Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

who has had stolen 1st gen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who has had stolen 1st gen?

It seems that 1st gens are pretty popular for the theves, who has had there 1st gen stolen and what do you do to prevent it? For example fuel pump switches or maybe just extensive body dammage
Old 12-09-2005, 12:18 PM

Mine was stolen two years ago. doesnt help that after a while you can use any toyota key on these rigs to open the doors or start it up. I like to stop by my buddies work sometimes and use my key to start and move his 4runner to the other end of the parking lot.

Only option is an alarm. That little light deters any meth addict from even opening the door.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

LOL, yeah mine can be started with anything. Even a flat head screw driver.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
iir, some people have put magnetic reed switches to prevent starting. of course, towing is another problem in and of itself

bob
Old 12-09-2005, 12:45 PM

Yup, this is a pretty big problem. Luckely my 89 4runner still has working locks. I used to have an alarm, but I went swimming with the remote. A buddy of mine had his 8? 4runner stolen and trashed, his locks didn't work at all. It was found on it's side and full of beer cans.

If your realy paranoid you could just take one of the wheels off, it seems to work well with bikes.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

actully i was thinking something like a fuel pump switch under the dash that i could leave on most of the time and just turn the key to start no problems but when i was worried i could switch it off so it would need to be switched on before fuel pump would work again. I am always a little worried when my top is off about how easy it would be to just jump in and use anything to start it
Old 12-09-2005, 01:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by as2sb3100
If your realy paranoid you could just take one of the wheels off, it seems to work well with bikes.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Club.
Anything visible to make my truck look less appealing than the one next to it.

If they really want it they'll get it though...
Old 12-09-2005, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by linuxrunner
actully i was thinking something like a fuel pump switch under the dash that i could leave on most of the time and just turn the key to start no problems but when i was worried i could switch it off so it would need to be switched on before fuel pump would work again. I am always a little worried when my top is off about how easy it would be to just jump in and use anything to start it
Something like that would probably work pretty good. I'd hide the switch though, or even use a switch thats already on the dash, like the defroster button (mine doesn't work) or something.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:54 PM

I dont have a 1st gen, but my alarm disables the ignition. You can turn the key and NOTHING happens if you dont dissarm it first. So even if you have the key you can not start it with out the remote. Unless you know where the cancel switch is for the alarm. But I have it hidden in a place where only I know.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:11 PM

Seems like a fuel pump switch would be relatively simple to wire up... the wires on my 89 are come up under the passenger seat, splice one and put a toggle switch in line then just hide the switch?
Old 12-09-2005, 03:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by linuxrunner
It seems that 1st gens are pretty popular for the theves, who has had there 1st gen stolen and what do you do to prevent it? For example fuel pump switches or maybe just extensive body dammage
Seeing has how my girlfriend started my truck with the wrong key last week I'd say a kill switch is best or high end alarm. Otherwise, a low deductible doesn't hurt.

BTW, had the rock rash last time she was stolen, didn't work.

Frank
Old 12-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

Just spend $10 for a relay and switch and be able to kill the power to the fuel pump so nothing short of flatbedding your truck will be possible or they'll just have to strip it where it sits.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:10 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jacobs ignition includes an antitheft circuit also. Have to ground a certain wire within 30 secs of starting or the engine dies after a minute or so. The more times they try and fail, the longer it stays disabled.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

my 88 was stolen but i caught up to the ass that did it, does that count
Old 12-09-2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by DudeBud
my 88 was stolen but i caught up to the ass that did it, does that count
Story time.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by jethro
Story time.
Yeah, we'd like to hear this one!! Congrats on catching the dirtbag.

vmax84
Old 12-09-2005, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

ahhh ok well it was early 4:00am and i was up laying in bed half asleep, summer time i like to leave the window cracked in the bedroom, I hear a car door open and then the sound of my very tired 22re fire up.

i look out the window and see some punk in a hooded sweatshirt driving off. i throw on some pants and run out the door then jump in my 84 im pretty sure that i woke up the whole neighborhood that night with the 7k super rev take off,not sometime i like doing but i had to. well i drove down the road that i seen the runner go down and could not find it anywhere he must of went through someone's backyard. i started looking around then i spot it on hwy 203 driving back into monroe.

so now i pull out behind him he spots me and pulls over,jumps out takes off running, I run up to the truck and shut if off. cops are all over the place they have been looking for it too.

anyways i never got to take my aggression out on this punk and im glad now that i diden't take off running to get him. i diden't have anything on me but pants and some sandles,who knows he might of had a knife or a gun.

the cops tryed but they could not find him they had k-9's and even went to talk to a bunch of kids about where this guy ran off to across the street and down a block kids out at 4:00am but i bet that this ass was scared when i pulled up behind him. im just glad that we have our 4runner back.

sorry for grammer and punctuation but im tired and seeing double vision
Old 12-09-2005, 11:23 PM

you could pull the coil start wire from the coil start to the distributer. it only takes about 15 secs. to pop the hood and take it out and then 15 to pop the hood and put it back in and i doubt any car jacker will have a spare. that's what i did when my roommates tj was stolen from our apt. complex and i didn't have an alarm. i have one now though.
alan
Old 12-11-2005, 09:20 PM

My brother in law works on Toyotas alot and just joking around one day he showed me how easy it was to break into and steal a truck like mine. He just simply popped the bac window out with a screw driver to get his hand in to unlock the door. And yea anything will start them. One nice feature I like is I can take my keys out of the ignition if i need to run back into the house real quick.

Quick Reply: who has had stolen 1st gen?