Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Where can the 3vze leak oil from ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Where can the 3vze leak oil from ?

So I just got my truck back on Monday from my mechanic putting in a rebuilt motor , and this morning noticed a 3 inch puddle of oil on the garage floor , I'm taking it back to him first thing in the morning but it's eating me up as where it could be coming from the top end of the motor looks dry but underneath is a whole different story ! . Looks dry around oil pan , my worst fear is it's the rear main seal!! Also does the 3vze have an oil cooler ? Maybe it could be the hose on it ? It's killing me cause I dropped so much money .
Old 10-23-2013, 08:09 PM

The long block came with new cam seals and new rear main seal , so I can't see those leaking , then there's the valve covers its dry around both of them and dry around oil pan and there's a concentration of oil around the bell housing but don't know if its from all the oil being thrown back by the wind because if it's not I'm fearing maybe the rear crank seal ?
Old 10-24-2013, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It could be anywhere, really. Hard to say.

Is your mechanic willing to look at it without charging you?

If not, something like this will work: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UV-Dye-UV-...-/230754744531. It's UV dye that you add to your oil, run the truck, and then inspect with a black light. New oil leak will glow.
The following users liked this post:
Broken 4Runner (07-03-2021)
Old 10-24-2013, 11:42 AM

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Gamefreakgc;52131619]It could be anywhere, really. Hard to say.

Is your mechanic willing to look at it without charging you?

If not, something like this will work: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UV-Dye-UV-...-/230754744531. It's UV dye that you add to your oil, run the truck, and then inspect with a black light. New oil leak will glow.[/QUOT

I talked to my mechanic this morning and he told me to spray engine degreaser under the whole front undercarriage and hose it down with the high pressure hose to clean every thing up because it was already a mess from the previous motor and the power steering leak it still has but my power steering fluid is red , but from there we will monitor it and the weird thing is when i got to work and came out 4 hours later i checked under the truck and could only see spots of red fluid and the crankcase is full so gonna start with pressure washing under there for now. thanks for the link to the oil leak glow
Old 10-24-2013, 01:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by clok
So I just got my truck back on Monday from my mechanic putting in a rebuilt motor , and this morning noticed a 3 inch puddle of oil on the garage floor , I'm taking it back to him first thing in the morning but it's eating me up as where it could be coming from the top end of the motor looks dry but underneath is a whole different story ! . Looks dry around oil pan , my worst fear is it's the rear main seal!! Also does the 3vze have an oil cooler ? Maybe it could be the hose on it ? It's killing me cause I dropped so much money .
I wouldn't hesitate taking it right back to your mechanic.
You obviously paid good hard earned money.
Let them clean it and find if there is an oil leak.
IMHO they should have at least sprayed off the under carriage before dropping motor back in.
Some 3vzzzy's come with oil cooler and some don't.

Good luck, hope it isn't anything serious.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by ksti

IMHO they should have at least sprayed off the under carriage before dropping motor back in.

Let THEM do all the dirty work... Personally, if i pay to have a job done, i want it done right, and if it isn't, the person/people who did it needs to be held accountable and fix it. Good luck my friend!
Old 10-24-2013, 02:59 PM

Unless the motor was leaking before they put it in. Then I'm not sure, depending on the shop they might try and charge you since it may have not been their problem. The shop I go to would fix it for free though (they are awesome like that).
Old 10-24-2013, 03:08 PM

Ok I ended up pressure washing the the front undercarriage
And could clearly see it was leaking oil , so I took it back to my mechanic and he said it looks like it's coming from the passenger side rear valve cover , he said its there or coming from the rear cam cap cover , if it's the valve cover he said he would cover the repair but if it's the rear cam cap cover he said he charging me for the labor since I brought the motor to him , so we will see this Monday , so I called the place I bought the motor from and told him the rear cam cover might be leaking he said impossible that oil doesn't pass thru there and that 3vze are known for valve cover gasket not seating well and leaking , he said 99 percent of the time oil leaks on 3vze are the valve covers . Boy I sure hope he's right !!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2013, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ksti

Thanks for clearing up the oil cooler question , my doesn't have it .
Old 10-24-2013, 05:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
And could clearly see it was leaking oil , so I took it back to my mechanic and he said it looks like it's coming from the passenger side rear valve cover , he said its there or coming from the rear cam cap cover , if it's the valve cover he said he would cover the repair but if it's the rear cam cap cover he said he charging me for the labor since I brought the motor to him , so we will see this Monday , so I called the place I bought the motor from and told him the rear cam cover might be leaking he said impossible that oil doesn't pass thru there and that 3vze are known for valve cover gasket not seating well and leaking , he said 99 percent of the time oil leaks on 3vze are the valve covers . Boy I sure hope he's right !!!!!!!
Didn't realize you provided the motor, don't know what kind of warranty or if any would apply.
You might be on the hook for something
Fix the power steering leak also and enjoy your rig.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thinking out loud, If its a rebuilt motor wouldn't he have to pull both the valve cover and the cam cover/plug to do the heads? If so I would say he was the last person to touch it so he eats the labor and re-does it.... If he didn't touch either of those then I would ask him his definition of a rebuilt motor and make him redo it anyways. I know at the shop I work at when we work on a tranny/ rear end if it starts leaking later we fix it -our fault or not.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Krazy Ken
Just thinking out loud, If its a rebuilt motor wouldn't he have to pull both the valve cover and the cam cover/plug to do the heads? If so I would say he was the last person to touch it so he eats the labor and re-does it.... If he didn't touch either of those then I would ask him his definition of a rebuilt motor and make him redo it anyways. I know at the shop I work at when we work on a tranny/ rear end if it starts leaking later we fix it -our fault or not.
I brought him the motor with the cam covers already sealed along with front cam seals installed and rear main seal already installed from the shop I bought the motor from, so he only had to transfer the valve covers from the old motor to the new motor , which is why he told me he would only cover the labor if it's the valve cover leaking or the oil pan which I know is not leaking.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:00 PM

Ok that makes more sense now but then if that is the case I would bring it back to the shop that installed those.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:00 PM

So there is a possibility that it could be leaking from the rear cam cap covers that are sealed ?
Old 10-24-2013, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Krazy Ken
Ok that makes more sense now but then if that is the case I would bring it back to the shop that installed those.
That's why I called the shop I bought the motor from and talked to the owner and he told me he's 99% sure it's the valve covers because he said oil doesn't pass by the rear cam cover ? He said 3vze are known for leaky valve cover gaskets not seating .
Old 10-24-2013, 08:22 PM

it took me 5 tries to get the passenger side valve cover to stop leaking on the last motor, i made sure to get the heads checked so they are not warped and I'm going to be doing it for the second time on the new motor. Last time i even bought newer valve covers. Make sure yours are not warped or missing any of the metal spacers and make sure they are torqued to spec (14 in-lbs i think, don't quote me on that though, that is recollection from memory.) heres a link to the thread i had for it: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...covers-252901/

good luck!
Old 10-25-2013, 08:28 AM

I bet they/PO did not put black FIPG material on the two locations specified by the FSM. The valve cover gasket is not enough by itself to prevent oil leaks. Either that or they torqued it too much.

If you feel up to it see EG2–80 step #7: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...68cylinder.pdf
Old 12-12-2013, 07:31 PM

Ever find this leak? I just got my motor back together after replacing the heads and Its leaking from the back of the pasenger side head. I did have a leak atmy valve cover gaskets at first start up but i took care of that with a smear of black rtv coating the entire Valve cover gasket. The leak stopped and i do not see any oil sepong from the covers. Its running down from about the top of the bell housing down to the shift lever on the passenger side of the tranny (auto). I was able to get my head behind the passenger tire to tryto trace the leak as far up as i could. It appeared to be seeping from my new head gasket on the back of the head. Is it possible
Old 12-12-2013, 07:40 PM

Ever find this leak? I just got my motor back together after replacing the heads and its leaking from the back of the pasenger side head. I did have a leak at the valve cover gaskets at first start up but i took care of that with a bit of black rtv thinley coating the entire Valve cover gasket. The leak stopped and i do not see any oil seeping from the covers any more. The leak is running down from about the top of the bell housing down to the shift lever on the passenger side of the tranny (auto) as well as where the block and trans mate. I was able to get my head behind the passenger tire to try to trace the leak as far up as i could. It appeared to be seeping from my new head gasket on the back of the head. Is it possible for the head gasket to leak oil from here? I looked as close as i could at my rear cam plug but it looked and felt dry...tomorrow im going to,start tearing the top end apart to get a better look....please tell me its not my head gasket
Old 12-14-2013, 08:24 PM

Why would oil be pooled up under the intake?

Quick Reply: Where can the 3vze leak oil from ?