs lol
I'l fight you for it THUNDERDOME style!!!111
Old 08-19-2007, 10:22 AM

cant wait to see where this goes...
Old 08-19-2007, 10:37 AM

Well i am going to get a spare head from a scrap yard so i can do the measuring and other tests.
justinking060310, are you building a motor? Do you have a spare cyl head around?

Shoes is probably going to be the first to see the pistons unless people want in on this now. Lower compression is only really useful for people pushing 20+psi, stock compression would be more then enough for up to around 18-19psi.
Higher compression pistons are also an option for people who may want to stay n/a but add some more kick by going to 10.5:1. That can yield some decent power on its own.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well how much would it be? i mean remeber if its gonna cost thousands to change all of this stuff, it will be cheaper to just replace the engine

i do like the ideas of making the 3.0 a 3.fast :]

95 runenr right here, if you wanna work on it, i gotta make sure you wont ruin her, ill be your test subject too (that is if you want 2 i know these guys got dibs, but im next in line!) lol
Old 08-19-2007, 10:44 AM

i would send my head but i could imagine the shipping cost n also how long it take u to get it especially how long it took for you to get my connecting rod.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:06 AM

shoes is right - shipping time would be killer - yes i am building a new 3vze - i just got a look at one of the lobes on my passenger side cams that is 1/2 gone -- not sure what i am going to do - I dont think i need any hi performance pistons and stuff though - it is just an N/A motor....
Old 08-19-2007, 11:42 AM

The cost will be in the 1800range for both rods and pistons combo....yes it costs a decent amount but at that point you have a bottom end that will easily take on the 5vz while not adding the cost of: Buying a new engine, removing your old engine putting in the 5vz, wiring it up yadda yadda....

Again this is just an OPTION for people who want to work with the 3vz-e I wish I could find a 3vz-e entire block assembly to take apart and work with as i have done with the other 2 vz's.

Also the 1800 includes the high performance rods...you can easily find 5vz OEM rods somewhere which can yield you pretty decent power numbers (upwards of 400hp). I will be working on getting stock of many used 5vz rods and having them shot peened or cryo treated for an option. The pistons themselves are the key

Shoes/Kat,
I have just registered myself down in WA state so i now have a post office address there...shipping is much cheaper to WA vs here in vancouver.

I am looking at some cheap 3vz-e heads now and will check out if i have enough funding in R&D to get them now. Only need 1
Old 08-19-2007, 11:43 AM

oh and i got some other "go fast goodies" on the table right now...slatted for testing later this year
Old 08-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

tease... what are they?

*hopes for a supercharger*
Old 08-19-2007, 11:50 AM

naw a dual phase twin turbo.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:57 AM

It all depends on what goes on around here...im busy at the moment but if i can put more money to R&D i will be doing some tests on the 4runner here...
Old 08-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

keep us posted
Old 08-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

This is good news to hear, with my turbo background I could probably whip up 300whp reliably on this motor.

Weasy, do you by chance have pictures of the 3vze rods you could share with me? What's their composition? Forged? Shot peened from factory? Cast? etc. What about pistson?

What are we looking at as absolute maximum limits for stock internals on this motor?

btw, $1800 for arias pistons and hi-po rods (I'm assuming pauters?) That's pretty high...but if pauter and arias extreme duty, I can understand why.

Thanks

Last edited by chimmike; 08-19-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by chimmike
This is good news to hear, with my turbo background I could probably whip up 300whp reliably on this motor.

Weasy, do you by chance have pictures of the 3vze rods you could share with me? What's their composition? Forged? Shot peened from factory? Cast? etc. What about pistson?

What are we looking at as absolute maximum limits for stock internals on this motor?

btw, $1800 for arias pistons and hi-po rods (I'm assuming pauters?) That's pretty high...but if pauter and arias extreme duty, I can understand why.

Thanks
I did not take any pictures and the rod is now with pauter.
They are defiantly a cast piece....they are fairly large and probably can handle upwards of 350hp at the crank depending on the tuning job done. I will not say how long it will last at that point as a hint of detonation will blow apart the rods Either that or the stock pistons

The rods from Pauter are VERY strong and are made here with the best materials possible. They are NOT subcontracted out to Asia like some are...it would shock most people to find that lots of company's are going to asia to build so called "high performance" parts...I prefer to only buy USA/CANADA/Aussie made products as they are known to be way more durable and trust worthy! /rant

As for the pistons...where do i start hehe...
The new piston sets will feature a much better crown design that will see better combustion efficiency as well as better thermal control. The piston skirt will be modified in such a way to prevent cyl wall scoring caused by extreme temps and pressure.
All this plus they weigh less which offsets the beefier pauter rods which weigh a bit more.

Again stock internals....ide say first to go would be Pistons then Rods.....its all in the tuning, but my safe bet is 350bhp 300whp ish!
Old 08-19-2007, 01:50 PM

im thinking you can do alot more than 300hp. im gonna try to run mine at 20psi. But with weazy's piston n connecting rods will make that happen!

Last edited by shoes138; 08-19-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:52 PM

^ yea but you are not sticking with stock components Once you get rod/pistons then you are looking at a much higher number

Anyone got close ups of the crank? I wonder if that is cast or forged like the other v6's

Quick Reply: Who wants 3vz-e performance? :)